Re: Best Parody Target

Post by mrmeadows »

Favorites, most to least:

1) American Idiot
2) Trapped In the Closet
3) Confessions, Part III
4) Ridin'
5) Do I Make You Proud

The latter may be the weakest Al target since Ruthless People.
Muldernscully
Addicted

Post by Muldernscully »

Thanks, but no thanks, James Blunt. Too bad you aren't including 'You're Beautiful' as one of the choices, or I would go with that. Once again, Al's ridiculous hip hop/rap obsession goes overboard with this album with 3 of the 5 parodies. So, those 3 are struck out easily. I like Green Day but not this song of theirs. And so, by default, I'm going with Taylor Hicks' song.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

I count one hip hop/rap parody on this album. Which are the other two exactly? Or do you just mean "by a black person"?
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

I think if you broadened that category to include R&B, then you'd be correct. But neither "Confessions Part II" nor "Trapped in the Closet" qualify as hip hop songs.
Muldernscully
Addicted

Post by Muldernscully »

TMBJon wrote:I count one hip hop/rap parody on this album. Which are the other two exactly? Or do you just mean "by a black person"?
R. Kelly and Usher's songs I put in that category. Although, Confessions is more R&B. I don't care for the misogyny and foul language associated with today's hip hop/rap. I don't appreciate your racist implication. I group Eminem & Robin Thicke in with this category and they are very white and exclude Michael Jackson for the lack of misogyny and foul language.
Last edited by Muldernscully on Thu May 28, 2015 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Muldernscully
Addicted

Post by Muldernscully »

Kevbo1987 wrote:I think if you broadened that category to include R&B, then you'd be correct. But neither "Confessions Part II" nor "Trapped in the Closet" qualify as hip hop songs.
Fine. hip hop/rap/r&b. I'm not so awesome with classifying music genres. Thanks. :D
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

This is voting for best original song right? I'd never pick any of these over Green Day, especially You're Beautiful, what a sappy snarly voice, can't stand that guy. Glad most people would say Green Day over these other artists though I agree American Idiot is far from the best song, especially on that work of art!
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Muldernscully wrote:R. Kelly and Usher's songs I put in that category.
This seems extremely arbitrary. R&B is a completely unrelated genre. The only thing that these songs have in common with hip hop is the color of the skin of the performers. Nothing else.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Muldernscully
Addicted

Post by Muldernscully »

Okay. I don't agree that R&B is a completely unrelated genre, so we'll just have to agree to disagree. My main point is that those artists have misogyny and foul language in their lyrics, which I don't care for.
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

So your certainly not a fan of say, Tenacious D?
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!