"Cultural Touchstones" Al Missed

Love the music and CD's of Weird Al? Do you have comments on it? You can post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

I started thinking about this the other day when I was watching that fan-made video for "The Night Santa Went Crazy". In the video, during the "there's a van from the National Guard and the FBI..." the animator threw in a quick gag of Mulder and Scully, and it hit me, "The X-Files" was HUGE in the 90s, but Al never did anything with it.

Granted, this wasn't the only thing that he 'missed' or anything, it just got me thinking. What else has passed that was HUGE that Al never really touched. Another one that comes to mind is Harry Potter: I was sure Al would've done a Harry Potter parody, but alas, nothing!
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Re: "Cultural Touchstones" Al Missed

Post by anthontherun »

Harry Potter is probably the biggest thing, although Jace has certainly more than made up for it :Y

I'm surprised that none of his TV songs in the past 20 years saw fit to reference Seinfeld.
Mystik Tomato
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: All of them.

Post by Mystik Tomato »

I can't recall a single reference to Batman in anything Al's done, except for MAYBE Cavity Search which is a hell of a stretch to make.

By the way, before anyone says it, Doctor Who doesn't count because nobody gave a crap about it, especially in America before 2005.
Sever your leg, please. It's the greatest day.
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

Seinfeld is a weird one, especially when you consider all of the other hit TV shows he's made at least a passing reference to.
Oh by the way, I've cracked the code.
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

anthontherun wrote:Harry Potter is probably the biggest thing, although Jace has certainly more than made up for it :Y
Aww, thanks. Kinda surprised Al never jumped on it either, myself.

Al missed out on Britney Spears' heyday bigtime. She should have been parodied during the Running with Scissors era. He also almost missed the boy band craze, but put out "eBay" like 3 years too late. But it ended up being a great parody so nobody cares.
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

Good points about Seinfeld. And I'm not really shocked there hasn't been a Doctor Who parody, since, like you said, it wasn't popular until the last few years.

And the boy bands... yes. Although we did get a NKOTB parody.
Waffle King
Occasional

Post by Waffle King »

I agree,Harry Potter would be the most obvious.But I think there are several bands that are dedicated to Potter parodies,so Al probably doesn't want to tred over that ground.I'd love to hear him do a Dark Knight/Batman parody!He hasn't done many parodies about film/TV series in recent years,and I for one,miss them!
Back off me,man-back off.
QuantumError
Requiescat In Pace

Post by QuantumError »

This is a great idea for a topic!
Waffle King
Occasional

Post by Waffle King »

I'm kinda surprised that Al hasn't done a song about Star Trek the original series,despite the fact that he's mentioned Star Trek in several of his albums.
Back off me,man-back off.
joseyklein
Obsessed

Post by joseyklein »

that means Star Trek doesn't count cause he's referenced it several times before.

By the way.. He totally skipped out on "Full House."
...our neighbors septic tank was the closest thing we had..