Regular

Post by Super Sonic 5 »

Em?
I'll be Mellow When I'm Dead!

Tonight, I'm going to blow your minds! I mean, literally blow your minds! - Al
KnottyEmily
Obsessed

Post by KnottyEmily »

that's right, Prince, for denying permission for a parody, and Eminem, for leaving Poodle Hat without a video :angry:
The tsunami of immediacy will wash away the flood of grief, and reveal a layer of naive optimism underneath
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

The thing that really makes me wonder is that it was going to be the single (Which as I stated in another topic, is probably the reason Al was priced out of the song, if that were the case). How much does it say that Al was banking on a new artist (as popular as Blunt is)? Is there anything we can read into that?

While the music industry is weak, it's not like OTDE-era (Where Al banked on a relativly new artist to the public eye), but more like BHD-era (Where Al banked on a somewhat new artist..even though Coolio had a previous hit, Gangsta's Paradise blew Fantastic Voyage away by miles), while the rest of the album had other big artists (Hell, you had a parody of one of the biggest bands in the history of rock, and it wasn't even close to a single)...the industry may be weak, but plenty of artists have had huge hits.

But it makes me wonder, and worried for that matter, maybe too many popular artists these days have big egos (Eminem), or don't even know who Al is (Avril). I really hope I'm reading too much into that. How many Nellys (Or going back to RWS, Offspring and BNL) are left?

Of course, whatever Al comes up with, it'll be great. And judging by You're Pitiful, it's going to be some majorly strong work :D
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

Seriously though, I have to doubt Blunt is to blame. I think Blunt must have been cool with Al doing the parody, otherwise I don't think Al would have released it (album or not). It was probably the suits at Blunt's label. The e-mail notification about the song from Al's website did cite "legal reasons", not lack of artist permission. And of course, Al himself mentioned "record company politics" in the last Ask Al. I have a feeling we can take Blunt off the hook. I think I read somewhere that even Blunt himself thought his song had been overplayed to death.

Meadows
Your Horoscope For Today: Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola virus.
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

spacedingo @ Jun 11 2006, 09:56 PM wrote: more like BHD-era (Where Al banked on a somewhat new artist..even though Coolio had a previous hit, Gangsta's Paradise blew Fantastic Voyage away by miles), while the rest of the album had other big artists (Hell, you had a parody of one of the biggest bands in the history of rock, and it wasn't even close to a single)...the industry may be weak, but plenty of artists have had huge hits.
Yeah, U2 and Green Day come to mind. "Vertigo" and pretty much anything off of American Idot is ripe for parody. . .and those songs were big enough--in my opinion--to warrant being a lead parody for Al, even if they are getting a tad moldy by now.

If Al is looking for new blood, where's he gonna look? K-Fed?!? High School Musical?!? Then again, as previously stated I'm completely unhip when it comes to new music. Who is out there now that Al could take on at the eleventh hour?

Meadows
Your Horoscope For Today: Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola virus.
Whatinthe27
Occasional

Post by Whatinthe27 »

As for current new artists big enough to parody, there's Green Day, Kanye West (Gold Digger), NickelBack, Black Eyed Peas (Hump), and Gwen Stefani (Holla Back Girl). I name these because I'm on the demographic cusp at 36yo. Old enough to remember when Ricky was on the radio, yet young enough to know who the artists are and have heard their songs several times. They're all worthy of lead parody. I'm actually surprised Al picked You're Beautiful to be the lead-off because it's more Adult Contemperary, and he's had bigger success with pop hits big with younger kids lately, like Emimen and Coolio. But as for overplayed songs, right now i'd say Had a Bad Day by Daniel Powter is the latest song that sticks in your head.
Dr eBay
Die-hard Fan

Post by Dr eBay »

Dear Close, Personal Friend Of Al,

We're very sorry that the new "Weird Al" Yankovic album is taking a little longer than expected to make its way to a record store near you.  We'll let you know as soon as we have a confirmed release date.

In the meantime, we thought you might like to download a free mp3 of a brand new Weird Al song (which won't be on the album).  Our gift to you, just for being so darn cool.

You can download the mp3 at www.weirdal.com.  Hope you enjoy it!

According to this e-mail I got from a club that doesn't really exist anymore, it won't be on the album.
http://www.MonstersAndMustaches.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Yes, we've already established that.

I hope we don't have to wait too much longer.
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Insert Coin(s) to Continue
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Insert Coin(s) to Continue »

weirdalfan95 @ Jun 11 2006, 10:09 PM wrote: Oh, right... Al finished the originals... All he needs is a new parody and polka medley (Unless he chose the songs already...)
What makes you think he hasn't done his polka medley yet?
Cane and Rinse: weekly thoughtful video game discussion. Give it a listen, won't you?
http://caneandrinse.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Insert Coin(s) to Continue
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Insert Coin(s) to Continue »

Whatinthe27 @ Jun 11 2006, 11:36 PM wrote: As for current new artists big enough to parody, there's Green Day, Kanye West (Gold Digger), NickelBack, Black Eyed Peas (Hump), and Gwen Stefani (Holla Back Girl).
Oh God...that album would suck to no end :rolleyes:
Cane and Rinse: weekly thoughtful video game discussion. Give it a listen, won't you?
http://caneandrinse.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;