Alpocalypse Chart Watch & Speculation

Moderator: Moderators

Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Alpocalypse Chart Watch & Speculation

Post by Killingsworth »

I've been wondering lately about what would've happened if Al got to talk to Gaga directly or didn't have that miscommunication with her manager. We at least know he probably would've waited until after the tour and his scheduled vacation to even start writing, but would he have released the single this early if that were indeed the case? He was kind of forced into releasing it on YouTube, so he might not have released it until maybe two weeks before the album. I asked Jim about this on facebook and this was his response.
Jim Kimo West wrote:My guess is that he would have waited a while to put it out...
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
Wizzerkat
Off The Deep End

Re: Perform This Way

Post by Wizzerkat »

If I were Al I would have waited until the CD was released or right before anyway..
Is my dude a dweeb?
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Yeah, I would think he would have waited too. He released the song, had this controversary, and then had to wait almost 2 months to get the video out.
JCM
Off The Deep End
Awards: Most Annoying User

Post by JCM »

He definitely hurt the potential sales of the album by releasing the single early. Let's just hope Al cashes in enough to feed his family.
How old was that last signature? I mean, really?
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

All the money from this song is going to charity. Also, Al is rich.

He also didn't hurt album sales. If anything, he boosted them. Releasing lead singles early to is common practice to hype up a new album. The music industry is currently in a singles market. Just look at Lady Gaga. She released Born This Way months before her album came out last week.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Yes, but Al relies on humor for his sales. Two months after his song comes out, its not as funny as it was
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

He also relies on amazing hilarious visuals. Let's see what happens when the music video comes out.
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

I don't think he really hurt any potential sales in the long run.

He's got a big rabid, loyal audience who'll buy the album regardless of when a single comes out. And some people I know will buy multiple copies of the cd to begin with.

The only loss of potential sales are of people who aren't necessarily 'big' fans or haven't bought other things he's done, new fans. And most of them will just as likely only purchase songs off iTunes or just download it illegally anyway. I'm not saying Al's super rich, as any sales go a long way for him, but ultimately he'll sell decent copies and make most of his money on tour and with merchandise.
Grom
Off The Deep End

Post by Grom »

Agreed, the video is always where it counts for Al.
Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

That being said, yeah, the video has the potential to go be huge on YouTube.

Will it count for album sales though? I know plenty of people that think Al's funny but won't buy anything he's done. :(