If That Isn't Love

Moderator: Moderators

mrmeadows
Obsessed

Re: (spoiler) If That Isn't Love

Post by mrmeadows »

Did we ever figure out if the "power ballad" Al mentioned some time ago was something other than the "MySpace" collaboration he did with Amanda Palmer, Francis Bean Cobain, etc? I remember that being referred to as a "power ballad", but did Al say that this new album would also have one? I hope so, and I hope this is it. Going by the title, it could be a nice style parody of one of Guns & Roses or Journey's love ballads.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Yeah, the ballad is for this album.
NH Weird Al Fan
Addicted

Post by NH Weird Al Fan »

mrmeadows wrote:Did we ever figure out if the "power ballad" Al mentioned some time ago was something other than the "MySpace" collaboration he did with Amanda Palmer, Francis Bean Cobain, etc? I remember that being referred to as a "power ballad", but did Al say that this new album would also have one? I hope so, and I hope this is it. Going by the title, it could be a nice style parody of one of Guns & Roses or Journey's love ballads.
Bermuda mentioned on a drum forum that there would be a big ballad song on the next album.
8/11/07 Beverly
7/15/08 & 6/26/10 Gilford
8/22/10 Ventura
10/15/11 Boston
5/10/12 Lowell
10/19/12 Beverly
6/7/13 Lebanon
6/8/13 Keene
10/5/13 Hampton
6/4/15 Concord
6/6/15 Foxwoods
8/4/15 NewBedford
9/1/16 Lowell
9/2/16 Gilford
9/14/16 Providence
giantlobsterrobot
Regular

Post by giantlobsterrobot »

Much like track 12, I have given this one a bit of thought as to what it could be styled after. I believe this is the Taylor Hanson piano song, and it is probably a Hanson style parody similar to "This Time Around." This is just a prediction though.
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

Noticing that Elvis Presely has a song also titled If That Isn't Love. Any chance of this being an Elvis style parody?
And Peggy
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

YDLMA was an Elvis style. Although Al doing one of Elvis' more over the top production wise songs of the 70's would work
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

minnick27 wrote:YDLMA was an Elvis style. Although Al doing one of Elvis' more over the top production wise songs of the 70's would work
YDLMA? I've never heard any Elvis in that song. What Elvis song are you thinking that sounds like?

OMM is a clear Elvis style parody though, more precisely it's a style parody of the Elvis style parody that was featured in "Top Secret!"

It's certainly possible this is an Elvis style parody. He's used similar titles for style parodies before (WBUL). But with OMM, it seems unlikely he'd do another Elvis style parody. Plus, I'd think if he were going to do Elvis again, he'd do it in a different Elvis style rather than doing another ballad.

On the other hand, given how much the band dislikes performing OMM, and given that WBUL has been on the setlist a while, this could in fact be the new concert love ballad to replace those two. In that case, another Elvis style parody would be appropriate.
JCM
Off The Deep End
Awards: Most Annoying User

Post by JCM »

One More Minute was not funny at all, and if Al decided to go another route with the Elvis style parody, it would be the greatest thing ever.
How old was that last signature? I mean, really?
Yankovic Farley
Addicted

Post by Yankovic Farley »

I couldn't disagree more about One More Minute, JCM.

Also, Ray Charles had a song called "Ain't That Love."
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

JCM wrote:One More Minute was not funny at all, .
Now THAT has got to be the minority opinion of the year on this forum!