Bathroom Humor

Moderator: Moderators

Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Re: Bathroom Humor

Post by Kevbo1987 »

Yeah, I do understand what Al was going for now with that line. I have to admit, it actually does go well with the theme of the song. The main character is just completely clueless about what constitutes love and how he should show it, and to him, telling his wife or girlfriend that she makes a glorious sunset look like a big fat turd is the highest compliment. I too was a lot more bothered when I first heard it. I still stand by what I said about bathroom humor in general though.
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

I also agree with Kevbo's point and I never really thought about the "turd" line in that context before...so, thanks, Jon! I have to admit that line was pretty jarring when I first heard it to, but it's growing on me for the same reason.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
PlayAWarGame
Occasional

Post by PlayAWarGame »

See, you guys are all just a bunch of pathetic girlies who will latch onto any chance to be offended or claim Al's gone lowbrow before you even think about whether or not it makes sense in the context of the song.
It doesn't matter if I do things for a reason, or on a W-H-I-M... Just stand back and enjoy the show, cuz baby, I perform this way!
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

PlayAWarGame, is it possible for someone to understand the context of the joke within the song, but still not want to think about turds while listening to music?
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Bathroom Humor

Post by Kevbo1987 »

PlayAWarGame wrote:See, you guys are all just a bunch of pathetic girlies who will latch onto any chance to be offended or claim Al's gone lowbrow before you even think about whether or not it makes sense in the context of the song.
Jon is exactly right. I understand the point, but I'm just generally not a fan of that kind of humor.
Oh by the way, I've cracked the code.
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

Yeah, I don't find it hilarious but I do see how it's relevant to the song.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

TMBJon wrote:PlayAWarGame, is it possible for someone to understand the context of the joke within the song, but still not want to think about turds while listening to music?
You're a fan of a TV show whose latest episode featured visuals of turds in nearly every scene.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

When I watch South Park, I am expecting smurf jokes. When I listen to music, it's a different story. I'm not saying I'm grossed out by it, just that it's an immature line that won't play well in mixed company. If I was watching South Park at a party I wouldn't care because most people like South Park and expect smurf jokes when watching it. But if I have friends in my car and "If That Isn't Love" comes on, they are likely to reinforce their own stereotype that listening to Weird Al is immature.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
DiegoMcArthur

Post by DiegoMcArthur »

C'mon, lighten up, this is Weird Al we're talking about, the man who turns hit songs into ballads about food, sings about murder and is just completely weird, I think it was fun that he put this potty humor on the album, other than these jokes, this album really isn't that "Weird" per-say, as his other albums are very odd, the only songs that are twisted or weird on this track are CNR, Craigslist (at times), and If That Isn't Love, he barely has any twisted murder songs or anything like that on this LP, I guess he replaced that with a handfull of Poo and Pee jokes, but it is what it is.
Abbeybunny
Die-hard Fan

Post by Abbeybunny »

DiegoMcArthur wrote:C'mon, lighten up, this is Weird Al we're talking about, the man who turns hit songs into ballads about food, sings about murder and is just completely weird, I think it was fun that he put this potty humor on the album, other than these jokes, this album really isn't that "Weird" per-say, as his other albums are very odd, the only songs that are twisted or weird on this track are CNR, Craigslist (at times), and If That Isn't Love, he barely has any twisted murder songs or anything like that on this LP, I guess he replaced that with a handfull of Poo and Pee jokes, but it is what it is.
I second that -_-
Just your ordinary run-of-the-mill fangirl

6/21/15: First Weird Al concert!