Al songs that took years to appreciate

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Aedriane
Occasional

Re: Al songs that took years to appreciate

Post by Aedriane »

I have to agree with most of y'all and say Dog Eat Dog. I Want A New Duck and Twister also apply.
AccordionChick
Occasional

Post by AccordionChick »

I'll Be Mellow When I'm Dead (Always used to skip for some reason, but I've listened lately & loved it)
Buy Me A Condo (I wasn't into the whole reggae thing but now it's more tolerable & the juxtaposition is hilarious.)
Here's Johnny (I just remembered it being the song from Short Circuit & I didn't know anything about The Tonight Show before Jay Leno. Al expanded my knowledge.)
I Think I'm A Clone Now (My mom used to over sing the original so I never liked it but the lyrics are pretty funny now.)
Albuquerque (When I was younger it was too long for me to listen all the way through but I just love it all now)
Party At The Leper Colony (I wasn't always into the "Bo Diddley" thing until I learned more about it when I joined jazz band. I also didn't know what a leper was...)
Wanna B UR LOVR (I didn't always understand the jokes, plus when you're younger things about love are "icky")
Trapped In The Drive-Thru (The song's length always held me back, plus it wasn't as exciting to listen to at first.)
Craigslist (I can't believe how much I didn't love the whole Doors pastiche, because it's perfect! Definitely a must-listen on Alpocalypse!)
Concerts Attended: 1
September 19th, 2011 - Pikes Peak Center, Colorado Springs, CO

Some people say I'm the one who got Al to be in an Epic Rap Battles of History.
drewdy9999
Regular

Post by drewdy9999 »

Party at the Leper Colony. I listened to Poodle Hat when I was about 9 years old, and I probably didn't know what a leper was. I've known what a leper is for several years now, but for some reason it was only a few months ago where I listened to the song and understood every single line was a joke about the loss of body parts.
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Took quite a while not to skip Talk Soup. Just never seemed to be all that amusing to me and rocks a bit less than the rest of the tracks on Alapalooza but I don't seem to skip it anymore these days and I tend to sing along quite a bit too so, looks like she grew on me. Ricky, I do like but usually just to watch the video for the awesome old school band session going on in it and on the CD I still skip it. As a kid I loved it much more I guess, still a great track but would have worked out better as one of the last tracks I think.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
Annie27
Addicted

Post by Annie27 »

Well not years, but it took me a several months before I started to like Jackson Park Express. I found it a little too disturbing for me, but I like it now.
Concerts: 5/30/15
6/24/16
3/25/18
7/06/19

"I have to assume my enemies are idiots"- Al Yankovic
Devoted Al fan since the very young age of two
RunningWithScissors
Regular

Post by RunningWithScissors »

I thought You Make Me was lame until I heard it live in 2010. Hearing it live with the energy it built for the start of the show... it was awesome
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Yeah, I can see that. Though I guess you aren't a guitar or keyboard player though, because the solo and song structure is totally awesome and it's easy to see upon the very first listen. Plus, the lyrics are funny and easy to get the first time you run through it. Glad you love it now.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

I don't think being a musician or not leads to whether you like a song. Sometimes you just don't like something

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

I guess but if your a guitar player who loves rocking guitar licks and killer solo's there is no way you wouldn't like that song. Same with something like Stuck In A Closet With Vanna White, as a guitarist it is practically impossible not notice or appreciate the great skill Jim possesses. Someone who is not a musician may just overlook all that stuff because they don't know exactly what he's doing or the skill needed to create something like that, not everyone can. Guess that is why a lot of the originals are overlooked. So yes, in many ways being a musician or not can totally lead up to your opinion or how much you love any song. Not like it's a bad thing, but if you overlook the musical genius put into any song, you are missing a big part of it. Only into the lyrics? Well, that is a bit different.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

I understand your point. I was just looking at it from a non musician standpoint. I took a few guitar lessons and clarinet 25 years ago, but I can still appreciate the nuances in music. I'd say even if I was a musician I'd not like something even if I understood the work put into it. I'm a big fan of Zappa and I know how much he put into his music, but there are some albums I just stand. I can appreciate the work, but I still won't like it.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ