Al songs that took years to appreciate

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

avesjohn
Obsessed

Re: Which Al song has grown on you the most?

Post by avesjohn »

I'm ashamed to say I didn't really like "Dare To Be Stupid" when I was first getting into Al's music in my early teens. My exposure to a wider variety of music was limited at the time (which is why the whole "style parody" concept went over my head, causing a lot of songs to be under-appreciated), plus I thought the lyrics and video were just a little too surreal, albeit still funny. Of course, now I recognize the song for the genius that it is, and it's possibly surpassed "Yoda" as my favorite song off the DTBS album.
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Re: Which Al song has grown on you the most?

Post by HappyGilmore »

Airline Amy. It was always a song I skipped. Recently it's really grown on me.
CameronMB

Al songs that took years to appreciate

Post by CameronMB »

I was just thinking about Al songs that I didn't like much at first and took me a LONG time (years) to appreciate. For me there are two examples:

Velvet Elvis - As a kid I didn't really have much of an appreciation for The Police, but now they're one of my favorite bands, so I can really appreciate the genius of this style parody. I also didn't really know why a song about a painting was so funny, but now I get the whole velvet painting/kitsch angle a lot more. I think this is one of his (musically) best originals.

Waffle King - Just a silly and stupid song but for some reason it has grown on me over the years. I think it's a lot of fun whereas years ago I would always skip it. Now I consider it a highlight of what might be Al's weakest album.

What songs fit this description for you guys?
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Re: Al songs that took years to appreciate

Post by TMBJon »

The Check's In The Mail is the clearest example of this for me. I hated it for 15 years and just started to appreciate it a few years ago.

I also always saw Slime Creatures From Outer Space as a total dud until I listened to it last month.
Last edited by TMBJon on Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

Dog Eat Dog and Velvet Elvis. I was pretty young when I first heard these, and I didn't really "get" either the subject matter or the bands he was style-parodying. When I heard the former, I didn't even know that "Dog Eat Dog" was a common phrase...it was totally over my head. As my knowledge of music evolved, I gained better appreciation of both songs. They are now both in my Top 3 favorite songs on their respective albums.
joseyklein
Obsessed

Post by joseyklein »

Checks in the mail, velvet Elvis, mr. popeil and syndicated inc. were all songs I hated, but they all recently grew on me and now are some of my all time favorites

Sent from my PantechP9070 using Tapatalk 2
...our neighbors septic tank was the closest thing we had..
Well, Well, Well
Bob Rozga

Post by Well, Well, Well »

definitely "I'm So Sick of You". for some reason that I can't recall i always skipped it when i got BHD on cd (one of the first cds i ever bought). I even remember the first time i uploaded my music to iTunes i left this track out and for years forgot it existed. now it's one of my favorites on the album. i think i didn't like it because in 1996 i hadn't had a girlfriend so i had no reason to love the song.
taste is only something if it is yours.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

When I first heard Twister, I was not familiar with the Beastie Boys yet so I had no idea what the point of the song was. Now I think it's one of his funniest impressions in a style parody.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

I was pretty young when I first heard One More Minute, and while I immediately liked it, it took me a few years to really appreciate it, especially the "self-service pump" line. I also didn't really understand Dog Eat Dog when I first heard it.
Insomnia
Occasional

Post by Insomnia »

Skipper Dan
Velvet Elvis
Airline Amy
Dog Eat Dog
Good Enough for Now
Good ol Days
Melanie