"The Next Big Thing"

Questions & Answers with the one and only Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Weird Al's drummer since 1980!

Moderator: Moderators

undone
Occasional

Post by undone »

On 2002-02-26 04:43, minnick27 wrote:
im sorry, i dont get offended by much, but playing trigger happy just to get back at other stations playing amazing grace? there is a line...

Well, he does live in Killingworth...

undone

--I can't hear "Amazing Grace" without seeing the scene from ST with Spock getting pooted out into space in his coffin pod. And I giggle.
whatmepolka
Occasional

Post by whatmepolka »

On 2002-02-25 02:53, Johnnytimewarp wrote:
Oh and back in April 1999 I got sick of all the commercial radio stations playing "Amazing Grace" and other cheesy tunes to honor the victims of the Columbine High Massacre. On my next show after it happened, I did a special on-air dedication of "Trigger Happy"...

As a professional radio personality.....I am surprised by your choice. Yes, feedom of speech, blah blah, blah.....Believe me, I know.

To your deffense, I will say....if your gonna test the ground....college is the place. Also, those who find your content offensive, I'm sure you might argue, aren't being forced to listen, right?

Even still.........human tragedy, especially on that grand a scale, is NEVER funny.

FYI, I was equally bored with stations "capitalizing" on America's emotional status.

Take it in stride....Just MHO
Diva
Addicted

Post by Diva »

In some ways, "Trigger Happy", which satirizes the idiocy of unchecked violence, doesn't seem all that inappropriate. However, it is also a song that gets misheard all the time. It's similar to a lot of Randy Newman's stuff-on the surface, shocking lyrics, until you get to the bridge or the subtle lines [or the broadest parodic lines, in the case of "Trigger Happy"] that uncover the intended message of the song.

That being said, I would have avoided that one as well as CAGZ for a while after the WTC attack, particularly in that area of Connecticut. There are a surprising number of NYC commuters even as far in as New Britain, or Killingworth, or Chester, etc. A lot of people there were directly affected by the losses at the WTC.

Cheers, Diva

who knows that the people in the 1970s that were shocked and offended by "Short People" obviously hadn't heard "Rednecks"