RELEASE DATE!

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

But if you rule out the possibility that the May 20th thing is a cruel joke that will be revealed next Tuesday--and take out the possiblities of the usual things such as a new album, compilation, video, movie, CDROM, Edison cylindar, etc.--there's very little it could be.

Unless it's something else, of course.

It's probably a re-release of those edible underwear. It's true that IMDB no longer lists that particular item as part of Al's oeuvre, but that might just be because they've gone out of print.*

*Hawaiian print, of course.
Moneybags
Regular

Post by Moneybags »

Maybe it's not electronic at all. Maybe it's a book. I think my head hurts.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

wouldn't they want some sellable product out for the tour to promote?
I believe Al is the most 'sellable product' that Zomba has. (We all know they acquired Volcano just to get Al's contract.):biggrin:
take out the possiblities of the usual things such as a new album, compilation, video, movie, CDROM, Edison cylindar, etc.--there's very little it could be.
Geez, my Edison Cylinder player is in the shop...
Unless it's something else, of course.

:rockedover: LOL!
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

Because there is a tour that will be promoting "something."
Okay. Good point. It could be promoting "The Videos" too. When Aerosmith put out their boxed set, they rereleased a single and made a video for that song for the first time. If "The Videos" rerelease is to include "extras," what are the chances a new video would be made for an old classic that never got video treatment?

Then again.... Al in a suit looking lilke he's going to work.... *coughDogEatDogcough*
No it doesn't make much sense, especially since (unless I am again mistaken) the parodies have yet to be completed.
That's what he says. But the single wouldn't have to be a parody. He's released originals as singles before, and even some originals off album cycle. "This Is The Life" and "Spy Hard" for example. Both of those are movie theme songs too, so maybe there's a new single or video around an upcoming movie?

Bermuda also said the parodies weren't recorded yet. He didn't say the parody wasn't recorded yet... (okay, I'm really grasping here...)
But if you rule out the possibility that the May 20th thing is a cruel joke that will be revealed next Tuesday

Next Tuesday is April Fool's Day. Weirdal.com has played along on jokes in the past, but I think Al would have better sense to try something this big. Look how April Fool's Day ruined South Park. Viewership dropped off by over half and never recovered. It's different when you play a small joke on someone, but when you promise something big, build hype around it, and don't deliver, people don't stand for that.

It's all speculation at this time. We''ll find out the truth soon enough!

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
Yankovic Farley
Addicted

Post by Yankovic Farley »

If this does turn out to be a cruel April Fools joke... I will be a bit more than ticked off. Anyway, is the pic and In Stores May 20th on the opening page offical "news" and does that count as offical news since there's nothing on the actual weirdal.com page? Ahhhh, confliction is occuring in my brain. If this may 20th is something new besides an album, well then the release date for the new album will have to be between now and June. Speculation is fun to a certain degree... but we just don't have enough solid info right now I guess.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Next Tuesday is April Fool's Day. Weirdal.com has played along on jokes in the past, but I think Al would have better sense to try something this big. Look how April Fool's Day ruined South Park. Viewership dropped off by over half and never recovered. It's different when you play a small joke on someone, but when you promise something big, build hype around it, and don't deliver, people don't stand for that.

Well, I don't know how much hype there has been. Only the regulars to WA.com probably even know about it. However, that comprises Al's hard core fans.

I can't see Al doing something like that. Sure, he's a fun-loving prankster, but to promise something that won't be delivered? I just don't see it. Al takes his profession and his fans more seriously than that.

And that's why I think is not going to be the Album. Based on what Bermuda has told us (he might be subtle, but he wouldn't lie to us) the Parodies are not done yet. As he stated they could be done with a lot of hard work between now and May 20, but a lot could go wrong, and I don't think Al would announce such a firm date without being a lot more sure he could actually deliver it on that date.

I don't think Al is above a good April Fool's joke, but I think it would be something more like the "Official Wedding Picture."

But whatever it is, I have my order in for The Videos, and I am hoping for some extra goodies, but even if nothing is added, I am thrilled to add it to my WAY collection.
weirdalshow

Another Possibility

Post by weirdalshow »

Here's a possibility for the release date that I haven't seen mentioned that incorporates the parodies not being released.

Perhaps there are no parodies, and May 20th is the release date for an album of all original stuff.

That would explain no parodies being recorded, the album being released before the tour, and why the Recording Dates page on weirdal.com has not been updated to reflect the songs that were recorded last year.

It was always updated with "Song for next album" or something like that in the past. It curiously hasn't been this time.

Just an idea.
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Re: Another Possibility

Post by weird_el »

Perhaps there are no parodies, and May 20th is the release date for an album of all original stuff.

I like they way you think. It may not be the case, and parodies are always what sold Al's albums in the past, but I love the idea of an all original album.
Ratbert197
Obsessed

Post by Ratbert197 »

Watever is being released may 20, im still gonna be excited and sleep outside wherever its being sold untill they open up, and quickly open the door, close it, dash in, get it, bring it to the cashier, wait for them to scan it, pay it, get my change, take my receipt, wait for them to return my item in a bag, open the door, close it again, then leave. (see got my game plan all sorted out :P )

I'm still thinking it is gonna be the new ALbum. Bermuda never actually said the words "its not gonna be out on may 20) Im sure bermuda is not misleading us, but i can hope cant i? CANT I!?
Ratbert197
Obsessed

Post by Ratbert197 »

Look how April Fool's Day ruined South Park.

Dave

? How did April Fools Day ruin south park. that whole Terris and Phillip thing was a great idea and i thought it was a riot. It just built suspense more for who's cartman's dad.