Vinyl Record Scarcity

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Way_Moby
Obsessed

Vinyl Record Scarcity

Post by Way_Moby »

How hard is it to find copies of ALbums on vinyl? I found "In 3-D" twice in my lifetime, and the last time, I bought it. Out of curiosity, does anybody have a ballpark guess on how many vinyl albums are out there?

Also, since I'm desperately trying to collect his albums on vinyl, but I have had terrible luck are there any tips? Thanks.
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Re: Vinyl Record Scarcity

Post by weirdojace »

The first 6 albums are very common. You can find those on eBay for just a few bucks in most cases. I tend to see a few Al records in used record shops as well...

Other stuff like Peter and the Wolf... well, that's gonna be harder to find.
Well, Well, Well
Bob Rozga

Post by Well, Well, Well »

i love the word scarcity.
taste is only something if it is yours.
JEDM
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by JEDM »

I found the debut album, In 3D, Dare to Be Stupid & Polka Party! all at my local used record shop, and paid about 5-6 bucks each for them. I don't think it'd be that hard to find them. I've still yet to find UHF there, though.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Vinyl Record Scarcity

Post by minnick27 »

I have several copies of In 3-d because every time somebody sees it they buy it for me. I have them all on vinyl, except PatW. eBay and flea markets are your friend
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Anyone wonder if the new album might be released on vinyl? There was that SOL 12" promo and there's obviously been an increase in new vinyl over the last 3-4 years.
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

My local record stores must just suck...
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

Most every major release these days gets put out on vinyl. It's basically standard practice again at this point. It wouldn't surprise me if the new album gets the treatment. In fact I'm kind of expecting it.
Grom
Off The Deep End

Post by Grom »

weirdojace wrote:Most every major release these days gets put out on vinyl. It's basically standard practice again at this point. It wouldn't surprise me if the new album gets the treatment. In fact I'm kind of expecting it.
I wouldn't go that far. At least, not in Australia. It's mainly indie bands I've seen that get vinyl releases.
Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash
spmahn
Die-hard Fan

Post by spmahn »

weirdojace wrote:Most every major release these days gets put out on vinyl. It's basically standard practice again at this point. It wouldn't surprise me if the new album gets the treatment. In fact I'm kind of expecting it.
I think you're overestimating what the record industry would consider to be a "major release", even then, only the most major releases, along with select niche stuff, get a vinyl release these days.