If That Isn't Love

Moderator: Moderators

Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Re: If That Isn't Love

Post by Killingsworth »

How old do we think this narrator would be?
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

I'm going to say 27.
Iamabrawler
Die-hard Fan

Post by Iamabrawler »

Very plausible indeed. He does look in his twenties in the animated videoclip.
"So I went in my garaage, got in my care
And I drived, talking with my blue teeth
My boyfreind told me don't cree
Come to my houss, don't worraye,
we'll talk about this togeedurr."
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

I'm sorry to say that this has become my only "Skip" song on Alpocalypse. Which is a shame, because I really like quite a lot of it. But that dratted "big fat turd" line just irritates me, and it's an earworm. So rather than subject myself to it, I hit "skip" right after "listen now..." which leads very nicely into "hey girl, our economy's in the toilet..."
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

That line really is distracting. I always feel like I'm enjoying the song and the subject matter until that line comes up. After that, I can't stop thinking about why Al put that line in there and how much it detracts from the flow and humor of the song. I keep trying to talk myself into the explanation that the character is a huge jerk who would think that telling his girlfriend that she makes the sunset look a turd is romantic, but that line is still jarring.
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

I skip the track sometimes, but I also skip the last track on the album as well, for some reason it kind of puts me in a depressing mood, especially right off the bat.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

re: the big fat turd line -- IMO Al's wooing a new crop of 12 year old fans.

Actually, I think Alpocolypse takes a nose dive after Party in the CIA. It's a really strong album up to that point.
OopsieDaisy
Occasional

If That Isn't Love

Post by OopsieDaisy »

weird_el wrote: Actually, I think Alpocolypse takes a nose dive after Party in the CIA. It's a really strong album up to that point.

This.
ferdinand
Occasional

Post by ferdinand »

I think that the biggest problem with the "omelettes for breakfast" line is that it's only funny the first time. After one time, the line is expected, so it isn't funny anymore. I don't really think it takes a nowedive after Party in the CIA, but the quality of the songs really wavers after that.
No one in the world ever gets what they want and the truth is we don't know anything.
eleventhirtyfour
Occasional

Post by eleventhirtyfour »

I don't mind the big fat turd line (it reminds me of the hilarious and awkward discussion from his last appearance on Comedy Bang Bang). What I can't stand and makes me cringe is the warm your hands in my buttcrack thing. I guess because it's just way too ridiculous of an idea anyways AND it's right at the beginning. I definitely don't dig this song anyways just because I don't really think the melodies are all that fun to listen to. I guess what I'm trying to say is when a song is pretty much based on at least somewhat realistic situations, it's not really funny to throw a totally absurd one in there, ESPECIALLY right off the bat. Another example is The Lonely Island's "On A Boat" where (at least to me) it seems that part of the humor is that they're rapping and basically getting in your face about how they're on a boat and it's funny because it's not really THAT big of a deal but then it gets outlandish like doing it with mermaids and stuff. I don't know, comedy is subjective. Oops.