Straight Outta Lynwood Chart Watch

All very very very very very old posts are here.

Moderator: Moderators

Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

:lol: D'oh! I didn't even catch that. Yeah, I meant the gold certification for SOL and the double platinum for BHD at the same time.
Oh by the way, I've cracked the code.
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

Still waiting for W&N's rank, but SOL is at #169 this week, selling 424,495 copies so far.

EDIT: Okay, as far as I can tell, W&N did not chart this week. If I had read and understood the "Hot 100" process correctly, last week would have been the song's final appearance anyway since it had been on the chart for twenty weeks and had been under #50 for quite some time.
All Things Yankovic
http://www.dohtem.com/al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Can't breathe like that, can you??"

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yankovic-Gretzky
Die-hard Fan

Post by Yankovic-Gretzky »

That's a really big drop for White & Nerdy from 74. More than 30 spots. It couldn't even last two more weeks. One in the 80s and one in the 90s. I'll have to check the actual Billboard Magazine when it arrives at my local bookstore. It's gonna take another week.
Now I may be dead but I still love you
My brothers and sisters all hated me because I was an only child
Yankovic-Gretzky
Die-hard Fan

Yankovic-Gretzky @ Jan 28 2007, 12:26 AM wrote: The 2006-2007 Billboard Charts Week by Week: UPDATE!

Straight Outta Lynwood - 10, 19, 28, 35, 38, 42, 63, 86, 97, 89, 82, 81, 85, 81, 85, 105, 124, 151, 162, 163, 169

White & Nerdy - 28, 9, 11, 15, 17, 23, 26, 36, 42, 55, 57, 55, 44, 19, 34, 48, 59, 65, 76, 74 (20 Weeks)

Canadian Idiot - 82, 94, 98 (3 Weeks)

http://www.billboard.com

UPDATED!
UPDATED!
Yankovic-Gretzky
Die-hard Fan

NUMBERS IN COMMON:

Straight Outta Lynwood and White & Nerdy both landed at #s 19, 28, 42

Straight Outta Lynwood and Canadian Idiot both landed at # 82

NUMBERS THAT REPEAT:

Straight Outta Lynwood spent two non-consecutive weeks at # 81 and # 85

White & Nerdy spent two non-consecutive weeks at # 55.
Yankovic-Gretzky
Die-hard Fan

Has White & Nerdy become Weird Al Yankovic's longest charting single of all-time?

20 WEEKS!
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

Yankovic-Gretzky @ Feb 24 2007, 03:58 AM wrote: That's a really big drop for White & Nerdy from 74. More than 30 spots. It couldn't even last two more weeks.
The way I understand the process, and I admit that I might not get it exactly, a single will automatically get bumped off the "Hot 100" after twenty weeks if and only if it has dipped below #50 with no sign of climbing back up. So that's not to say that sales have necessarily plummeted. It just means that unless there's another major surge of sales (such as the jump just after Christmas), the song's progress will no longer be tracked on the chart.

And yes, W&N is Al's longest charting single. "Amish" comes in second with sixteen weeks.
All Things Yankovic

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
running with Dutch windmills
Off The Deep End

Post by running with Dutch windmills »

CatraDhtem @ Feb 24 2007, 11:12 AM wrote: The way I understand the process, and I admit that I might not get it exactly, a single will automatically get bumped off the "Hot 100" after twenty weeks if and only if it has dipped below #50 with no sign of climbing back up. So that's not to say that sales have necessarily plummeted. It just means that unless there's another major surge of sales (such as the jump just after Christmas), the song's progress will no longer be tracked on the chart.

And yes, W&N is Al's longest charting single. "Amish" comes in second with sixteen weeks.
That's not how it works in the Netherlands , a single stays in the Top Singles list as long as it gets sold the number of downloads or singles to stay in there.

In the early years op the Hitparade , we only had a Top 40 , singles stay sometimes more than 20 weeks in the charts. Longest running single was a Dutch song called Huilen is voor jou te laat ( Crying is too late for you ?? ) by Corry & de Rekels ( Corry & the crickets ) , 41 weeks and a high on 5 . Dave Berry - Strange effect was 35 weeks in the charts in 1965-66.
Whenever you set out to do something, something else must be done first.
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

It's sad that W&N had to be bumped, but it's great that it was Al's longest-charting single. That's another great SOL-related milestone for Al!
Oh by the way, I've cracked the code.
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

running with Dutch windmills @ Feb 24 2007, 08:01 AM wrote: That's not how it works in the Netherlands , a single stays in the Top Singles list as long as it gets sold the number of downloads or singles to stay in there.
Ideally, that's probably how it should be for most charts, but I guess the theory is that after a certain amount of time all of these older singles with no current promotion or serious airplay might be crowding the bottom half of the chart, preventing newer songs from entering or having a chance to climb. They probably feel that it wouldn't be fair for a new single to not be able to debut at, say, #99 if it's being blocked by a couple of songs from 2004 that are surviving on 2,000 downloads a week. I don't really agree with that logic, mind you, but I can understand it.

And for those of you really hungry for chart trivia, here is a list of the lengths of Al's stays on the "Hot 100" (or "Bubbling Under")....

White & Nerdy - 20 weeks
Amish Paradise - 16 weeks
Eat It - 12 weeks
Smells Like Nirvana - 11 weeks
Gump - 9 weeks
Ricky - 8 weeks
Like a Surgeon - 8 weeks
Headline News - 8 weeks
King of Suede - 6 weeks
I Lost on Jeopardy - 3 weeks
Canadian Idiot - 3 weeks
Another One Rides the Bus - 2 weeks
I Love Rocky Road - 2 weeks
Fat - 2 weeks
EBay - 1 week
All Things Yankovic