Rubén Gets No Respect

All about Steve Jay, Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Rubén Valtierra, and Jim West.

Moderator: Moderators

doggans
Die-hard Fan

Post by doggans »

Mad Genius @ Jan 11 2004, 02:35 PM wrote: Ruben's like the Gus Grizwald (If you've watched Disney's Recess) of the band if he's still treated like the new guy after so many years.
Good show, okay movie. Hopefully the Teacher's Pet movie will be better.

Back on topic...I always thought Ruben seemed like a really good sport about everything. It's great that he can maintain a sense of humor about all the "ridicule". (Unlike some people Al tried to parody...)
"Wow, another triple negative!"
Manda
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Manda »

I have always thought Ruben was a good sport I mean any guy who goes out on stage with a cone bra has to be a good sport. :)
Al team # 2836
kidcid
Obsessed

Post by kidcid »

I would love to hear the story of why he was detained!! I think (hope) Ruben is used to all the jokes. On the Bands dressing room door for the PH tour there is a cartoon on it (I don't know who drew it) and it has TBITB on it in characture. On Ruben's back is a sign that say's kick me. I somehow was given one of these little cartoons and had all the guys sign it. Ruben looked at it an pretended to cry "Why are you guys always making fun of me" (I think this was in SLO Town) so the people around me started yelling "we Love You Ruben", so then he was OK. I guess he never saw the cartoon on the dressing room door before then. I think Ruben has a wonderful sense of humor!
:P
%
ThewEiRdOne27
Obsessed

Post by ThewEiRdOne27 »

kidcid @ Jan 12 2004, 05:43 PM wrote: I would love to hear the story of why he was detained!! I think (hope) Ruben is used to all the jokes. On the Bands dressing room door for the PH tour there is a cartoon on it (I don't know who drew it) and it has TBITB on it in characture. On Ruben's back is a sign that say's kick me. I somehow was given one of these little cartoons and had all the guys sign it. Ruben looked at it an pretended to cry "Why are you guys always making fun of me" (I think this was in SLO Town) so the people around me started yelling "we Love You Ruben", so then he was OK. I guess he never saw the cartoon on the dressing room door before then. I think Ruben has a wonderful sense of humor!
Ruben may be one of the funniest guys around (and he's darn talented, too). I remember at Westbury when we all sang Harvey The Wonder Hamster near the band's bus after the show. He came out, looked at us, and yelled, "Hey you kids, keep it down!"

I'm pretty sure he was joking... or was he? :unsure:
"Man does not live by words alone, despite the fact that sometimes he has to eat them."-Adlai Stevenson
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

Manda @ Jan 12 2004, 05:18 PM wrote: I have always thought Ruben was a good sport I mean any guy who goes out on stage with a cone bra has to be a good sport. :)
Or Mariyln Manson *rimshot*

Ah, I hope Ruben's a good sport about it.....
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
ThewEiRdOne27
Obsessed

Post by ThewEiRdOne27 »

spacedingo @ Jan 12 2004, 06:02 PM wrote: Ah, I hope Ruben's a good sport about it.....
Me too. I think he is (or he would've been gone a long time ago), but he may get tired of being the butt of every joke. However, I'm not passing judgement because only Ruben knows for sure how he feels.
"Man does not live by words alone, despite the fact that sometimes he has to eat them."-Adlai Stevenson
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

kidcid @ Jan 12 2004, 02:43 PM wrote: so the people around me started yelling "we Love You Ruben"
I remember that! Except I don't remember the cartoon. If I saw it, I was too far deep in AIH to remember.
Squirrelygirl
Obsessed

Post by Squirrelygirl »

That cartoon drawing with put on the outside of the dressing room for the band at
Konocti (and probably all the other venues) to indicated their dressing room.

As we were leaving Konocti, we drove past the (now vacated) backstage area, and my dear, sweet hubby (not being the shy, retiring type I am), just bold as day went up to the dressing room, asked the guy inside if he needed the "Poodle Band" outside the door, and then snagged it. :lookround:

(The guy occupying the room was Kenny Chesney)

Too bad, if I was at home, I could scan it, and credit the artist's name. Very cute pic, indeed.

sg
AL! You ATE Harvey!? YOU ATE HARVEY/??!!
kidcid
Obsessed

Post by kidcid »

Squirrelygirl @ Jan 12 2004, 11:25 PM wrote: That cartoon drawing with put on the outside of the dressing room for the band at
Konocti (and probably all the other venues) to indicated their dressing room.

The one I got was at the very first show in San Diego, and strangely enough it was a Pizza delivery girl who gave it to me. I forgot your hubby did that for you. Of Course you know all about my sticky fingers :unsure: shsss it's a secret.
Cid
%
Grom
Off The Deep End

Post by Grom »

ThewEiRdOne27 @ Jan 13 2004, 09:52 AM wrote: Ruben may be one of the funniest guys around (and he's darn talented, too). I remember at Westbury when we all sang Harvey The Wonder Hamster near the band's bus after the show. He came out, looked at us, and yelled, "Hey you kids, keep it down!"
At Canberra, Rubén and Jon came out to sign autographs, and a few people said "We came all the way from Griffith to see you!" To which Rubén replied "Great! ...Where's Griffith?" Most humorous indeed.
Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash