Al's Russian Fan Seva Is On The Loose!

The forum where non-US fans can discuss Weird Al and his band

Moderator: Moderators

Lauren
Obsessed
Location: on earth in my house in my room on my computer on WOWAY

Post by Lauren »

wow, sounds like you had fun, glad to know that you and your band didn't get hurt Seva
big day!!!!!!!!! :D :)

im on twitter i am cricket27l (the l is a Lower case L, just so you guys know.)
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

It sounds a little like Al's Missing Persons concert, except not so much stuff thrown at you. But you kept the right attitude! :Y
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.
Seva
Obsessed

Post by Seva »

A Missing Persons concert? What's that? Never heard about it before...

SEVA.
"Synonym" is an anthonym for "homonym".
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

Missing Persons was a psuedo punk band who were briefly popular in the early 80s. One of Al's first big gigs was to open for them at the Santa Monica Civic Center. It didn't go over too well with the belligerent Missing Persons fans. They threw a bunch of stuff at Al, but Al and the band stuck it out until the end.

Al's been the headliner at nearly every show he's done since.
This means something. This is important.
Seva
Obsessed

Post by Seva »

WOW!!! That's nearly exactly the same!! :lol: Seems like I'm following Al footsteps here... what's next? Giant potato dancers??

SEVA.
"Synonym" is an anthonym for "homonym".
Li'lGreenLurker

Post by Li'lGreenLurker »

Just to make this topic float up again, here's my 0.02$ on Seva's phenomenon and how Weird Al and this forum have influenced the current Revenge of the Russian Nerds as a cultural fact stated in his White&Nerdy-inspired video :)

As some of you might know, Russia is one of the biggest remaning nerd factories of the world (no offence meant, I'm originally from there and damn proud of it) - I mean, for God's sakes, they still write metric poetry! :) (Let alone use the word "philology" for Literature majors). But, funnily enough, never the Russian pop culture had its own equivalent of the whole Revenge of the Nerds motif - until now. And apparently, the author's only source of the poetics of nerdism, besides, of course, the surrounding realia, was literally Al's world - I don't believe he's been familiarized with the classic nerd images before that, such as Steve Urkel from the Family Matters sitcom, as it was never shown in Russia (footnote for Seva - the character is a yodeling accordeon-playing African-American teenager - even the guy in your video fits in a lot more than he does :).

Anyway, even if it might be too early to speak of trend-setting (hidden nerdism never went out of style in Russia to begin with), in the Russian universe these days I think there's hardly a person of a certain age group and a certain background (some call it nerdy, we call it cultured) that haven't heard about Seva the MC and what he did with the pseudo-gangsta rap of today - and most of that, btw, thanks to Weird Al's music. Those who never heard the original "Steven Hawking in my library" lines might still make it through Seva's parody which says nearly the same, smartly transposed into local langue. Your fellow forum-member (did you know his name is pronounced Seh-vuh, not "See-va" :) is becoming a star as we speak - on second thought, this post is a few months late, he already is one. Go Seva, and make us all laugh again - you still got 'Craigslist' to look up to ;)
WHiZZi
Be jealous.

Post by WHiZZi »

We're all on VKontakte ? :P

Good to see more Russian fans here ;)
Follow me on twitter @ twitter.com/bartdrummer
Li'lGreenLurker

WHiZZi @ July 09, 2009 01:25 pm wrote: We're all on VKontakte ? :P
Actually I was sure he's gonna do VKontakte next, but I think that's too obvious for him
Li'lGreenLurker

WHiZZi @ July 09, 2009 01:25 pm wrote: Good to see more Russian fans here ;)
As for Russian fans - truth is, I happen to know a lot more about Seva's music than about Weird Al, so the moment our friend gets his own English board I'm outta here ;)
WHiZZi
Be jealous.

Post by WHiZZi »

Send me a PM if the forum is ready, always fun to be there. Hopefully it's in English, my Russian is not so good ;) (allthough my girlfriend comes from Russia, so she can read it ;) )
Follow me on twitter @ twitter.com/bartdrummer