Polka Face!

Moderator: Moderators

weirdal27
Occasional

Re: Polka Face!

Post by weirdal27 »

I really liked it. Much better than I expected.
Better put your hands up and get in the van, or else you'll get blown away!

Concerts attended:

6/17/10 Sovereign PAC, Reading, PA
5/21/11 Bergen PAC, Englewood, NJ
10/13/11 Allentown Symphony Hall, Allentown, PA
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

ludovica64 wrote:The video isnt available outside USA. I was lucky to be able to see it via embedded copies FB but that loophole is now closed somehow and any attempt to play it sends me back to the CC site where the video is USA only
HA HA YOU LIVE IN ENGLAND!
Morbid Undead
Occasional

Post by Morbid Undead »

ludovica64 wrote:The video isnt available outside USA. I was lucky to be able to see it via embedded copies FB but that loophole is now closed somehow and any attempt to play it sends me back to the CC site where the video is USA only
I feel *special*. Know why? I live in Australia and I can still see the video :lol: MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I'm sorry, I'll stop gloating now. Especially since I've probably now jinxed myself by saying that.

I loved the video!! And I can't stop watching it!!! Ok, lemme break it down.

I was REALLY happy to see that even though it was mostly animation, Al's face still made an appearance :) The Womaniser bit was freaking HILARIOUS!! I loved the Right Round bit, mostly because I love animated Al. But it was also very funny. The Bieber one was funny. AWWW I love that little creature that's meant to be Pink. She's cute. I want one. But I have a feeling she bites ;) YES, YES, YES - I Kissed a Girl was my FAVOURITE part of the whole video!!! Hilarious and an excellent likeness of Katy Perry, Russell Brand and Al, and even though I saw the joke coming, I still laughed my head off (and squeeled a little bit) :lol: WHAT'S WITH THE CHICKEN AND THE PIG?? So random.

Anything I missed, I didn't really have anything to say about 'em. There were a few sections that made me go WTF? And I craved to see more of Al. But overall, I loved it!
~Morbid Undead~

Weird Al fanatic since 22nd June 2011
Creator of http://crashcourseinweirdal.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Life is like a bowl of three-legged salamanders, swimming around in an infinite ocean of cherry Kool-Aid."
sternoinferno
Occasional

Post by sternoinferno »

Yankomaniac wrote:He already did 2 live action vids for this album, if you consider Perform This Way live action, I kinda do. Lynwood and Poodle Hat are the only ones that only have one actual video, and Even Worse of course.
Craigslist and Bob, while they are live action, don't really involve much moving around, and since Perform This Way didn't involve Al's body (pretending that that matters), the last live action videos that actually contained lots of "action" were White and Nerdy, and before that probably Pentiums.
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

The Craigslist video is great, its just like any other classic rock video, not much to it, just the singer, and other random stuff...but its still a video. I think that video rules, and I actually pretend its the lead single off Alpocalypse, since it was the first video released, even though I know PTW is the one he chose once the album was finally released. But the video is fairly lame and way worse than the one for Craigslist.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Polka Face!

Post by minnick27 »

Morbid: the chicken and the pig are Bill Plymptons section. That should be enough of an answer for you
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

The video's pretty good, definitely better than I expected it to be. The highlights for me were definitely the Intro, the Justin Bieber segment, and "Break Your Heart." Overall, I thought the animation was pretty strong, and I think it was a great idea to have different animators work on individual segments of the song. It really made the video fun to watch.
spmahn
Die-hard Fan

Post by spmahn »

I dunno, this video is just kind of there for me. I've never been a big fan of the low budget flash videos ever since Al started having them produced with the last album. Call me a traditionalist, but I'd be happy with one or two big budget videos and let it be that. There's not much about a song like Polkaface or Craigslist that shouts "this has to have a video", not that they're bad songs, they're just not songs that demand visuals. I won't say I hated this video, but it didn't do much for me, just like the rest of the videos for the album.
Morbid Undead
Occasional

Post by Morbid Undead »

minnick27 wrote:Morbid: the chicken and the pig are Bill Plymptons section. That should be enough of an answer for you
I don't know who that is though :? I've never heard of him before. Excuse me while I consult Google :)
~Morbid Undead~

Weird Al fanatic since 22nd June 2011
Creator of http://crashcourseinweirdal.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Life is like a bowl of three-legged salamanders, swimming around in an infinite ocean of cherry Kool-Aid."
OneWAY
Obsessed

Post by OneWAY »

There are plenty of people that would rather have a visual aid of some kind than none... it's for them, really. YouTube is obviously a popular venue for recognition and whatnot, and music videos (no matter how cheap/bad/whatever) get noticed and watched there. You don't have to think that a song NEEDS a video in order for it to be okay to make one. People like looking at shiny things; that's the point.

I think this is more or less Al embracing one of the many orifices of pop culture and using it to his advantage. He isn't losing anything by shopping around for animation talents. If anything, this is opening up his fanbase, no matter what anyone really thinks of the videos. That's why Al said that it was a success and why he won't stop doing it for the future albums.

On that note, I actually really liked the video. It's so bizarre and awkward, but I was laughing all the way throughout it... and even though Plympton's piece seemed completely nonsensical, I still thought it was awesome, in great contrast to TMZ's video.
8/26/08, 7/15/10, 7/16/10, 7/17/10, 11/5/10, 9/22/11, 9/24/11, 9/25/11, 4/30/12, 10/19/13, 5/19/15, 8/19/15, 8/21/15, 7/16/16, 3/3/18, 3/22/18, 4/20/18, 4/27/18, 6/14/19, 6/15/19, 6/21/19, 9/1/19, 5/31/22, 6/1/22, 9/4/22, 9/30/22, 10/1/22, 10/7/22