Weird Al Survivor IX - Gameplay Thread - WINNER REVEALED!

All very very very very very old posts are here.

Moderator: Moderators

minnick27
Off The Deep End

Re: Weird Al Survivor IX - Gameplay Thread

Post by minnick27 »

First off, congratulations to the two of you. I would much rather be on your side of the game than mine, but you two deserve to be there, albeit for different reasons. I cannot lie and say I didnt know who I would be voting for from the point of my expulsion, if not before. I have one question for whomever wants to answer: WHY GET RID OF ME? I WAS GONNA GIVE EVERYONE A PIECE OF GUM! Good luck to both of you.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Hey Mike! Wow, if I'd known you would offer a piece of gum, things might have gone differently...
To answer your question, voting you out was just a bit of unfortunate timing. If you recall, both Dave and Dingo had earned immunities and we were still in the stage of the game where it was advantageous to vote out former members of the Jungle Cruise Guides. It was a choice between you and Wizzerkat, and I just decided to vote you out first as you seemed a little more threatening since you know Dave pretty well through going to concerts and therefore assumed you were a more integral part of his voting alliance.
As for the larger question that many seemed to ask at the time about why we were voting out JCGs early on, forcing us to take tougher votes later on, I think that strategy has been vindicated as none of the later votes were particularly difficult ones to take. The main reason for doing this was because I knew I could have somewhat decent control over how the Minor Celebrities would vote, however I had no idea what strategies had been discussed among the JCGs and preferred to eliminate that unknown threat as quickly as possible.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

Jon, following up on the Stephen train of thought, there's something I'd like to know.

Stephen had an immunity.

Was there an active effort to convince him not to play it, or did you and your co-horts on that vote risk him forgetting it?

I ask because I feel this was the real turning point in the game. Even though the MCs dominated in the tribal phase, I feel that if Stephen switched - and he was our #1 choice that kidnapping - it would've at least bought the JCGs a way back in the game.

Also, was that a feeling that was held by the MC tribe about that vote? Was there a level of urgency to vote Stephen out that round because of fears that he might switch (And Casey, you can chime in on that one too).

I would like to congratulate you both. This one is a tough call for me.
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

Thanks to anth, minnick and dingo for having us, first of all. Now, to answer dingo's question, I believe Jon put is best when he said he only thought to rally the MCs to vote out Stephen just because he was "actively scheming to win the game" and not necessarily because he won a special immunity idol (which I was under the impression he never thought to figure out how to play before he got voted out). I personally never discussed Stephen's immunity with him or tried to tell him when or how he should play it. I don't recall whether Jon might have done this either, but he might want to answer to that himself. At the time, Jon merely gave me the impression that Stephen was just super paranoid about getting voted out and that he was the only person who wanted me gone. However, Jon's opening statement* puts this impression in a new perspective for me. I had also gotten an impression about Stephen that "his ego was bigger than his worth" (which is, ironically enough, what Stephen himself said to me as he tried to convince me to vote out Ryan that round). Reading his "parting words" where he put forth that we all vote dhim out because he was the best player and teh biggest threat to everyone and what not makes me think I must have been on to something there. Stephen confronted me after he got voted out and even claimed to be "looking out for me" because everyone else wanted me gone, but obviously Jon claimed otherwise and I chose to take Jon's word over Stephen's.

To sum up, I personally didn't think Jon or any of the one time MCs took Stephen's immunity into consideration when we unanimously voted him out of the game. Hell, I don't even think Stephen himself took his own immunity into consideration before trying to get me voted out while convincing me to vote for Chris since he never got a chance to actually play it. I think the decision to vote him out was influenced mostly by Jon's previous experience witnessing his "backstabbing" and "shady alliances" with other teammates firsthand in a previous edition of the game.

*Speaking of "opening statements", could anybody else tell that I was up typing mine at 2AM last night?
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

BTW, jurors, please post your questions & statements by Wednesday, May 30 at 8 PM EDT--Jon and Casey seem to be answering them relatively quickly, so I'll ask that they make sure they've answered everything 24 hours from that point...after which I'll officially have the jury begin voting.

Carry on!
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Dingo, a great question.
I knew Stephen had the immunity idol and was indeed worried that he might play it. In fact, it weighed heavily into my decision to go after him when I did. The more turns that went by where he didn't play the idol, the more likely it was that any effort to vote him out would be thwarted. Thus, I decided to be pro-active about it and vote him out before he could have seen it coming. However, at no point did I discuss with him whether or not he should use it in that round. Indeed it was quite a risk in assuming he would not catch wind of what was coming. (In fact, I owe a debt to Big Spoon whom I told about the plan but he had already voted the way Stephen had suggested.) Had Stephen played his immunity, or had I not whipped enough votes against him and fell short, it would have been very embarrassing and he certainly would have figured out I was behind it, and then I am sure he would have been on a crusade to vote me out the rest of the game.
Stephen had also expressed interest to me that he might consider switching if he were kidnapped during that round. He claimed he would act as a mole, though I wondered at the time what would be in it for him if he did so, and thus determined that he would have benefitted the JCGs much more than he possibly could have even if he were a mole working with your team. At the time, it just felt like the perfect storm of the multitude of reasons I've listed here and in the previous post converging at the same time. It certainly did not help his case that he was going around trying to get everyone to vote out Chris, which I think mostly led to people being annoyed with him and thus made it easier to decide how to vote.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
yankochick38
Be jealous.
Location: The comfort of my own home and Weird Al's chest hair

Post by yankochick38 »

TMBJon wrote: One example comes to mind: when we were putting together the music video, Casey waited until very close to the deadline to send Alicia his part and when she received it, there was no audio included. This put Alicia in a real bind as the entire edit had to be put on hold while we waited for Casey to re-record his video the following day, and she had to edit everything at the absolute last minute and even necessitated a request for a short extension in order for the video to upload to YouTube.
ohmygosh just reading this made me feel stressed out all over again.
This isn't really a question, I just wanted to say that reading things on the Internet makes me emotional.

Anyway you guys are great.

OH

Q: Of the two of you, who would you say is more of a hottie? This is solely what I base my voting on in every situation.
Weird Al Yankovic is one busy daddy
YNN: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUOwVDpf5zQrXyKPPJWxs-Q
I abused my power and learned nothing!
-Alicia
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

Q: Which challenge provided the biggest "challenge" for each of you and which challenge was the easiest?
And Peggy
Wizzerkat
Off The Deep End

Post by Wizzerkat »

Ok, for both:

1. Was there anyone you had an alliance arrangement with prior to the game or that you asked to join thinking you might be able to use/work with them?

2. Was there anyone during gameplay that you felt you could more easily bend to your way of thinking?
Is my dude a dweeb?
RyanHippFTW
Off The Deep End

Post by RyanHippFTW »

A couple of questions for Casey:

- Was that "thanks for having us" thing supposed to be some sort of joke or was it you trying to sound smart or formal or whatever? Be honest here, don't pull any of that Tommy Zissou smurf.
- Why do you still try so desperately to either be like Tony Goldmark or to earn his approval?
- Do you ever seriously think about something you're about to do on the internet before you do it?
- Please try and explain your Twitter. You take Weird Al way too seriously.
- Please try and broaden your interests. There is more to life than Weird Al and SNL.

one question here was a little too personal