French Al Fan!

The forum where non-US fans can discuss Weird Al and his band

Moderator: Moderators

algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Thanks, CD. That was a great explanation of the song. I do remember you posting about this before. I used the stuff about the French and Jerry Lewis , because that's what I remembered being discussed first. Thanks for the memory jog!

Patti
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
ShigN

Post by ShigN »

Okay, I understand the music!!
I am agree with the fact that french fan should be proud to get an Al song on his new album!! 8)
But, I can tell you that we don't take Jerry Lewis for a great man...it's the contray, in my opinion I don't like this humorist, he's not funny!!
I think that this humorist is typically American because he made big joke which not very funny!!
But I see that you too, you don't like him :D

Finally this music is cool...but it's not my favorite!!! Sorry ;)

Concerning couch potato, hu... in fact youshould know that I must read lyics on web because my english is not perfect!! And when I heard the final of Hardware Store: I don't understand anything <_< But I love this passage!!!
But I understant more or less the funny caracter of Al song; that's why I like him!! :bigups:

I would like to know if Al made a parody of a music called Closer by Trent Reznor (from NIN band)???
I have seen it in a concert that I have download on the net...
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Hi, ShigN! It's ok of Genius in France is not your favorite. And understandable. But you do like the music, which is cool by me. I love the Zappa sounds in the song. So, no thoughts on Couch Potato, or you haven't seen lyrics yet? Try alsongs.com. Hardware Store is just a silly song about some guy going to the hardware store, then listing just about everything and anything he might find in one! I love it! Al did what is known as a style parody of NIN called "Germs" on his Running with Scissors cd. Parts of the song do sound quite a bit like Closer, and a few other songs by NIN. It's not a direct parody, it just sounds like a song by NIN. Seeing that song performed live was a treat for me, even if I was in Row UU *pretty far back*. Glad you responded! Hope to hear from you again soon!

So awesome!

Al Team #325
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

I would like to know if Al made a parody of a music called Closer by Trent Reznor (from NIN band)???

Hmmmm.... I don't know any particular songs by NIN, but I know that I have heard people say that parts of some song (or songs) is sampled in Germs. Germs is from the Running With Scissors album and is a style parody of NIN.
Driew_La_27
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Signature

Post by Driew_La_27 »

CatraDhtem @ Dec 30 2003, 12:58 AM wrote: And just to make it absolutely clear, "Genius In France" was never intended to be a political song. It was written and recorded well over a year before the war stuff was going on. It was unbelievably unfortunate timing, but it was not done as a part of this year's needless French-bashing.

As for the content of the song, and I think I mentioned this back when the album was new, I don't think it was meant to really be about Jerry Lewis and the French. It seemed to be more about how another culture accepts something that may not have been of the highest caliber to begin with. France's love of Jerry Lewis just seems to be the most well-known example of that.

And, if I'm not mistaken, the title of the song is also a Zappa reference.

So it was just a whole bunch of different French-related things all coming together. More mixing of cliches than an attack on the people, really.

:)
In hiding since 2010
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Hmm, did anyone read my post? I said exactly what you said, SD, only I explained it a little more.

Patti

am I here at all?

So awesome!

Al Team #325
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

:blush: Well, I thought I had read your post. I guess I didn't get it all finished. Sorry. Which is a shame, since you knew the answer and I was just shooting in the dark.
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Ok, I forgive you, Just feeling invisible today. heh

Patti

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

Gee, I sure wish Patti would add her input to this topic. It's like she doesn't even know it exists. :P

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Patti who?

J/K typoqueen. You know I love you!