Moderator: Moderators

scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

CNR

Post by scottidog »

Yup. It's out there. Discuss.
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

I think the song is just okay. It's kind of funny, but not great. Definitely the weakest of the Internet Leaks thus far. I asked this in the spoiler section, but does anyone know why the verse was cut from the video (other than "to make it shorter")?
And Peggy
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Link for the clueless. Of which I am. Thanks Nancy for the facebook heads up.
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

It was okay. I got the joke, but eh... I dunno. Is it really enough to sustain a song? Better than Craigslist anyhow. Skipper Dan is still the best.

Internet Leaks ranking:
1. Skipper Dan
2. CNR
3. Whatever You Like
4. Craigslist
http://nuclearbubblewrap.bandcamp.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

First impression: Great.

The concept is hilarious - talking about Charles Nelson-Reilly in any capacity is ridiculous. And I'm a big fan of the White Stripes and I think Al, Jim, and Bermuda really nailed their style well. I've only listened once (I'm at work) but I will have more thoughts later.

EDIT: As I've been saying in the spoilers thread, the more familiar you are with CNR the funnier this really is.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

I enjoyed it--the guitar work in particular was excellent. I guess if I have one complaint it's that the lyrics just sort of...end. Which in some ways is inevitable because by definition Chuck Norris/Charles Nelson Reilly facts can't really be topped. Each one is just too extreme on its own. Taking everything into account though, a really good song, but not nearly as stellar as "Skipper Dan."
I'm ranking every Beatles song on my new pop culture blog. Check it out!
https://anthonycusumano.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

I feel like this is the "I'll Sue Ya" of this album.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
GreenEggs&Ham
Die-hard Fan

Post by GreenEggs&Ham »

I absolutely love the song and video! Glad everyone here suggested to look up Charles Nelson Reilly beforehand, really helped me understand what an interesting person Al's singing about. Also, I find it oddly hilarious, others might not, but that's probably because I've been growing up hearing these kind of Chuck Norris-esque jokes thrown around for a few years now, and many of them are quite ridiculous like these from CNR. (I.E. Chuck Norris lost both of his legs in a car accident and still managed to walk it off.)

If you don't really like the song, the music video's animation and almost live-action effects are awesome, definitely beats Do I Creep You Out for me. My favorite expression that Al gives in this music video is after Charles throws Bermuda and comes towards Al, leaving him to grab his guitar and run (in a very funny fashion I might say...or maybe it's just me who finds that funny.) Al and Bermuda are lookin' good in this video though! Hehe.

Although the third nipple thing...ew. :rolleyes:
You can call me GEAH (GreenEggs&Ham) or Kat...I'll respond to either one.
albinodwarf27
Addicted

Post by albinodwarf27 »

scottidog @ August 04, 2009 01:49 am wrote: Link for the clueless.  Of which I am.  Thanks Nancy for the facebook heads up.
You're welcome - and I should thank Steve Chai, he spotted it first.

The video still has me laughing, I adore JibJab and am old enough to be very familiar with Charles Nelson Reilly. As TMBJon already pointed out, they really nailed the White Stripes' sound.
We don't fight, we all play nice
living in an Amish paradise
Tony Goldmark
Occasional

Post by Tony Goldmark »

This might just be Al's GREATEST SONG EVER!!! Certainly my favorite of the new batch so far, and probably my favorite since "Virus Alert."

My favorite Al songs are the ones where he's allowed to go completely bonkers with the lyrics and ideas - see also "Dare To Be Stupid," "Everything You Know Is Wrong" and "Albuquerque." Combine that with White Stripes music, anything-goes animation and the man himself CHARLES NELSON FREAKING REILLY, and there's no way you can go wrong. Shame Reilly himself couldn't have lived to hear this.

Unfortunately, due to the public's appalling lack of shared cultural history, Al's gonna get the same kinds of questions on this that he got with Eddie Vedder. So for those who seek the answers to the mysteries of life, allow me to educate thee on the magic of CNR.