Next Lead Single

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

mrmeadows
Obsessed

Re: Next Lead Single

Post by mrmeadows »

TMBJon wrote:I know some people think it's crazy, but it's at least worth considering "Friday" if Al suddenly had a great idea. I mean the timing is basically exact.
I originally wrote this off as a longshot, but the more I think about it the more I think it could work. Most of the YouTube spoofs have been either songs that kept the original lyrics but changed the style (i.e. the Bob Dylan spoof, which actually wasn't too bad), or parodies that mocked the song itself by exaggerating the insipid lyrics and Black's auto-tuned dolphin voice.

It would be too easy and repetitive for Al to mock Black and the song directly a'la "Smells Like Nirvana" or "Achy Breaky Song", not to mention a little unfair. But as far as I'm concerned what Al does best is taking an existing song and IMPROVING on it, and let's face it: "Friday" has an effective hook. Even if you hated the song, I guarantee it managed to get stuck in your head. If Al could take "Friday" and turn it into being about some kind of pop-culture reference I bet it could be pretty good.
QuantumError
Requiescat In Pace

Post by QuantumError »

sethmartin wrote:In the "Archives" section of weirdal.com, it says that there has been a new recording April 6, 2011. This would make it the final song to be recorded for the album and probably the lead single
Hey Seth, a bit late to the party, but we've been pretty excited over that the past week or so now, it was updated in several topics already. But hey thanks for the good energy and trying to get it out there!

I'm actually not going to be too surprised if it could possibly be something to do with Friday, it DOES really have perfect timing with that to coincide.
FredHuggins
Obsessed

Post by FredHuggins »

TMBJon wrote:I know some people think it's crazy, but it's at least worth considering "Friday" if Al suddenly had a great idea. I mean the timing is basically exact.
I couldn't disagree more. "Friday" seems like the quintessential example of a song everyone asks Al if he's going to parody, and he gives the stock answer "It'd be a little redundant, wouldn't it?" (See also: "Miracles," "I'm Too Sexy")
OneWAY
Obsessed

Post by OneWAY »

I've said this before, but even if Al wants to do something with Friday, it won't be on the album. He could do some concert-only gag with it or maybe another "You're Pitiful" shirt referencing it, but not an album parody.

Now that I think of it, it would've been hilarious if Friday was in the polka... of course, I guess it's too late for that.
8/26/08, 7/15/10, 7/16/10, 7/17/10, 11/5/10, 9/22/11, 9/24/11, 9/25/11, 4/30/12, 10/19/13, 5/19/15, 8/19/15, 8/21/15, 7/16/16, 3/3/18, 3/22/18, 4/20/18, 4/27/18, 6/14/19, 6/15/19, 6/21/19, 9/1/19, 5/31/22, 6/1/22, 9/4/22, 9/30/22, 10/1/22, 10/7/22
JCM
Off The Deep End
Awards: Most Annoying User

Post by JCM »

mrmeadows wrote:
It would be too easy and repetitive for Al to mock Black and the song directly a'la "Smells Like Nirvana" or "Achy Breaky Song", not to mention a little unfair. But as far as I'm concerned what Al does best is taking an existing song and IMPROVING on it, and let's face it: "Friday" has an effective hook. Even if you hated the song, I guarantee it managed to get stuck in your head. If Al could take "Friday" and turn it into being about some kind of pop-culture reference I bet it could be pretty good.
I doubt there's really any way to make Friday any better than it already is, though.
How old was that last signature? I mean, really?
WeirdAlIsMyHomeboy

Post by WeirdAlIsMyHomeboy »

So these are potentially the songs Al himself could make the lead single that we have thought up (even if Al declined, he could be throwing us off) correct?:

Cee-lo Green - smurf You!
Bruno Mars - Grenade
Enrique Iglesias - Tonight (I'm Lovin You)
Britney Spears - Hold it Against Me
Lady Gaga - Born This Way
Katy Perry - Firework/E.T.
Rihanna - (whatever was released off "Loud" is a possibility)
Rebecca Black - Friday
EDIT:
Wiz Khalifa - Black and Yellow

Please feel free to add to this list.
Last edited by WeirdAlIsMyHomeboy on Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

WeirdAlIsMyHomeboy wrote:So these are potentially the songs Al himself could make the lead single that we have thought up (even if Al declined, he could be throwing us off) correct?:

Cee-lo Green - smurf You!
Bruno Mars - Grenade
Enrique Iglesias - Tonight (I'm Lovin You)
Britney Spears - Hold it Against Me
Lady Gaga - Born This Way
Katy Perry - Firework/E.T.
Rihanna - (whatever was released off "Loud" is a possibility)
Rebecca Black - Friday

Please feel free to add to this list.
Don't forget "Black and Yellow" by whoever the hell.
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

I bet anything that its "Born This Way".
JCM
Off The Deep End
Awards: Most Annoying User

Post by JCM »

I bet we won't get a lead single, and it'll just be an album of originals.
How old was that last signature? I mean, really?
FredHuggins
Obsessed

Post by FredHuggins »

I wish...