French Al Fan!

The forum where non-US fans can discuss Weird Al and his band

Moderator: Moderators

Driew_La_27
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Signature

Post by Driew_La_27 »

algonacchick @ Dec 28 2003, 06:16 AM wrote: Sporkman, did you see SD's post about French posts? If you're going to post a question in French, why not also post the English version so everyone knows what you're talking about? sil vous plait? *Please*??

Patti
Sporkman probably said that Driew was a nerd; and said not to talk to him; because he's a jerk! :P
In hiding since 2010
The Sporkman
Addicted

Post by The Sporkman »

[quote=""Patti""]
Sporkman, did you see SD's post about French posts? If you're going to post a question in French, why not also post the English version so everyone knows what you're talking about? sil vous plait? *Please*??
[/quote]

Oh, sorry. I was merely commenting about the fact that Driew's a nerd and that we shouldn't speak to him due to his being a jerk. :P

Actually, what I said was "I would like to know your opinion in relation to 'Genius in France' as well." As this was all ready asked, I really wasn't contributing anything to the conversation anyway. Sorry about that.
Driew_La_27
Be jealous.

Post by Driew_La_27 »

The Sporkman @ Dec 28 2003, 02:46 PM wrote: [quote=""Patti""]
Sporkman, did you see SD's post about French posts? If you're going to post a question in French, why not also post the English version so everyone knows what you're talking about? sil vous plait? *Please*??

Oh, sorry. I was merely commenting about the fact that Driew's a nerd and that we shouldn't speak to him due to his being a jerk. :P

[/quote]

I knew it! :angry: ( :biggrin: )
In hiding since 2010
ShigN

Post by ShigN »

Oh Genius in France...
when I head for the first time the album, I don't like this music...the rythm is so different of the others music...
But I've juste read the lyrics of this sound; and it's a music who take the french for dumb and weird man!!
It's strange, have you all the same opinion of French people?!?
Weird doesn't like France?? It's may be because he's never came in!!! You know that when you come one time in France you don't wont to go 8)

I prefer on this album Ode to a superhero, hardware store (brilliant), or more tragic Why Does This Always Happen To...

So...you've to talk now ;)
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Well, I don't think Al really thinks the French are dumb. He was poking fun at how some of the French seem to think Jerry Lewis is a genius. We Americans don't really regard him as such, just as a funny guy. I wouldn't take offense. He's poked fun at other groups as well, like fat people, those obsessed with television, and those who fear things like germs. I would consider it an honor to have Al mock your culture if I were you. :)

Patti
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

No we don't think the French are dumb.

ShigN, Genius in France isn't my favorite song on Poodle Hat either, as you say it sounds a lot different than anything Al's done before. But I think that's because it's a Frank Zappa style parody. I don't know Zappa very well, but those who do say it's brilliantly done. And from what I have read, it's one of the songs that Al's proudest of.

You didn't say what you thought about Couch Potato. Did you understand the references?
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

We like the French! Al was just making jokes about Jerry Lewis. I guess maybe you didn't get the reference. :)
Oh by the way, I've cracked the code.
Driew_La_27
Be jealous.

Post by Driew_La_27 »

:)
In hiding since 2010
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Dreiw, that is not only an off-topic political statement (which BTW isn't allowed) it's also not true.

No more political stuff or I will lock this topic faster than you can say Jerry Lewis.

Topic please?
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

And just to make it absolutely clear, "Genius In France" was never intended to be a political song. It was written and recorded well over a year before the war stuff was going on. It was unbelievably unfortunate timing, but it was not done as a part of this year's needless French-bashing.

As for the content of the song, and I think I mentioned this back when the album was new, I don't think it was meant to really be about Jerry Lewis and the French. It seemed to be more about how another culture accepts something that may not have been of the highest caliber to begin with. France's love of Jerry Lewis just seems to be the most well-known example of that.

And, if I'm not mistaken, the title of the song is also a Zappa reference.

So it was just a whole bunch of different French-related things all coming together. More mixing of cliches than an attack on the people, really.
All Things Yankovic
http://www.dohtem.com/al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Can't breathe like that, can you??"

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;