Al Remix Album - Submissions Wanted!

Here you can show your graphics skills or any program made of Weird Al.

Moderator: Moderators

AlejandraDD
Obsessed
Awards: Most Violent Reaction to Someone Losing the Al-Man of the Year Award (The Tomato Awards)

Post by AlejandraDD »

Sound is additive. Trying to separate a sound from another, is like mixing red and yellow paint to make orange, and then trying to get the red back. Not going to happen.

And back to the point in hand (and I already asked this in that other topic), I still can't understand the use of having only the guitar part of the song to play Frets on Fire. Every other song you play with the actual song. Just convert it to .ogg and import it into the game.
"Some nerds search Weird Al boards their whole lives and never meet anyone." - uwvark

2019: Fort Wayne, Kettering, Rochester Hills, Cleveland, Pittsburgh
https://www.concertarchives.org/alejand ... l-yankovic

AlFest 2009
JDTurnbull272
Addicted

Post by JDTurnbull272 »

AlejandraDD @ November 21, 2008 03:40 pm wrote: Sound is additive. Trying to separate a sound from another, is like mixing red and yellow paint to make orange, and then trying to get the red back. Not going to happen.
Hehehehe...I like your example there. :P
But it's a perfect way to explain it!
The name is John, but you can call me JD! ^~^
bryce87
Obsessed

Post by bryce87 »

JDTurnbull272 @ November 21, 2008 07:28 pm wrote: No, he knows what he is talking about.
Alejandra is right...the mixes that we took the SOL Naked copies from were out of the 5.1 mix.

It is near impossible to FULLY extract any one piece from a typical Audio recording. There are programs and hardware that can assist you in doing a somewhat decent job, but even then, not all recordings work with these. Trust me, I've worked in studios for the past 5 years as a hobby and we've had tons of kids coming in wishing they could do it. We did the best we could, but in the end, it's easier just to re-record the whole thing and it will sound better.
how do you do it with the 5.1 mix?
I don't leave home without my pancreas.

Bryce
Nerd42
Occasional

Post by Nerd42 »

Oh ... I thought the disc sold in stores he was referring to WAS the 5.1 version ... ok whats the difference between dolby surround and 5.1?
AlejandraDD @ November 22, 2008 02:40 am wrote: Sound is additive. Trying to separate a sound from another, is like mixing red and yellow paint to make orange, and then trying to get the red back. Not going to happen.

And back to the point in hand (and I already asked this in that other topic), I still can't understand the use of having only the guitar part of the song to play Frets on Fire. Every other song you play with the actual song. Just convert it to .ogg and import it into the game.
With the professionally done songs that come from the Guitar Hero and Rock Band serieses, the different instruments are separated so that if you fail to hit the notes, the notes fail to play. People have ripped those different tracks and Frets on Fire behaves the same way. That's the whole point of Frets on Fire as opposed to Stepmania where the notes play whether you hit the buttons or not.

Reguardless, it would be nice to have the guitar part separated anyway just to remix with.

Recently, I took the separated tracks and fretting data from ACDC's "Back in Black" and replaced the guitar part with classical strings to make Foxtrot's "Chamber Music Hero" real! http://www.fretsonfire.net/forums/viewt ... =4&t=30480
AlejandraDD
Obsessed
Awards: Most Violent Reaction to Someone Losing the Al-Man of the Year Award (The Tomato Awards)

Post by AlejandraDD »

Oh ... I thought the disc sold in stores he was referring to WAS the 5.1 version ... ok whats the difference between dolby surround and 5.1?
It is. On the DVD side. But you still have more than one instrument per channel.

the different instruments are separated so that if you fail to hit the notes, the notes fail to play.
Sweet! I didn't know that. Of course, if you're going to learn to play a song, it makes far more sense to me to learn to play the song in an actual guitar, so what do I know?
"Some nerds search Weird Al boards their whole lives and never meet anyone." - uwvark

2019: Fort Wayne, Kettering, Rochester Hills, Cleveland, Pittsburgh
https://www.concertarchives.org/alejand ... l-yankovic

AlFest 2009
JDTurnbull272
Addicted

Post by JDTurnbull272 »

bryce87 @ November 22, 2008 08:20 am wrote: how do you do it with the 5.1 mix?
Sorry, I haven't been on in a while to check this.

They extracted the parts from the 5.1 Mix because there were several different channels, and each channel only had one, or two instruments layered into it. We had to use a special Vob extractor to see those different layers, but a typical Mp3 is layered differently in a format that you can't extract pieces from.
The name is John, but you can call me JD! ^~^
Nerd42
Occasional

Post by Nerd42 »

Sweet! I didn't know that. Of course, if you're going to learn to play a song, it makes far more sense to me to learn to play the song in an actual guitar, so what do I know?
Well part of the point of Guitar Hero / Rock Band / Frets on Fire is that you aren't really learning to play the song in the same way that Microsoft Flight Simulator doesn't really teach you how to fly a plane and the Madden series doesn't really teach you how to be a good football player/coach. In other words, it's a video game. One of the fun things about it is, like a character in a Broadway musical, you can begin "playing" a song almost perfectly even though you've never heard it before if you're good at the game. It's a fun way to relax with friends and it's a completely different skill from real guitar playing in the same way that using dental floss is a completely different skill from bungee jumping.

Where this analogy breaks down is the drums in Rock Band which appear suspiciously like learning to play the real drums. If any real drummers out there read this and know better, please correct me on that.

They extracted the parts from the 5.1 Mix because there were several different channels, and each channel only had one, or two instruments layered into it. We had to use a special Vob extractor to see those different layers, but a typical Mp3 is layered differently in a format that you can't extract pieces from.
Well sometimes you can get what's in both channels of a stereo mp3 separated from the left and right. That's how I created "When I Sue Ya" http://www.last.fm/music/DJ+Nerd42/Cana ... n+I+Sue+Ya

I'm asking if the guitar part, or in other words, the everything-minus-the-drums-and-vocals can be separated the way you describe from "I'll Sue Ya"
flusher5
Addicted

Post by flusher5 »

When I sue ya, is like the best remix I ever heard
Rice in my Laundry, Lice in my Milk.

call me "Ben" not flusher
Nerd42
Occasional

Post by Nerd42 »

Well thanks man :) tell your friends. who knows maybe someday I'll make a career out of this
ludovica64
Off The Deep End

Post by ludovica64 »

Nerd42 @ January 13, 2009 09:59 pm wrote: Well thanks man :) tell your friends. who knows maybe someday I'll make a career out of this

After

IAATP
IWAND
LITF and
WYL,
your "When I Sue Ya" is my next most often played Weird Al track, Nerd 42 :)
<º))))><.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´"Not too stupid..... Just stupid enough!"¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
Jul 20th,23rd 2008
AlFest 1/8/2009
Al's Brain x20
Aug 13th,14th,21st,22nd, Dec 3rd,6th 2010
Aug 12th,14th,26th 2012
Oct 4th 2015