Skipper Dan

Moderator: Moderators

Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Re: Skipper Dan

Post by Teh Dingo »

Calling DJBS...DJBS, line 1.....
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
AlejandraDD
Obsessed
Awards: Most Violent Reaction to Someone Losing the Al-Man of the Year Award (The Tomato Awards)

Post by AlejandraDD »

I've been doing mashups in my head with another song from the album which I can't recall right now :blink:
"Some nerds search Weird Al boards their whole lives and never meet anyone." - uwvark

2019: Fort Wayne, Kettering, Rochester Hills, Cleveland, Pittsburgh
https://www.concertarchives.org/alejand ... l-yankovic

AlFest 2009
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

I was going through my mom's stash of old photos and I found a few from our 1975 trip to Disney World including this one from The Jungle Cruise

"This is an African Bull Elephant"
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Thats pretty funny/
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
weird user
Addicted

Post by weird user »

I really like this song. I can identify with the character in this. I've wanted to be an actor and writer since middle school, but by now I still haven't achieved that at all (aside from making videos on YouTube, my channel for those interested is called mwermuthland), though I never took any acting classes (the closest being Communnications Technology, a computer and video making class).

One thing I noticed is that, while the song and music video are really good, neither seems to be very (intentionally) funny. I thought the "Look at those hippos, just wiggling their ears, just like they did for the last 50 years" line was a little funny (though not comedic gold), and also laughed at the "what have I done with my live???" line, but otherwise seems more interesting than funny. The plot of the song seems like it would make a good movie.

I also thought the lyrics to If That Isn't Love were great but not too funny, but the music video for that really was funny (seems the joke is lost without the music video). I wonder if Al was trying to go for a few more serious songs in addition to his funny works. Of course most of Al's videos are a lot funnier than the songs, and considering every song on this album has a music video, I wonder if Al tried being serious thinking the videos would make up for it (though I'm pretty sure Al didn't have much creative involvement with the animated videos, so if a music video isn't funny it's probably somebody elses fault).
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Skipper Dan

Post by Kevbo1987 »

I definitely wouldn't call Skipper Dan a "serious" song. I agree that the lyrics aren't laugh-out-loud funny, but I think the concept of an aspiring actor who ultimately ends up working on the Jungle Cruise ride is very funny. It is a bit of a darker song, but it's still funny.
Oh by the way, I've cracked the code.
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

Skipper Dan is at the top of my list for Al songs.

Brilliantly done song.

Dunno why people hate it much aside from the Weezer connections. :unsure:
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

And how can you hate Weezer!
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Song is always so great live, especially last night, you could tell the guys were kickin' it up a notch.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

Yankomaniac wrote:Song is always so great live, especially last night, you could tell the guys were kickin' it up a notch.
It is amazing live. Agree with you there.
Way_Moby wrote:And how can you hate Weezer!
Cause it's, you know, WEEZER. :F

On a note...I do like Weezer.