Album recording

Questions & Answers with the one and only Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Weird Al's drummer since 1980!

Moderator: Moderators

Loony Lynn
Occasional

Album recording

Post by Loony Lynn »

How long on average can it take to record an album from start to finish? Or, is there an average amount of time?
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

If you check www.weirdal.com/rcdgdate.htm you'll see that the process takes as little as 10 weeks, to more than 18 months.
Loony Lynn
Occasional

Post by Loony Lynn »

My brain went offline and I musta lost the file, thanks for the download Bermuda. :)
Loony Lynn
Occasional

Post by Loony Lynn »

How many hours work a day (average) does the band put in, when recording an album? :onfire:

These new emoticons are really great!
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

Usually 10-12 hours, and when Al's working on vocals and mixing, even longer.
Moneybags
Regular

Much like chicken pox, knowledge is contagious

Post by Moneybags »

From looking at the official website, I've learned that just because the recording process has begun, this doesn't mean that the album will be finished within a year. However, I have also heard that the band (and the fans, I'm sure) have anticipated the new album's release to be sometime in 2002. With these things in mind, I'm curious about how many tracks you've worked on thus far.
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

Everyone (us included) suspected last year that it would be out this year, but with this year almost half over, and the album not yet half finished, it's hard to know if that will happen.

We're currently working on 6 originals, but finishing the album depends completely on when Al writes the parodies together.

Bermuda
Cat_Barf
Occasional

Post by Cat_Barf »

How long does it take for the tapes and CD's to get produced and then distributed into stores? And 6 originals, that's WAY awsome.
Signed,

Cat Barf
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

It takes about 4-8 weeks after the last songs are mixed and ready to go, before the product ships to stores. Some of the artwork and other layouts are already in progress during the recording of the final songs, so I'm not suggesting that packaging and manufacturing and marketing occurs in as little as 4 weeks.

Bermuda
hamsterpal

Album recording

Post by hamsterpal »

Everyone (us included) suspected last year that it would be out this year

Even if it had been done, it might have been delayed by 9/11 too. Nobody was in a laughing mood around that time, and the record company probably would have figured that out. Just as well things didn't work out as planned, I suppose. Otherwise the album might have been delayed, or worse, released and not do very well. :(