Cat_Barf: The International Puddle of Mystery!

Questions & Answers with the one and only Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Weird Al's drummer since 1980!

Moderator: Moderators

Cat_Barf
Occasional

Post by Cat_Barf »

I am a junior in high school and I am an unfortunate soul because I am in band. I just want to know if you were in band in high school. Also, what is the term used when a musical selection has two time signatures at the same time? It has been puzzling me for a while so I hope a drummer or another band geek can refresh my memory.

Signed,

The International Puddle of Mystery
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

Thank you for your thoughtful questions!

Yes, I was in band in Jr. High and the theater arts band in High School, and enjoyed both immensely. I also did a little marching around that time, and have been a member (now, alumnus) of the California Junior Philharmonic Orchestra since about 1973.

The term for opposing signatures is ostinato, which was brought to many drummers' attention by Terry Bozzio.

Bermuda
Cat_Barf
Occasional

Cat_Barf: The International Puddle of Mystery

Post by Cat_Barf »

Thanks. Band is a lot of fun as well as chorus. Glad you enjoy music as much as I do. No wonder I could not remember the name of that stupid term because it is really fruity.

Signed,

Cat_Barf
Occasional

Yet another question

Post by Cat_Barf »

Alright, I've broken the ice a little but my drink is still warm (har, har, har). I crack myself up. I am wondering, Mr. Bermuda Schwartz, if you know the modern composer by the name of Eric Whiticar. He is in showbiz somewhat. He writes band and choral works. I really don't know how popular he is around Hollywood but he was our All-State director this year in Nevada. Just wondering if you could clue me in or something.

Signed,

bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

Don't know the name, sorry.
Cat_Barf
Occasional

Post by Cat_Barf »

That's ok. I don't really care. I just felt like typing something last night.