Interest Generator

Place your polls here! And if you know a nice Weird Al game, go play it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Re: Interest Generator

Post by Elvis »

I am planning on doing a survivor for singles covers next, and a "better song" competition eventually, so... uh, stand by! I suppose I could fit a "single survivor" in there too, could be fun!

Dave
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

I'd like to see someone run an Internet Leaks survivor poll. I'll gladly do it if no one else wants a chance, but we should wait a bit until one of Dave's two current polls/games have run their course.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

Wasn't there already one of those?
And Peggy
JCM
Off The Deep End
Awards: Most Annoying User

Post by JCM »

Elvis wrote:I am planning on doing a survivor for singles covers next, and a "better song" competition eventually, so... uh, stand by! I suppose I could fit a "single survivor" in there too, could be fun!

Dave
What happened to not making a rip-off of Song vs. Song?
How old was that last signature? I mean, really?
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

Song vs Song has got to be the lamest game on here, except for maybe Weird Al 5 Word. There's nothing to it. All you are doing when you post in that thread is repeating the name of one Weird Al song and adding the name of another Weird Al song.

Dave's games have endings, where one song is named the winner.
Elvis
Be jealous.

Post by Elvis »

I never said I wasn't going to rip off song vs. song!

Anyway, my game's different. It's not one person who decides what song1 moves on. Everybody has a chance to vote. Also there are no repeats, once a song1 loses a match, it's out of the contest forever.

Dave

1 replace "song" with "music video" for current contest
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

Dave (and everyone else), one idea I've always had was a Rarities contest or tournament to determine the best of Al's unreleased songs, but I'm not sure how to determine what "counts."
Elvis
Be jealous.

Post by Elvis »

Yeah, that's a tough one. I never came up with a good way to figure out what "counts" so I try to stay away from including unreleased songs in the games and lists I make unless it's obvious they should be counted, based on the context, or for some other good reason.

Obviously Greg's Songography is the most extensive list of Al songs I've seen by far, but there is a lot on the list I personally wouldn't include for purposes of a contest or tournament. Especially the stuff he's done for TV shows, radio shows, etc., that make little or no sense out of context, and the older stuff from his concert setlists prior to 1984 or so. The key is you want to stick to the songs average fans actually had a chance to hear.

Wikipedia (here and here) also has a pretty thorough list1, though again, I'd weed most of those out and stick to the songs people know.

Jeff Morris' list might not be a bad spot to start, and toss out TWAS songs as they are so short and make little sense out of context, and the holiday greetings as they are not really songs, and then go through Greg's songography and Wikipedia and add any obvious ones that are missing.

Dave

1including, apparently, "Crazy Cow Therapist" :lol:
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

Not to get too deep into a conversation about song trading, but has anyone ever actually heard "More Than A Filling", "Matter of Crust", or "Born To Be Mild"?
JCM
Off The Deep End
Awards: Most Annoying User

Post by JCM »

TMBJon wrote:Not to get too deep into a conversation about song trading, but has anyone ever actually heard "More Than A Filling", "Matter of Crust", or "Born To Be Mild"?
What, what, and what?
How old was that last signature? I mean, really?