We've Never Played in Hawaii

All about Steve Jay, Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Rubén Valtierra, and Jim West.

Moderator: Moderators

albinodwarf27
Addicted

Post by albinodwarf27 »

like_im_27again @ February 17, 2009 01:33 pm wrote:
Here's hoping you'll get to play there next tour!

Vikki
If they play there, we will come.... lol

I enjoy this song more every time I listen to it. What a talented group of guys. :)
We don't fight, we all play nice
living in an Amish paradise
ludovica64
Off The Deep End

Post by ludovica64 »

albinodwarf27 @ February 18, 2009 11:54 am wrote: If they play there, we will come.... lol

I enjoy this song more every time I listen to it. What a talented group of guys. :)
LOL you're looking for any excuse to go to Hawaii! :lol: .. That would be amazing though. I fancy that myself.. LOL no way!
<º))))><.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´"Not too stupid..... Just stupid enough!"¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
Jul 20th,23rd 2008
AlFest 1/8/2009
Al's Brain x20
Aug 13th,14th,21st,22nd, Dec 3rd,6th 2010
Aug 12th,14th,26th 2012
Oct 4th 2015
Alinite27
Off The Deep End

Post by Alinite27 »

I played their song last night for my mother, who's also a huge fan of Al, Al's Band...and the reason I can tourchase like I do. She actually enjoyed their last song, too, but listening to the new Hawaii one, she said, "we have to go there, if they play there, that would be somewhere nice to go".
ludovica64
Off The Deep End

Post by ludovica64 »

Alinite27 @ February 18, 2009 02:13 pm wrote: I played their song last night for my mother, who's also a huge fan of Al, Al's Band...and the reason I can tourchase like I do. She actually enjoyed their last song, too, but listening to the new Hawaii one, she said, "we have to go there, if they play there, that would be somewhere nice to go".
Yay for Mom! She rocks! :great:
<º))))><.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´"Not too stupid..... Just stupid enough!"¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
Jul 20th,23rd 2008
AlFest 1/8/2009
Al's Brain x20
Aug 12th,14th,26th 2012
Oct 4th 2015
Lauren
Obsessed
Location: on earth in my house in my room on my computer on WOWAY

Post by Lauren »

i just heard the sample,and i love how the guitar complimented Steve's soft toned voice. and i got to say that it is way better then the first song.
big day!!!!!!!!! :D :)

im on twitter i am cricket27l (the l is a Lower case L, just so you guys know.)
QuantumError
Requiescat In Pace

Post by QuantumError »

Just got the song the other day, and I am really impressed. I hadn't heard the first one (fully I mean), until getting this either. It sounds much better than the first in my opinion...

But it really gets me thinking...
Gawwwwwd, I want them to come here!!!!! GRRR! :(

(I live in Hawaii...)
BabyBoolie27
Obsessed

Post by BabyBoolie27 »

WOW! The new song is great! Good job guys! Loved the slack key it was just so peaceful! The whole thing just worked brilliantly together and was an improvement over the last song! Can't wait to see what they come up with next! :whoot:
I like all animals...well except for monkeys, because they climb all over your face and slap you!
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

I know I am coming in a little late to this, but I just downloaded the new song and wanted to share my thoughts.

First of all, the topic. It's quite a shame that they've never been able to play in Hawaii, and I wonder if this song was meant as a kind of hint hint nudge nudge to Al and the powers that be to get them booked there on the next tour. I would not be surprised if they do get to play a few shows in Hawaii as a result of this.

Regarding the music, I think this was an excellent showcase for Jim's incredible slack guitar playing, and it really is a "lovely little ditty," whatever that means. Steve sings very nicely and compliments the guitar perfectly. Overall, I think it is a nice pleasant little song to listen to, and I think they really found a groove of what Al's Band should be.

I also appreciate the concept of matching Jim's talents with a song that discusses the same topic. I believe the songwriters (Jon and Steve, apparently) were wise to leave out the humor. There was certainly some - I enjoyed all of the H cities the band has played, for instance - but it was subtle, and they realize they need to leave the real funny to the boss.

I can definitely see this band having some staying power. I do not think they are trying to reach beyond the "Weird Al" fanbase, which is wise, and I hope some day we get to see a short set of these songs being performed though it's hard to imagine the proper venue for it (AlFest, anyone???). I look forward to seeing what they come up with next. I would actually like to see them try some straightforward rock, a genre they have clearly mastered over the years. I will leave the subject matter to them, though. They clearly know more about being in Al's Band than I do...

Well done, dudes. 8)
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
ludovica64
Off The Deep End

Post by ludovica64 »

Oh man if we could get them to have a jam at Al-Fest that would be so great!
Thanks for your measured comments Jon.

I love the new song too, I suppose one could say it's more listenable than the first one in some ways, but to me that first song is..
well just so great.. the weird unexpectedness of it, in artistic terms it was the Shock Of The New .. it makes me laugh so much.. and not in a bad way. Song 2 is gorgeous to listen to and fun to sing along with, but Song one.. for all everyone hates it so much has joie de vivre and a sense of inyerface pure fun and messing about.. which to me makes it so appealing and refreshing.

I hope they dont stop making challenging music. I hope they write loads of really angular madness like Song one.. cos its just ... well its them isnt it... their own thing and I love them for it. I dont want to see them covering bland AOR rock standards at all. I love that they put out interesting and different and unexpected stuff that pisses people off. Thats creativity...
Jul 20th,23rd 2008
AlFest 1/8/2009
Al's Brain x20
Aug 12th,14th,26th 2012
Oct 4th 2015
QuantumError
Requiescat In Pace

Post by QuantumError »

TMBJon @ February 23, 2009 02:37 am wrote: First of all, the topic. It's quite a shame that they've never been able to play in Hawaii, and I wonder if this song was meant as a kind of hint hint nudge nudge to Al and the powers that be to get them booked there on the next tour. I would not be surprised if they do get to play a few shows in Hawaii as a result of this.
Oh God, that's what I was thinking too...Well, Al, and even Jim have places out here, so its not like it'd be too out of the question to do it now. I think I've mentioned this a few other times before, but part of the biggest challenges out here would be to find the right venues, and to get enough excitement about it (plenty of people out here like Al though, I'm sure!)

Also, it would probably be difficult and expensive to get the complete set of equipment for the shows out here. Maybe they could do a bit more of a 'simple' version of the concert. Sure would be wonderful to see them out here.