Is the Enhanced CD not working for anyone else?

Moderator: Moderators

scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

I finally figured out a way to make it download. Enjoying the extra features now....
Phillipemoz
Occasional

Post by Phillipemoz »

oh man, I have to install quicktime? I had to do that to watch the Matrix Reloaded trailer, and then quicktime took over my system so I couldn't use Real Player anymore, and then quicktime wasn't able to play the stuff on my computer that Real Player used to, so I deleted it. All was well, until I find out I have to download quicktime again for this.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

oh man, I have to install quicktime?

Yes. Yes, you do. It's worth it. I promise.

But now I have another problem. I can't listen to it on my computer. I understand that they would try to protect it from being copied, and hey for Al I'd be happy to listen to the actual CD. But nothing I have on my system wants to recognize it as an audio CD and won't play it. Not only that but it locks up my computer. I've had to reboot three times.

Way to go Volcano.

I can't play my purchased CD, and hey... I bought TWO!! But the stupid hacker types can get the MP3s out there before the actual release date.

Way to go Volcano. Way. To. Go. :thumbsup: :angry: Stupid Zomba.

Does Al know about this?
ExitWound

Post by ExitWound »

If it infact is a copy-protected CD, then you're probably one of the few who may experience the inability to use the disc. According to the record labels, this isn't a bad thing since it affects so few people. :huh: But there's a way to check it: Put the disc into different types of players, be they car cd players, discmen, pc's, mac's, dvdrom's, cd burners, standalone units, and whatever other form of player you can find. If it plays on some of them, but not others, guess what? The only thing you can do is take it back, and demand a refund, cuz there's nothing you can do about it. Such a shame too, and there's nothing the artists can do to stop the labels from producing copy-protected discs of their work.

Perhaps, though, that it's a faulty cdrom drive, or just dirty.

Play disc in other players. Work Fine? It's the disc.

Play other discs in cdrom. work Fine? It's not the cdrom.

Edit: Oh, and I highly doubt you'll find something on ANY cd that states "this disc is copyprotected and may not work properly on all players", which is one of the beefs consumers are having with the record industry at this point. It's a guessing game when it comes to buying discs if they'll work or not.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Play disc in other players. Work Fine? It's the disc.

Yup, that's me. I can play it on a cd player. In fact that's what I'm doing now. But it means I won't be able to add it to the mix of other WAY stuff that I usually play. So I'll just have to decide to listen to Poodle Hat and nothing else. What a pain.

Makes me want to go out and download the MP3 files... I won't. But I am tempted. Why? I don't want to support in any way anyone who would steal from Our Boy.

If it were anyone but Al, I would do just what you suggested and never ever buy another one of their CDs.

Stupid, stupid Zomba. Or perhaps more accurately: Stupid, stupid people who steal the music that makes all this security necessary. It's always the few morons who ruin it for the rest of us.
stupidsurgeon27
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by stupidsurgeon27 »

Well, you can listen to the songs if you go to the lyrics and click on a song. Just that you have to re-do a song everytime it ends, but hey, it's all right. :)

-CindyBob
ExitWound

Post by ExitWound »

CD player -----> line in on computer -----> record -----> compress to mp3/wma/ogg. You have yourself a playlist. Sometimes, in the most restrictive copy protections, this won't work. But it should work just fine. If you have the disc, you are not breaking any laws by doing this to my knowledge.

You have the right to make backup copies of the material you purchase, in any format: mp3, cd burns, tape burns, 8track recordings, or even sprinkling rust over scotch tape. THAT IS NOT ILLEGAL. Don't get it in your head that downlaoding mp3's is illegal. If you own the product, and would like backup copies, download them to your heart's content as you have that right. Go ahead and download them since you can't burn them yourself. You are not stealing in any way since you bought the product in question.

It's UNFAIR that you have to suffer even though you bought the purchase. NO MATTER the reason WHY the protections exist, if they don't work, they should NOT be in place. Read up on why file sharing is so popular before you make harsh decisions about the sharing practices. The reasons why sharing is so popular are far deeper than you might think.

FIGHT THE PROTECTION, not the reasons why it's there. The reason is just another example of why sharing is so popular. In this case, legally abiding citizens like yourself are being hurt.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Don't get it in your head that downlaoding mp3's is illegal. If you own the product, and would like backup copies, download them to your heart's content as you have that right. Go ahead and download them since you can't burn them yourself. You are not stealing in any way since you bought the product in question.

I won't download them because I don't want to condone in any way the activities of those who would steal from Al. It seriously steamed my broccoli that the MP3s were out there even before the release of PH. I know there were those who downloaded them AND went out to buy PH. I guess that's ok. But it doesn't beat the rush I felt when I finally had Poodle Hat in my hands! Who needs drugs?
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

I'm probably going to encode the CD into MP3 because I'm trying to make a CD with EVERY Weird Al song on it, and that's only possible with MPEG-1 Layer III compression.
ExitWound

Post by ExitWound »

I won't download them because I don't want to condone in any way the activities of those who would steal from Al. It seriously steamed my broccoli that the MP3s were out there even before the release of PH.
You were not part of that crowd, and still aren't. I don't see the parallel. You have a disc that DOES NOT WORK on your PC and you want it to, and by all standpoints, it SHOULD work in every cd player with the official CompactDisc Logo (patented by Phillips and Sony). But it doesn't. There is no reason why you should not put them there if you want to so you can listen to them on your PC. It's silly (and in this case sounding stubborn through lack of facts) to believe that doing it is against the rules, or joining the dark side. I'm not trying to sound harsh, but there's no real other way to put it. If you want that disc to be played on your PC, you have to go through the methods described above. Otherwise, you as the consumer, have just bought a product that is useless to you in the manner you intended to purchase it for.

(I have no beef with you, or anyone here. I may sound overstern, but I'm not. I'm happy the new ALbum is out, but I'm furious that it's protected and people are getting ripped off in the process.)

Don't be hatin'. Love and stuff :)