Bathroom Humor

Moderator: Moderators

giantlobsterrobot
Regular

Re: Bathroom Humor

Post by giantlobsterrobot »

Gotta Boogie WAS my least favorite Al track until Craigslist came out, which was a dead perfect rendition of a band I can't stand. :P He nailed it... :)
I bet he surprises the world and album 14's lead single will be about farts. NO! Someone will cover the Knack, and Al will finally get to release a modern version of "Baby Likes Burping!" :P Toilet humor lead track! :D
AHHHHH! Neon Noodle!!!
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

It's not all about the subject matter. It's about the context and the style of the joke being told. Louis CK gave a pretty good rundown of how/why toilet humor works on The Daily Show last night. Most of the instances of bathroom humor on this and previous albums were successfully funny given the way the joke is delivered. But the "turd" line in particular just strikes me as being a little off because there was relatively no reason to go down that road when any number of other jokes would have fit in that spot.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

I don't hate toilet humor all the time. But when it's the only joke, then yes.

Farts are funny. Louis C K had a very compelling argument :lol:
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

TMBJon wrote:But the "turd" line in particular just strikes me as being a little off because there was relatively no reason to go down that road when any number of other jokes would have fit in that spot.
Yeah, I think that was my gripe with it. It was more for shock effect and not entirely necessary. Still, I love the song and was singing along with it today on my way to work (even the "turd" line), so I'm over it. :D
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

I still have a soft spot for "Gotta Boogie." If I was a little older when I first heard it I probably wouldn't appreciate it as much, but every time I listen it takes me back to that fateful spring day in 1996 when 7-year-old me was sitting in the car with my dad as he introduced me to Weird Al (and music in general) via the debut album. Being that it was only the second Al song I'd ever heard, I never saw the 'boogie' twist coming. It was a great moment.

ETA: I'm kind of surprised that the "turd" line is the main source of debate re: "If That Isn't Love." To me, the "buttcrack" line is a lot more cringe-inducing.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

I agree that the butt crack line is the one that is jarring for me. Not because I'm bothered by "toilet humor". But seeing as it was the first joke in the song, it was kind of extreme. I would have preferred more subtle jokes at the beginning, and then build to the more extreme ones.
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

Well, if anything, the buttcrack line sets the tone for the rest of the song.
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

anthontherun wrote:I still have a soft spot for "Gotta Boogie." If I was a little older when I first heard it I probably wouldn't appreciate it as much, but every time I listen it takes me back to that fateful spring day in 1996 when 7-year-old me was sitting in the car with my dad as he introduced me to Weird Al (and music in general) via the debut album. Being that it was only the second Al song I'd ever heard, I never saw the 'boogie' twist coming. It was a great moment.

E

I can't pinpoint the first time I heard Gotta Boogie, but it was after I was 20. I know because I have a catalog newsletter from CPFOA I got with my copy of WAY Live (On VHS. Oh yeah!) in which I underlined every Al song I had yet to hear at that point.

So the point is, yes, age probably makes a difference. Being 20+, I saw the joke coming a mile away and the song has always been immature and stupid to me.
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

anthontherun wrote:ETA: I'm kind of surprised that the "turd" line is the main source of debate re: "If That Isn't Love." To me, the "buttcrack" line is a lot more cringe-inducing.
It doesn't make me cringe. There's a whole tradition of humorous anecdotes about couples warming up their cold feet or hands on the other person's body, usually it's cold feet on the back. Al just took it a little further.
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

I dunno, I guess I just prefer the charm of Kevbo's friend telling a girl "It's really warm between your legs." :P