Running With Scissors Song By Song Review

Moderator: Moderators

sethmartin
Regular

Post by sethmartin »

Ok, I'm bored so I'll do this too. (As always, the following may not please all Al fans.)

1. The Saga Begins 6/10

Pretty good lyrical adaption, especially since Al hadn't seen the movie yet when he wrote it, not the best parody or song. I like the video. This was the first Al video featuring his "new" look. So playing Obi Wan was a good transition video. The song is ok. I thought it was kind of weird to start the album off with a parody of such an old song, but it worked and Al has done that before. I don't care much for those new Star Wars movies so maybe that's why this song doesn't exactly thrill me.

2. My Baby's in Love With Eddie Vedder 4/10

I've met Eddie Vedder and he is a whiney little bit.. well you know. It was good to hear a song by Al making fun of him, the lyrics were great. I don't care for the music though. I don't know why Al chose to do that song in a polka type style. I don't know if maybe it was a style parody that I missed. I think it would have probably worked better if it was a sound alike of Pearl Jam.

3. Pretty Fly For A Rabbi 9/10

I remember being in the record store and buying Running With Scissors when it came out. I grabbed the CD and on my way to the checkout, I flipped it over to see what songs were on it. I remember seeing this title and laughing in the store just by the title. All in all, it's a pretty good song. It's funny, it flows, it works. At the time, I didn't really know why Al would do a parody of a song that was already pretty tongue and cheek. But hey, if it works it works. I also think Al did a pretty good impression of Offspring.

4. The Weird Al Show Theme 2/10

Complete waste of disc space. A lazy attempt to squeeze a 12th song on the album and a big F U to all the fans who had been waiting so patiently for a new album. I remember being angry that this song was on there. Now don't get me totally wrong, It's a good song. And it's undeniably the best part of the Weird Al show. But did it really need to be on the album, the song was already two years old by the time Running with Scissors came out. It would be like putting the ALTV theme on his next album. Hey he put Harvey the Wonder Hamster on one. Oh well, I better move on before I start ranting about my hatred for the Weird Al Show. Next.

5. Jerry Springer 9/10

Like Rabbi, another tongue and cheek type song parody. I did like it though. It's definitely a highlight off the album. I would have loved to see the video. Well, that's all I got to say about this one, good job Al.

6. Germs 9/10

Even my hard core rap friends like this one, it sounds a lot like Closer by NIN. At times it sounds a little too close. But it's funny, the music is good, and Al does a great impression of NIN. Good Work.

7. Polka Power! 7/10

Good Polka. And it seemed to have more songs in it than most polkas. I don't know maybe that's just me. Now I like the two polkas that followed a lot better, but at the time, this one worked.

8. Your Horoscope for Today 8/10

Good ska sounding song. The problem I've always had with Running with Scissors was that the songs were good but the compilation was just weird. Too many fast upbeat songs. But this one is funny and it works.

9. It's all About the Pentiums 3/10

The first Weird Al song Computer Based. It was obsolete before I opened the case.

I really really really hate Puff Daddy. I mean, so much I can't even sit through a Weird Al parody. This song was ok when it came out. I don't know why Al still does it in concert though, Pentiums are out. Now the song should be It's All About the Mac Pro!

10. Truck Driving Song 9/10

This is the best song on the album in my opinion. It's just about a complete departure from anything Al has ever done. It's catchy, clever, funny, and disturbing all at the same time.

11. Grapefruit Diet 4/10

I can't believe finally after all these years, Weird Al finally did a song about being fat! I mean he's done a lot of songs about food, but never a song about being FAT! What complete original genius this song has. Too bad there was never a video. Could you imagine Al dressed up in a fat suit. Or dancing around in a fat suit on stage. That would be awesome! I can't wait for the next album! Maybe Al will do a song about being Amish next! boo.

12. Albuquerque 8/10

It's definitely one of the best songs. It sounds almost just like Dick's Automotive. My only beef is that it's not long enough.

Ok, well, over all I thought Running with Scissors had some good songs on it. It wasn't the best album as far as variety, but it still worked in it's own little way.

Thanks for reading my little review and rant here, and let the good times roll

Seth
ArtVandelay
Occasional

Post by ArtVandelay »

The Saga Begins: Well, we begin this album with a classic parody of a classic song. TSB holds a special place in my heart, being the first Weird Al song I heard that made me a true fan. It gets old after a while, but this song showcases Al's true writing and vocal talents. 4.5/5

My Baby's In Love With Eddie Vedder: This was the first time I ever heard a zydeco-type song, and I like the sound of it. However, like Seth, I would've liked to see the song done in a Pearl Jam style. 4/5

Pretty Fly For A Rabbi: Any song about rabbis who shiksas love is okay by me. I thought Weird Al did a good job of imitating The Offspring here. 5/5

The Weird Al Show Theme: Meh. It's a good theme and all, but it just seemed like filler on this album. 2/5

Jerry Springer: Succesfully captured the essence of the trashy daytime sleaze show. It helps that I'm a big fan of the original too. 5/5

Germs: Being a hypocondriac (sp?) myself, I loved this parody. It captures NIN's style perfectly and I love those background noises (If you listen closely, you can even hear a demonic voice say "Germs"). 5/5

Polka Power!: One of my least favorite polkas, but still enjoyable. Like the title. 3/5

Your Horoscope For Today: Being a Reel Big Fish fan, it was a joy to see this gem on the album. The horoscope predictions are a real hoot too. 5/5

It's All About The Pentiums: It took me a while to warm up to this one, but I can now see why people love this parody so much. Some of the terminology and references seem dated today, but it's still an enjoyable listen. 4.5/5

Truck Drivin' Song: Wow, that's the most disturbing truck driving song I've ever heard.........I love it! I like it whenever Al uses his low voice. 4.5/5

Grapefruit Diet: This song is probably my least favorite on the album (Besides the Weird Al Show Theme). Too similar to Fat for my tastes. I do like the sound of it though, being one of the few people who remembers The Cherry Poppin' Daddies. 2/5

Albuquerque: Wow, just wow. Everything about this song is just perfect. The writing, the length, the delivery, the instrumentals, even the place-name. There's few a Weird Al fan who dislikes this song. Without a doubt, my favorite song on the album. 5000000/5 (What, too high? Nonsense!)

Overall: I would have to say Running With Scissors is one of my favorite albums by the Alster. Eveything from the track listing to the name to the cover is great. 4.5/5
I bought some batteries but they weren't included, so I bought them again.
weird user
Addicted

Post by weird user »

scottidog @ Jun 10 2007, 04:30 PM wrote: Grapefruit Diet is Jazz? I thought it was Swing. A parody of Zoot Suit Riot.

It sounds like jazz to me.
JEDM
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by JEDM »

I think Grapefruit Diet is half jazz/half swing.....but I'm not the Cherry Poppin' Daddies, so i'm not sure 100%
childofthespiral
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by childofthespiral »

My Humble Opinion:

The Saga Begins (10 Stars)

My Baby's In Love With Eddie Vedder (4 Stars)

Pretty Fly For A Rabbi (8 Stars)

The Weird Al Show Theme (7 Stars)

Jerry Springer (10 Stars)

Germs (10 stars!!!)

Polka Power! (8 Stars)

Your Horoscope For Today (10 stars)

It's All About The Pentiums (10 Stars)

Truck Drivin' Song (4 Stars)

Grapefruit Diet (9 stars)

Albuquerque (27 stars)
mind=blown
Oh, the secrets we keep
JEDM
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by JEDM »

I must admit, Germs varies with me from time to time

Now I must listen to it :rolleyes:
childofthespiral
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by childofthespiral »

I love Germs. It's my second favorite song on RWS. Albuquerque is my favorite.
mind=blown
Oh, the secrets we keep
JEDM
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by JEDM »

childofthespiral @ Jun 10 2007, 09:47 PM wrote: I love Germs. It's my second favorite song on RWS. Albuquerque is my favorite.
Albuquerque is my favorite on RWS too....

Germs goes from, 2 down to 9, up to 1, down to 7, up to 3, depending on my current mood
weirdalisthephantomoftheopera
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by weirdalisthephantomoftheopera »

I love Germs all the time, probably because whenever I listen to it, it reminds me of a fan video I was going to make, but I never had the camera. I just have the image of me acting it out in my mind...like a crazy person...
"Beneath this pillow is the key to my release...I believe she misinterpreted my intentions entirely."

~Meli
JEDM
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by JEDM »

weirdalisthephantomoftheopera @ Jun 10 2007, 10:07 PM wrote: ...like a crazy person...
Do you mean.....like Al?? :lookaround:

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, just asking ;)