Poodle Hat Chart Watch (was: Predictions... Billboard)

Moderator: Moderators

Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

You don't suppose that a good number of those are more-than-casual but less-than-diehard fans who saw a concert ad, said, "Cool! Weird Al's gonna be in town! Let's go!" without realizing that he has a new album out? I kind of got that vibe from some of the people I was sitting near at the Greek Theater.
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

Orthography Enthusiast @ Mar 16 2004, 02:18 AM wrote: You don't suppose that a good number of those are more-than-casual but less-than-diehard fans who saw a concert ad, said, "Cool! Weird Al's gonna be in town! Let's go!" without realizing that he has a new album out?
Of course, but one would think if they were in that middle area of fandom then they would have bought a $14ish CD before a $30ish concert ticket.
All Things Yankovic
http://www.dohtem.com/al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Can't breathe like that, can you??"

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Ok, I watched the ad that was shown on tv *I was watching the Eminem interview to post a question in another Forum, where people just post random questions for others to answer.* I, of course, posted this one:

"What is the mathematical formula used to determine the area inside a pentadodecahedron?"

That'll keep 'em guessing!

Anyhow, here's what they said in the Poodle Hat ad:

He's been a surgeon, a Flintstone, and an Amish guy. He's been Fat, a Jedi warrior, and he's even survived Jurassic Park. He's Smelled Like Nirvana, and never forgot it was All About the Pentiums. Now, finally, he's back! Poodle Hat, the new album from "Weird Al" Yankovic, featuring the Eminem parody, "Couch Potato", along with parodies of hits by Nelly, Avril Lavigne and others. Call the number on your screen to order Weird Al's all-new album, Poodle Hat.

They matched up the video clips with each song mention, then showed kind of a silhouette of Bela being put on Al's head, then the cd cover. Once they mentioned the prices *$18.98 for the cd, $12.98 for the cassette*, an address flashed on the screen, and they talked about shipping and handling, blah, blah.

So now you know what the tv ad was like. At least, what was said!

Patti

you were right, CD. $18.98!
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Genius in Maine
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Genius in Maine »

Wasn't Smells Like Nirvana mentioned in the ad too?
http://www.last.fm/user/geniusinmaine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Oh, yeah! *goes to add* I did write it all down, too!

Thanks, GIM. I skipped a whole line there. It kinda looked short when I was done. hehe!

All fixed!

So awesome!

Al Team #325
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Patti, I hadn't gotten that far when I was replying to CD's post.
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

ah, ok. sorry. Well, now you can see that I posted the ad content. Doing research, you know!

Patti

somebody had to watch Al-TV!

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

CatraDhtem @ Mar 16 2004, 02:39 AM wrote:
Orthography Enthusiast @ Mar 16 2004, 02:18 AM wrote: You don't suppose that a good number of those are more-than-casual but less-than-diehard fans who saw a concert ad, said, "Cool! Weird Al's gonna be in town! Let's go!" without realizing that he has a new album out?
Of course, but one would think if they were in that middle area of fandom then they would have bought a $14ish CD before a $30ish concert ticket.
You'd be surprised! When I wore my Poodle Hat shirt to school, I had a lot of people coming up to me saying that they were huge fans of Al, and then they would all say that they wished he would come out with something new. They had no idea about PH. One guy sitting behind me at the Cleveland concert said he had been an Al fan since 1983, and he just saw an ad for the concert and decided to go. He had no idea there was a new album. Of course he must have been a pretty casual fan if he didn't know about PH, but still, people at concerts don't have to own PH(even though they sell it at the merch booth for crying out loud)!
Oh by the way, I've cracked the code.
Genius in Maine
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Genius in Maine »

Did he think Al had done a ton of new concert-only songs? There must have been plenty he didn't recognize.
http://www.last.fm/user/geniusinmaine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

Genius in Maine @ Mar 16 2004, 10:33 AM wrote: Did he think Al had done a ton of new concert-only songs? There must have been plenty he didn't recognize.
Well he obviously realized that he had missed something as soon as Al started singing AWBP, and he asked me, "Is this song new?". He was surprised to learn about the album.
Oh by the way, I've cracked the code.