Weird Al Survivor Vii: Game Play Only Thread

All very very very very very old posts are here.

Moderator: Moderators

Akrovak
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Akrovak »

KnottyEmily @ Jul 20 2006, 01:57 AM wrote: Ak, when reading the list of names that were in the crossword, I noticed that DNFA's list had P. Henderson, while the others had F. Henderson. What's going on there?
An oversite on my part? Good catch.

I never claimed to be perfect. And not making excuses, but if you could witness my work load the past few weeks, you'd be somewhat amazed that I could even put anything together (I am trying my best).

Anyway, just like judges make mistakes sometime, baseball umpires might make a bad call, and even Jeff Probst on the show might make a hasty and incorrect judgement on occasion, I am prone to the same it appears. In all (okay, most) those cases, the "bad" judgements still stand ... and they will do so here.

If I was willing to go back in time and fix things (which I am not), it would look something like this ...

16 x 26 = 416 (which would be DNFA's score if I saw that mistake)
15 x 27 = 405 (Carol's score)

If I had noticed it, Carol would have won immunity (because she would have been the first person with all the correct answers) ... but, she was not voted off.

So the results would have been basically the same anyway ... and the tribes would be the same, due to DNFA's point total still being the highest.

:)
PMFL!
KnottyEmily
Obsessed

Post by KnottyEmily »

I wasn't trying to get the results changed or anything, after all DNFA is in my tribe. I just thought I'd point it out.

And I was never doubting your ability as a host Ak, no hard feelings?
The tsunami of immediacy will wash away the flood of grief, and reveal a layer of naive optimism underneath
Akrovak
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Akrovak »

None at all. :)

You were right in pointing out my mistake. :Y

I've been kicking myself most of the day for making it. :lol:

I just wanted to make sure everyone knows that I did not do it intentionally, that it really didn't affect the game, that I will try to be more careful in the future, etc.
PMFL!
Patrick
Die-hard Fan

Post by Patrick »

I see that we have 7:00pm with a question mark next to it. Is this indeed the time, or is this the time, board not crashing withstanding?
Akrovak
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Akrovak »

The next Tree Mail will be posted at 7:00 PM Eastern time on Monday, July 24th ... the challenge will follow shortly there after at 7:30 PM Eastern.
PMFL!
Akrovak
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Akrovak »

Two tribes, not fifteen people
Work together to complete the task
One tribe, Tribal Council bound
The other tribe, in immunity will bask
Grab a wiener dog or a bear claw
Prepare for the all mighty silver screen
The success of your tribe
Is waiting to be evaluated and seen
PMFL!
Akrovak
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Akrovak »

Challenge Number Two (Movie Trailor!)

Welcome to your second challenge, Survivors!

This challenge will test your ability to work together as a tribe, as well as your creativity.

A major motion picture studio located here in Weird Al Survivor Vii land has just paid Al millions of dollars to get the rights to turn the song Albuquerque into the next major summer blockbuster! After seeing the finished product, the studio is ready for a massive ad campaign to promote the 2007 July 4th release of what is sure to be the biggest movie of all time!

And the best part? The studio is ready to hire (in a non factual sense, of course) a tribe to produce the trailer! The destiny of this movie depends on you and your tribe mates! You need to get audiences excited for this movie and hype them up. Of course, they can't take everyone for the job, so that's why both tribes will be pitted against each other, and the best product will be chosen.

All your tribe has to do is write a script for the trailer. You may want to mention some of the huge stars or awesome effects. You may want to write some "scenes" that would be shown in the trailer. What'd the critics think? Maybe you'd like to include some review blurbs. Just let people know this is the must see movie of the year!

There's no limit to how long or short your script can be, but since length is one of the judged categories, you want to be careful it's not too short or too long.

Also, there's no need to make graphics (Posters, movie stills, etc). The promotions department already handled them, and they WILL NOT be counted in your score.

Your completed trailer script is to be sent to me via Personal Message by 7:00 PM Eastern Time on Wednesday, July 26th. I will only accept the FIRST Personal Message sent to me from your tribe, so make sure you communicate with your tribe and are in complete agreement before sending me a Personal Message. I don't care who from your tribe sends me the Personal Message ... as I said, communication and team work are key.

This is not a race, so there will be no points for the first Personal Message received ... as long as your trailer is received by the above time.

Once I receive both tribes' Personal Messages, I will send them off to the studio (non biased WOWAY members acting as judges).

The studio (non biased WOWAY members) will score you on a scale of 1 to 5 based on these criteria:

Hype Factor (As in how much the judge wants to see the movie you just described)
Originality
Humor
Spelling/grammar
Length

I will have the results from the Judges by Thursday, at 7:00 PM Eastern Time (possibly sooner) ... at which time the results will be posted, and one tribe will win immunity, while the other tribe will be going to Tribal Council.

Survivors ... GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Feel free to post any questions about this challenge in this thread. But keep all other chit chat in the Chit Chat thread.
PMFL!
Akrovak
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Akrovak »

Official Announcement

The Second Challenge is over. Both tribes have sent in their scripts. Well done, Survivors.

I will be sending these scripts to the studio (non biased WOWAY judges) shortly, and we will know the result of the challenge as soon as I receive their scores (they will have until Thursday at 7:00 PM Eastern to get them to me).

Tribal Council will follow soon after the results are revealed.
PMFL!
Akrovak
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Akrovak »

I have received all of the judges' scores and comments, and the winner of this challenge will be announced shortly. First off, I'd like to share both tribe's efforts.

One of the tribes submitted the following:

Snorkels on a Plane

Working Title: Albuquerque: The Movie

CAST

Narrator-James Earl Jones
Al-Ross Noble
Mom-Florence Henderson
Donut Shop Guy-Al
Marty-Emo Philips
Zelda-Victoria Jackson

(Open with: grainy sepia shot of putrid-looking bowl of saurkraut, fly is heard buzzing in the background)

MOM: (Off screen; in a creepy voice, a la horror movie) It's goood for yooouu...

Announcer: IMAGINE YOUR GREATEST FEARS...

(Cut to: audience on the plane, cringing and weeping as Biodome plays on the screen in front of them)

Announcer: THE ONES THAT PARALYSE YOU...

(Cut to: AL, in the SIZZLER KITCHEN, slamming his face against the grease fire)

Announcer: THE ONES THAT RENDER YOU LIMBLESS...

(Cut to: MARTY, weeping on the ground in the fetal position as the silhouette of AL w/ chainsaw falls across him)

Announcer: NOW IMAGINE THEM ALL... IN THE SAME MOVIE

(Cut to: DONUT SHOP)

DONUT SHOP GUY: We don't have NO STINKN' DONUTS!!

AL: What DO you have?

DONUT SHOP GUY: Weasels!! (cackles voraciously, as he flings the box of weasels in AL's face)

AL: NOOOO!!! AAARRGH! (general flailing and panic)

(Cut to: HOTEL ROOM. Al is clutching the snorkel to his chest as the HEMAPHRODITE approaches)

HEMAPHRODITE: Give me the snorkel and you live

(Cut to: fight sequence in hotel room, As the HEMAPHRODITE is about to deliver a flying kick to the face of AL, the action freezes and the camera rotates around the duo.)

(Cut to: AL with ZELDA, AL is doing the crossword puzzle while ZELDA reads some flyers)

ZELDA: Sweetie Pumpkin, do you want to join the Columbia Record Company?

(Three ominous organ notes are heard)

AL: NOOOOOOO!!!!

ANNOUNCER: COMING IN 2007... DON'T MISS IT

OR YOU'RE NEXT!

And the other tribe submitted the following:

Albuquerque (The Movie)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Scene: Channel 62.
George, Bob, and Stanley Spadowski are sitting on a couch.

Bob: Channel 62 isn’t doing so well nowadays. If our viewership continues dropping the way it is, we’ll never keep from going bankrupt.

George: Everyone’s got cable and all they watch is MTV and sports. Pretty soon we’ll just disappear like a bag of rotting monkey intestines in a buzzard cage.

Stanley (hugs George apprehensively): You mean I won’t have a job?

Bob: We could switch to cable.

George: But even if we switch to cable, we still won’t attract enough viewers to keep us above water. People know who we are. They just don’t watch us anymore. We need a gimmick.

Stanley: How about a movie?

Bob and George together: That’s it!

Bob: What should it be about?

George: I can see it already! Albuquerque!

Bob and Stanley: Albuquerque?

George: Yes! It all starts with the sauerkraut…

Cut to a scene of George, as “Al” from Albuquerque, in a basement with his mother, as played by Sue Ane Langdon

George (As Al): Hey mom, what’s up with all the sauerkraut?

Cut to George (now known as Al) shackled to the basement wall

Al: I shouldn’t have asked.

Cut to a shot of Fran Drescher as a Stewardess, walking down the aisle of an airplane.

Stewardess: Passengers, keep your tray table up and your seat back in the full upright position.

Cut to a scene of a fiery airplane crash. Al is walking slowly out of it, avoiding the flames. He is dressed as Rambo, and he looks slowly from side to side with a scowl on his face.

Cut to a very short shot of a large hermaphrodite with a Flock-of-Seagulls haircut and one nostril.

Cut to a shot of Al in the New Mexico desert, in front of a sign reading, “Welcome to Albuquerque”.

Al (breathlessly): It’s a sign!

Cut to a shot of a phone lying on the ground. The operator is voiced by Fran Drescher.

Operator: If you’d like to make a call, please hang up and try again. If you need help, hang up and then dial your operator.

Cut to a close-up of Victoria Jackson (as Zelda)’s face

Zelda (in a particularly sultry voice): Hey. You’ve got weasels on your face.

Cut to a shot of a photograph of Al’s face entirely covered in bandages. On the frame there is the inscription, “Employee of the month: Al”

Cut to a shot of Al, dressed as Rambo again, lifting his head towards the camera. In his hands is a chainsaw.

Cut to a shot of Emo Philips (as Homeless Can Collector) bleeding from the jugular vein.

Homeless can collector: Well, is my face red!

The following letters now flash on the screen in succession in large white font on a black background.

A

L

B

U

QUERQUE

Cut to Stanley Spadowski in extreme close-up

Stanley: Be there! Heh, heh, heh.

The camera now zooms out to reveal he has no arms or legs, and is in fact playing Marty.

END

Excellent work to both tribes. But how did the studio folks (un biased WOWAY judges) feel about your efforts?

Judge Number 1 had these scores:

Tribe A
Hype Factor 5
Originality 5
Humor 5
Spelling/grammar 5
Length 5

A perfect score of 25 points.

Tribe B
Hype Factor 2
Originality 2
Humor 2
Spelling/grammar 5
Length 2

Total - 13 points.

Judge Number 2 had these scores:

Tribe A:
Hype Factor: 4.
Originality: 5.
Humor: 4.
Spelling/Grammar: 4.
Length: 4.

Total - 21 points

Tribe B:
Hype Factor: 3.
Originality: 4.
Humor: 2.
Spelling/Grammar: 5.
Length: 2.

Total - 16 points

Tribe A ... 46 points. Tribe B ... 29 points.

Judge Number 3 had these scores:

Tribe A
Hype Factor 5
Originality 4
Humor 4
Spelling/grammar 4
Length 4

Total - 21 points

Tribe B
Hype Factor 4
Originality 4
Humor 3
Spelling/grammar 5
Length 3

Total - 19 points

Tribe A ... total points ... 67 out of a possible 75 points.
Tribe B ... total points ... 48 out of a possible 75 points.

Tribe A wins immunity!

At this point, I am the only person who knows which tribe Tribe A is. But it will be revealed soon.

Okay ... enough waiting around ... Tribe A is none other than ...

SPOILER Lumpy Spuds

That tribe may take this avatar if they so desire ...
as they are safe from Tribal Council. Congratulations.

The Lumpy Spuds submitted the first script I presented, while the second one came from the Couch Potatos.

Couch Potatos, Tribal Council will being Thursday night at 7:00 PM Eastern, where one of you will be voted out of the game. You may use the Chit Chat thread to provide reasons why you should not be the one going home.

All players can also use the Chit Chat thread to discuss the challenge, the game in general, etc.

In addition, here are the comments that each judge provided in their reasoning for scoring the way they did (this information may be valuable in future challenges ... or may not) ...

Judge Number 1:

A:I read through this, and was really interested in seeing this movie! I liked that they had a cast list, and the whole idea was very original. I was laughing more and more as I kept reading. This tribe should be very proud of themselves!

B: I was not as excited about the movie when I read through Tribe B's entry. I was kinda bored reading through it. The idea of using characters from UHF seemed uninspired, and not very original. I laughed maybe once while reading through this one. It was kinda long, or maybe it just seemed that way. I hope I don't sound too harsh. I just didn't like it as much as Tribe A's.

Judge Number 2:

A: This really is an excellent trailer. I really like the "Snakes on A Plane" reference for one thing. Also, I really liked the script for the voiceover for the trailer. It made it seem very authentic, and the lines used after the voiceover really fit well. I also thought it was the perfect length for a trailer.

B: This was also an very good effort, but to me, this trailer seemed a little disjointed. It was somewhat hard to follow and it was too long for a trailer. The premise of the UHF references was pretty good, but the way it was executed confused me.

Again, both tribes put in a great effort, but I'm going to have to go with Tribe A.

Judge Number 3:

A: Comments: They had me at "Snorkels on a Plane". They laid out some of the movie trailer cliches I was looking for very nicely, and of course the fact that the trailer itself is a parody scores some brownie points. I had to dock a point for spelling, because they misspelled "hermaphrodite" a few times, but everything else seemed in order there otherwise. They lose a measly point in length mostly because I would have liked it just a *touch* longer, but it flows well and is gnerally just about the right length. Overall, this had the "feel" I would be looking for in general, and they indeed bring the funny.

B: Comments: I have to say first that I really like what they were going for with the whole UHF/Albuquerque thing -- it was really a very original idea. I think the execution of the idea, while a valiant effort, caused the trailer to sputter in the beginning before it really got going. The idea required more setup at the beginning than you would normally get in a trailer and it affected both the flow of the first half and the length overall. That said, they still brought the funny, and hit a few of the trailer cliches I was looking for (loved the A..L..B..U...QUERQUE individually flashing on the screen).

Extra comments: Both teams did a very nice job. I also found it funny that they both chose Victoria Jackson to play the role of Zelda. I guess it's the natural choice!
PMFL!
Akrovak
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Akrovak »

Tribal Council

(click here if you wanna get in the Survivor Mood)

Welcome to your first Tribal Council as a tribe, Couch Potatos. Tribal Council is where you'll account for your actions ... and also where one of you will be voted out of the game.

The seven people who can be voted for are ...

Remember, you are voting someone OUT of the game ... not for them to remain. Everyone in your tribe is expected to vote (the Lumpy Spuds do not get a vote, since they won immunity).

All votes are to be sent, via Personal Message, to Akrovak before 7:30 PM Eastern time on Friday, July 28th. If you do not vote and send a Personal Message before this time, it will be counted as a vote against you (which could become very important during tie breakers later on in the game). When you vote, place in the subject header of your Personal Message "Vote Challenge 2" ... and in the body of your Personal Message, the complete screen name of the person you are voting for (do not use real names, nick names, or anything like that ... if I cannot tell who it is, it will count as a vote against you) ... and that is all I need (no commentary, not deep thoughts ... do that in the Chit Chat thread). Remember, you cannot vote for any cast member on the Lumpy Spuds tribe.

On July 28th, at 7:30 PM Eastern Time, I will reveal the votes, and the person with the most votes will be asked to leave the Tribal Council area immediately.

You can feel free to post any comments in the Chit Chat thread, concerning the challenge itself, why you should not be voted for, etc. If the chat room is fixed in the near future, most Tribal Councils will be held there ... until then, the Chit Chat thread will suffice.

As a side note, no one should take being voted off as a personal attack, as I have explained before.

Also as a side note, keep all Chit Chat in the Chit Chat thread.

Thanks,
AkProbst
PMFL!