Whatever You Like

Moderator: Moderators

weirdalisthephantomoftheopera
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by weirdalisthephantomoftheopera »

I really like this whole album cover discussion, mostly because its one of those thing I've thought about while staying up late on a night much like this one. While Al quickly wrote and recorded this song, its clear that little time went into the cover.

However, I can see why... somewhat. I mean, without a video, how would a cover idea form? If there were a video, a picture of Al in costume could have been used. But there was no video, so a random costume might be suggesting a video that wasn't planned. Plus, in all honesty, what would you have put as a cover. Money? He sort of covered that with the diamond lettering. Without it being a cheesy cover, Al made something that would suffice as a sort-of picture with song title and his name.

Trust me, I'm not saying that its a good cover and I fully agree with your ideas, but I don't necessarily blame and/or get really upset about it.
"Beneath this pillow is the key to my release...I believe she misinterpreted my intentions entirely."

~Meli
ludovica64
Off The Deep End

Post by ludovica64 »

AlejandraDD @ November 16, 2008 05:19 am wrote: Well, I'm bringing the discussion on the cover art on this topic. After all, we're talking about the song here.

I'm not sure what's the story behind it, and I might eventually sympathize if I hear something like "well, we *had* to come up with something, but we were trapped in a snow blizzard and we could see the four horsemen of the Apocalypse through the window". I mean, I don't know, it might be one of those "you had to be there" kind of things.

But here are two of my main problems with it:

A. It doesn't have Al's pretty face in it
and
B. The cover art IS! NOT! FUNNY!

Problem A is mostly a personal problem, and I understand if you tell me to deal with it. But problem B... well, it's a problem for everyone.

Let's not forget that Al is a musician, and selling songs is part of his business. Now, we love Al and he doesn't need to try to sell us anything. Hell, we'd probably throw ourselves in front of a train if he asked us to! But the other 99.9% of potential customers don't read Al's MySpace Blog, the Yank Blog, or have the "weird al yankovic" alert on Yahoo News (what? why are you looking at me like that). So he needs to reach those people somehow. And if you consider the fact that iTunes didn't help with the advertising at all, what was left? Al's "brand" (his name and reputation), and the album cover.

And that album cover just... *sigh*. Seriously. I have no idea what they tried to do with that. (Again, maybe if it was explained to me. Maybe.) The cover for Running with Scissors? Funny. The cover for Poodle Hat? Hilarious! (The man had a freaking dog on top of his head!) Sure, those covers don't tell you what the songs are about, but they do a good communication job, letting you know that if you buy those albums, there's going to be something funny inside. And the cover for WYL, well, just doesn't. (And the cover for Polka Party didn't either, but that's a story for another day)

So, in conclusion, I have waaaaaay too much free time on my hands, and here's my "parody" of the cover "art", because I need to amuse myself somehow.
AWESOME post Alejandra.....

As usual you have hit the nail on the head. There is a marketing problem here for sure.
... your parody is great! lol

Meli.. I think Al on the cover lampooning some shot from the TI video would have got the message over pretty well with relatively small expense maybe?
<º))))><.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´"Not too stupid..... Just stupid enough!"¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
Jul 20th,23rd 2008
AlFest 1/8/2009
Al's Brain x20
Aug 13th,14th,21st,22nd, Dec 3rd,6th 2010
Aug 12th,14th,26th 2012
Oct 4th 2015
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Am I the only person who thinks the cover art of Straight Outta Lynwood is hilarious??
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
AlejandraDD
Obsessed
Awards: Most Violent Reaction to Someone Losing the Al-Man of the Year Award (The Tomato Awards)

Post by AlejandraDD »

There is a Preview function on iTunes.
Yeah, but you only preview a song if you're interested in it somehow. I doubt most people run around previewing every single song on the New Releases section.

Am I the only person who thinks the cover art of Straight Outta Lynwood is hilarious??
No. Once again, it's the dog that makes it funny.
"Some nerds search Weird Al boards their whole lives and never meet anyone." - uwvark

2019: Fort Wayne, Kettering, Rochester Hills, Cleveland, Pittsburgh
https://www.concertarchives.org/alejand ... l-yankovic

AlFest 2009
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Ok, maybe a picture of Al would have been the better idea. Then people might have been a little more curious.
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Scarlatti
Addicted

Post by Scarlatti »

I agree, an Al pic might have marketed better.

But maybe Al chose the cover because, as he did with the song title, he wanted to confuse people. Maybe this could lead to a new audience. I've seen people looking on iTunes and avoiding Al, cause they think the album cover means its not 'real' music. People could therefore be more willing to download WYL if the album cover suggests something other than comedy music. This could lead to a whole new bunch of Al fans who listen to WYL and think 'this ain't bad...Im gonna listen to more of this Al guy'

Well, thats what I think anyway. :F
SHUT UP!! JUST SHUT UP!!
ludovica64
Off The Deep End

Post by ludovica64 »

You could have a point there
<º))))><.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´"Not too stupid..... Just stupid enough!"¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
Jul 20th,23rd 2008
AlFest 1/8/2009
Al's Brain x20
Aug 13th,14th,21st,22nd, Dec 3rd,6th 2010
Aug 12th,14th,26th 2012
Oct 4th 2015
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

DonnaNoble @ November 16, 2008 01:57 am wrote: While WYL is an awesome song, people aren't going to KNOW that before they buy it... I think a funny cover would have helped this song out a lot!!!
I know I sound like a broken record here, but I still think he made a huge mistake giving the parody the exact same title as the original song. I guess he was counting on people searching iTunes for "Whatever You Like" but if he had called it something else and had "(Parody of 'Whatever You Like' by T.I.)" afterwards, it still would've shown up. Don't get me wrong; the main reason WYL didn't make a huge impact like "Amish Paradise," "Eat It," or "White and Nerdy" is the lack of a video, because that's always been the #1 promotional tool for Al in getting his songs out to the masses. But the reused title and artwork that didn't exactly emphasize "Weird Al release" couldn't have helped.
I'm ranking every Beatles song on my new pop culture blog. Check it out!
https://anthonycusumano.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

AlejandraDD @ November 16, 2008 05:46 am wrote: Once again, it's the dog that makes it funny.
I think it's the Al posing like the stereotypical rap star album cover pose that makes it funny.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
DonnaNoble
Off The Deep End

Post by DonnaNoble »

:ph34r: wrong :P
Oh snap!