The Big Alpocalypse Topic

Moderator: Moderators

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Re: The Big Alpocalypse Topic

Post by TMBJon »

Wizzerkat wrote:Oooh, Dave, you should work for the government with your ability to save money like that!
:zipper:
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Yankovic-Gretzky
Die-hard Fan

Post by Yankovic-Gretzky »

Billboard 200: 9, 44, 58, 101, 123
Yankovic-Gretzky
Die-hard Fan

Billboard 200: 9, 44, 58, 101, 123, 142

http://www.billboard.com/#/charts/billb ... r=position" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ferdinand
Occasional

Post by ferdinand »

I don't know if this has already been posted here or somewhere else, but I kinda think it's ironic that T.I. and B.o.b. belong to the Atlantic Recording Group. Did they hire different suits? Did they just decide to go with Al's wishes after "You're Pitiful? Were they attacked by a box of starving crazed weasels Jay Levey sent them? Orders from the mafia? Did a masked man with no relation to "Weird Al" Yankovic persuade them to? What happened?
No one in the world ever gets what they want and the truth is we don't know anything.
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

It is a sub-label, so they probably have different management, but even if it still has to go the top of the label, I think it's more that TI has been a successful artist for a while (He was already a well known rapper before WYL, it was just that that song was bigger than anything he did that made him seem like a newer artist), and that even though B.o.B. is a newer artist, he's already had a few hits, so there's no risk of "Future one hit wonder" status.

I did notice that when we were speculating on what Another Tattoo was parodying. I wondered if that could be a potential stumbling block
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
Yankovic-Gretzky
Die-hard Fan

Has fallen off the chart!
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

the Dingo wrote:It is a sub-label, so they probably have different management, but even if it still has to go the top of the label, I think it's more that TI has been a successful artist for a while (He was already a well known rapper before WYL, it was just that that song was bigger than anything he did that made him seem like a newer artist), and that even though B.o.B. is a newer artist, he's already had a few hits, so there's no risk of "Future one hit wonder" status.
It might also be that they didn't think there'd be enough overlap in audiences for anything Al did to affect TI or B.o.B.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

I think the answer is Atlantic Records is a big company with different branches managing different clients. No one ever said it was the official policy of Atlantic Records to not allow parodies, just that "the record company" wouldn't allow it.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Didn't James Blunt's management say something like "'You're Pitiful' will never be approved for release" when Al tried to include it on Essential WAY? My guess is the suits at Atlantic weren't making that initial decision to pull the plug entirely on their own.