The Big 2007 Grammys Topic

All very very very very very old posts are here.

Moderator: Moderators

weirdalisthephantomoftheopera
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by weirdalisthephantomoftheopera »

I really want to see the Ellen one. I love her and Beef Jerky, so it would be very interesting. I hope to see it soon.
"Beneath this pillow is the key to my release...I believe she misinterpreted my intentions entirely."

~Meli
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Kackythope, they did show the Best Comedy Album thing at the bottom of the screen in the final hour of the ceremony. It appeared as if Lewis Black did not show up to receive his award.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

bottom line: a Grammy nomination can never be considered a "loss."

There's always a certain amount of politics in the Grammys, and this year I kinda suspect there was some influence from outside-of-music politics as well (and that's all I have to say about that).

I'd hoped Al would win, of course, but I didn't really think the Grammy voters would give it to him for two successive albums. They probably wanted to spread the glory around a bit.

And I think that "Straight Outta Lynwood" will still be selling five or ten or...? years from now. He who laughs last, laughs best. :)
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.
Weirdalover
Regular

Post by Weirdalover »

al got screwed al got screwed lol
congrats to lewis black and the other person who beat al that i don't know who that is
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

My quick, worthless opinions on the Grammys:

1. Sucks that Al lost, although I also like George Carlin and Lewis Black. So even though I was pulling for Al out of those three, I was not unhappy to see Black win.

2. Not a big fan of the blue collar comedy stuff, and most especially cannot stand LtCG. I guess every generation needs a Carrot Top.

3. The David Cross piece is pure. . .gold. (Loved Mr. Show, BTW.)

4. Carlos Mencia has occassional funny ideas in his show, but his delivery bugs me. Plus, I can't get past the horrid laugh track.

5. The Dixie Chicks are good. They've been attacked so mercilessly over the years for simply stating an opinion, glad to see the Grammys can be adults about it all, dispense with the pettiness, and reward them based on the fact they have musical talent.

6. Prince, whose talent is questionable, lost.* That is a good thing.

7. I didn't actually watch the Grammys. Would have been bored out of my mind.

Well, back into hiding. :D

Hope everyone is well!

Looking forward to the Costa Mesa concert in June!

Meadows

*Oh, alright. . .I guess Prince is talented. I just don't like to admit it.
Your Horoscope For Today: Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola virus.
American Pie
Die-hard Fan

Post by American Pie »

I never had a problem with David Cross, but I don’t think too highly of him after reading his wonderful thoughts on the south.

“I remember thinking (occasionally, not all the time) "what a bunch of dumb redneck, easily entertained, ignorant :censored:. I can't believe the stupid :censored: they think is funny."

That’s wonderful! He’s so much better than Larry the Cable Guy is. :rolleyes:

Thankfully, I enjoyed all the nominees in the comedy category so I was happy no matter who won. I also think The Dixie Chicks deserve all the awards they got. I thought it was great that Bob Dylan got 2 awards. The only thing that bothered me is I was hoping James Blunt would get Best New Artist.
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes
I'll see you on the Dark Side Of The Moon .
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

American Pie
Die-hard Fan

Post by American Pie »

TMBJon @ Feb 16 2007, 05:21 PM wrote: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satire
It may just be the "dumb redneck, easily entertained, ignorant :censored:" in me, but I don't get how calling southern people "dumb redneck, easily entertained, ignorant :censored:" constitutes a " criticism of an event, an individual or a group in a clever manner."

Plus, I think Cross deserves all he gets from Larry because Cross was the one who started all the mess (Check Cross' Wikipedia page.)
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

He is satirizing Larry the Cable Guy's stand up routine by simplifying his entire routine and appealing to the lowest common denominator, which happens to be exactly what Larry the Cable Guy does in his "comedy" act.
American Pie
Die-hard Fan

Post by American Pie »

TMBJon @ Feb 16 2007, 09:59 PM wrote: He is satirizing Larry the Cable Guy's stand up routine by simplifying his entire routine and appealing to the lowest common denominator, which happens to be exactly what Larry the Cable Guy does in his "comedy" act.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree because I don’t see that. What Larry the Cable Guy does is an act, a very successful comedy act. To say he appeals to the “lowest common denominator” is ridiculous as it implies that only "dumb redneck, easily entertained, ignorant :censored:" enjoy what he does which isn't true. Different people enjoy different things. Not everyone in the world wants to go to a comedy show to hear jokes about politics, etc. Larry does his act based on what people think is funny, and it isn't just "rednecks" who think it's funny. So why David Cross feels the need to attack Larry, I have no clue but it reeks of jealousy to me.