The Ultimate Parody Guide

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Re: The Ultimate Parody Guide

Post by TMBJon »

Hmm wow, I had never heard this. Is there a recording of it? If there is, just PM me please.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Grom
Off The Deep End

Post by Grom »

TheLazenby wrote:I don't know if Al wrote this.
He's come a hell of a long way if he did.
Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Ive had that song on disc for years, never really thought it was a rare thing. Then it came in my email on the Barnes and Barnes group I'm on. Didnt even think to post it here.
TheLazenby
Addicted

Post by TheLazenby »

You never realized that it's, like, not documented anywhere? :-P
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

Just heard The Kinks' song "Father Christmas" over the holidays, and when if first started I thought it was "The Night Santa Went Crazy"! The guide actually has "Don't Wear Those Shoes" as being a style parody of "Father Christmas" (and I can see that, too), but I think it informed TNSWC as well. . .particularly the intro and chorus.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

TheLazenby wrote:You never realized that it's, like, not documented anywhere? :-P

Well since I dont memorize every song thats ever been posted by Al, no I didnt realize it wasnt. But I only heard this once or twice, I got a bunch of Dr D shows from a group I was in. And considering I seem to be the last to get anything rare by Al, it had to be out there!
TheLazenby
Addicted

Post by TheLazenby »

Nah, the intro of "Don't Wear That Shoes" is much closer to "Father Christmas" than TNSWC's is. The intro of that is straight from "Black Gold".
TheLazenby
Addicted

Post by TheLazenby »

Added "Electric Shaver" (I dunno how I missed this...), and amended "Craigslist".

There may be touches of "When The Music's Over" and "Light My Fire" in the music, but the vocals are straight out of "Twentieth Century Fox".
jkm555
Occasional

Post by jkm555 »

Melanie seems to be a style parody of Marshall Crenshaw's You're my favorite waste of time.
M_Robertcop
Addicted

Post by M_Robertcop »

Ok... since no one else mentioned this, I might as well

Virus Alert is not just a style parody of "This Town Ain't Big Enough for Both of Us"

There are elements from other songs as well (as far as *I* can tell)
"In The Future", "Get in the Swing" - both from the album "Indiscreet" from 1975

And perhaps some more but since nobody has either asked Al or Bermuda which songs were the influence for it, no one knows for sure.

If I had to guess it's made up mostly 70s era songs... which is a little odd to me since nearly every chance he gets Al mentions/plays "I, Predict" from the 1982 album "Angst in My Pants" (iTunes celebrity playlist, radio shows, ect) which don't get me wrong is a great song, but the style from those albums is vastly different from the 70s stuff... I dunno just thought it weird is all.