Official Jim West Discussion Thread

All about Steve Jay, Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Rubén Valtierra, and Jim West.

Moderator: Moderators

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Obviously the band members are all extremely talented in their ability to mimic twelve genres on each album for an entire career (and not even including the music they make outside of Weird Al's oeuvre).

My question is what would you consider Jim West's most impressive work within the context of "Weird Al" songs?

For me the answer is his guitar solo on "Eat It." To think that he is able to mimic the guitar playing of Eddie Van Halen, who is possibly the greatest guitar player of all time (at least one of the top three or four), and not only sound like him but be nearly impossible to tell apart, that is great work. That being said, Jim has always impressed me and I don't mean to say he plateaued in 1984. I think the "I Am The Slime" riff at the beginning of "Genius In France" is nearly as impressive.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Mystik Tomato
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: All of them.

Post by Mystik Tomato »

TMBJon @ February 01, 2009 02:06 pm wrote: For me the answer is his guitar solo on "Eat It." To think that he is able to mimic the guitar playing of Eddie Van Halen, who is possibly the greatest guitar player of all time (at least one of the top three or four), and not only sound like him but be nearly impossible to tell apart, that is great work.
Hate to burst your bubble there, Jon, but...
Permanent Record: Al In The Box wrote: "Eat It," based on Michael Jackson's "Beat It" (from Thriller, the biggest selling album of all time) was the last track to be recorded for the album. Before that could happen, Al faced the daunting task of getting Jackson's permission. "We took a chance," Al remembers. "We actually didn't think he'd let us do it, but our philosophy is, it never hurts to ask. So Jay called up Michael's people, and told them what we wanted. We heard back not too long after that Michael thought it was a funny idea, and we could go right ahead." Rick Derringer himself plays the spectacular guitar solo on the record. Jay directed the video; he would direct most of Al's videos for the next eight years.
Also,
I think the "I Am The Slime" riff at the beginning of "Genius In France" is nearly as impressive.
At the very beginning? Well...
WeirdAl.com Archives wrote: Dweezil Zappa - guitar
Opening solo on "Genius In France" on POODLE HAT.
Sever your leg, please. It's the greatest day.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Oh yeah, I forgot. Oops.

Jim West SUCKS!!! :x:
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
ludovica64
Off The Deep End

Post by ludovica64 »

TMBJon @ February 01, 2009 03:06 am wrote: Obviously the band members are all extremely talented in their ability to mimic twelve genres on each album for an entire career (and not even including the music they make outside of Weird Al's oeuvre).

My question is what would you consider Jim West's most impressive work within the context of "Weird Al" songs?

For me the answer is his guitar solo on "Eat It." To think that he is able to mimic the guitar playing of Eddie Van Halen, who is possibly the greatest guitar player of all time (at least one of the top three or four), and not only sound like him but be nearly impossible to tell apart, that is great work. That being said, Jim has always impressed me and I don't mean to say he plateaued in 1984. I think the "I Am The Slime" riff at the beginning of "Genius In France" is nearly as impressive.
Well... I personally love the little bits of Led Zeppelin Jim has played in concerts over the years, "Black Dog" of course in TitDT but there are others "Whole Lotta Lunch" etc
I just think Jim is an incredible guitarist, and all the more awesome because he DOESN'T have the puffed up ego to match his talent. Jim does what he does without bragging about it or thinking he is really important. That makes him better than a thousand puffed up prima donna axemen to me.. plus of course he's my buddy! :)
<º))))><.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´"Not too stupid..... Just stupid enough!"¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
Jul 20th,23rd 2008
AlFest 1/8/2009
Al's Brain x20
Aug 13th,14th,21st,22nd, Dec 3rd,6th 2010
Aug 12th,14th,26th 2012
Oct 4th 2015
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

It's gotta be his "Mary Had A Little Lamb" guitar solo :inlove:

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
ludovica64
Off The Deep End

Post by ludovica64 »

Elvis @ February 01, 2009 05:17 pm wrote: It's gotta be his "Mary Had A Little Lamb" guitar solo :inlove:

Dave
Rofl!!! :lol:
<º))))><.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´"Not too stupid..... Just stupid enough!"¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
Jul 20th,23rd 2008
AlFest 1/8/2009
Al's Brain x20
Aug 13th,14th,21st,22nd, Dec 3rd,6th 2010
Aug 12th,14th,26th 2012
Oct 4th 2015
Lauren
Obsessed
Location: on earth in my house in my room on my computer on WOWAY

Post by Lauren »

Elvis @ February 01, 2009 09:17 am wrote: It's gotta be his "Mary Had A Little Lamb" guitar solo :inlove:

Dave
:lol: yeah :lol:
big day!!!!!!!!! :D :)

im on twitter i am cricket27l (the l is a Lower case L, just so you guys know.)
BabyBoolie27
Obsessed

Post by BabyBoolie27 »

Elvis @ February 01, 2009 12:17 pm wrote: It's gotta be his "Mary Had A Little Lamb" guitar solo :inlove:

Dave
:lol: That one gets me everytime! And agreed Louise! He is awesome but he doesn't let it go to his head. Kinda like Al...but with a guitar...hehe!
I like all animals...well except for monkeys, because they climb all over your face and slap you!
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

Well, Al uses a guitar sometimes too, but Jim can PLAY his. Al just waves it around. :P
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.
NH Weird Al Fan
Addicted

Post by NH Weird Al Fan »

Jim posted this comment on his Facebook page tonight (it's a reply to someone else's post):

I gotta rehearse with Al on Friday and record demos.

:yay:
8/11/07 Beverly
7/15/08 & 6/26/10 Gilford
8/22/10 Ventura
10/15/11 Boston
5/10/12 Lowell
10/19/12 Beverly
6/7/13 Lebanon
6/8/13 Keene
10/5/13 Hampton
6/4/15 Concord
6/6/15 Foxwoods