Dick's Automotive

Moderator: Moderators

CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

spacedingo @ Jun 28 2006, 09:14 PM wrote: I could do that, but just like when I swore not to look at the liner notes when Running With Scissors came out so I wouldn't see who was in the polka, I'll probably break that promise before I get to the songs in question
See, I couldn't do that. My willpower's not that strong. I need to check out the booklet upon opening.

I still remember sitting in the Best Buy parking lot cracking up over the band picture in the RWS booklet. I can't begin to think what people walking by thought seeing someone in their parked car alone laughing hysterically at nine or so in the morning.
All Things Yankovic
http://www.dohtem.com/al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Can't breathe like that, can you??"

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

Even if you saw The Rugburns thanked in the booklet, you (or most people, anyway) wouldn't have immediately associated them with "Albuquerque" right away. There would still be some detective work involved for connecting that song to something as obscure as "Dick's Automotive".

Meadows
Your Horoscope For Today: Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola virus.
Cinnamon
Obsessed

Post by Cinnamon »

mrmeadows Posted: Jun 28 2006, 07:44 PM 
  I actually kinda feel bad about this.
I did, too

spacedingo Posted on Jun 29 2006, 01:08 AM
  Oh, I would definitly prefer guessing. It's more fun that way (Though one could see why Al's starting to feel that way)
yeah

mrmeadows Posted on Jun 29 2006, 02:29 AM
  Even if you saw The Rugburns thanked in the booklet, you (or most people, anyway) wouldn't have immediately associated them with "Albuquerque" right away. There would still be some detective work involved for connecting that song to something as obscure as "Dick's Automotive".
Sure :)

CatraDhtem Posted on Jun 29 2006, 01:32 AM
  QUOTE (spacedingo @ Jun 28 2006, 09:14 PM)
I could do that, but just like when I swore not to look at the liner notes when Running With Scissors came out so I wouldn't see who was in the polka, I'll probably break that promise before I get to the songs in question

See, I couldn't do that. My willpower's not that strong. I need to check out the booklet upon opening.

I still remember sitting in the Best Buy parking lot cracking up over the band picture in the RWS booklet. I can't begin to think what people walking by thought seeing someone in their parked car alone laughing hysterically at nine or so in the morning.

:lol: I like to study the front and study the back of the cd case, then listen to the ALbum without looking inside the booklet. After the first listen, I look at the pictures and then listen to the ALbum again while looking at the booklet/reading the lyrics. Then run to the internet to see what people are saying :)
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

If the next one is anything like the last one, you'll need a magnifying glass if you want to read the lyrics from the booklet.
They were set in 5 point type.
This means something. This is important.
twinkieweinersandwiches24_7
Off The Deep End

Post by twinkieweinersandwiches24_7 »

mrmeadows @ Jun 28 2006, 07:29 PM wrote: Even if you saw The Rugburns thanked in the booklet, you (or most people, anyway) wouldn't have immediately associated them with "Albuquerque" right away.  There would still be some detective work involved for connecting that song to something as obscure as "Dick's Automotive".
Exactly. I think Al figured that putting the Rugburns in the booklet might not have made much of a difference, because they are not very well-known, and like you said wouldn't be associated with Albuquerque right away because of their obscurity. Also, most people who aren't die-hard fans probably wouldn't bother to look up the Rugburns anyway, so Al didn't want to waste that extra 2¢ in printing it. I feel a little bad about this, too, because I initially thought that Al wanted to make people think Alb. was his own. But then I realized that Al isn't that kind of person, and then the Ask Al was a good reassurance. Now, I don't think Al wanted to take credit away from the Rugburns and/or make people think Albuquerque was completely of his own styling, but--no disrespect to the Rugburns--not many people would have known who they are.

I think I've just repeated everything everyone's said for the past week...and I'm using small print a lot lately. I gotta stop, because it's annoying.
Stephanie
Al Team #2781
KnottyEmily
Obsessed

Post by KnottyEmily »

Going back to the original point of this thread [losing respect for Al when discovering an original isn't an 'original' original]

What do people think now that they've learned that only one of Al's originals [HS]is even remotely close to being an 'original' original?

Personally, it makes no difference. I think it would be impossible [and boring] for Al's originals to all be in one particular style, partly because Al doesn't seem to have a 'style' [rock, pop, etc] apart from being funny and clever....
The tsunami of immediacy will wash away the flood of grief, and reveal a layer of naive optimism underneath
Dumb N00b
Obsessed

Post by Dumb N00b »

Well, I do remember him having said something him having stopped doing "original originals," which implies he was doing them at one point.
But anyway, I lose no respect for Al. There are very few things that make me lose respect for Al, and I can't think of what they are right now.
Dave? Hello Dave? Is Dave there? There's a block in your t'ilet.
KnottyEmily
Obsessed

Post by KnottyEmily »

Maybe we could steer this topic in another direction? [we don't have to, it's just a thought]

What is the one thing that would make you lose all respect for Al? Could there be such a thing? It can be anything, even if it's really out there and there's would be no way Al would ever do it....Honestly, I can't even think of anything right now.....I guess if he uses sexist/racist etc stuff in his songs, that would do it for me. He'd have to do it in a big way though, everybody makes mistakes or goes a little bit too far sometimes.

i'm 127% certain Al would NEVER do that, but that's what it would take for me to lose my respect for him.
The tsunami of immediacy will wash away the flood of grief, and reveal a layer of naive optimism underneath
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

KnottyEmily @ Jun 30 2006, 10:38 PM wrote: I guess if he uses sexist/racist etc stuff in his songs, that would do it for me. He'd have to do it in a big way though
I'm positive Al would never do anything like that, unless it were to mock and point out the absurdity of that kind of thinking. (In a way, songs like "Such a Groovy Guy" and "Wanna B UR Lovr" skewer the absurdity of the sexist male view of women as objects.)

Racism is a touchier subject, and I doubt Al would tackle something that explosive. But yeah, if Al suddenly started singing "funny" white supremacist songs*, I may have to look elsewhere for entertainment.

Meadows

*the odds against that happening are so beyond infinite, my head just exploded.
Your Horoscope For Today: Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola virus.
Dumb N00b
Obsessed

Post by Dumb N00b »

Well, he did do Trigger Happy, which was a "funny" right-wing paranoid gun nut song....obviously, it was ironic, and I think an ironic song that mentioned the KKK in the style of Trigger Happy wouldn't make me blow up my radio.

That's MY opinion. I'm not contradicting you, I'm just saying it would have to be
pretty bad to be enough to make me stop, not that he would EVER do such a thing.
Swearing, which I doubt he would ever do, would not make me blow up my radio either, because, hey! FZ did it and I like him.
The only thing that would make me lose respect is if he got really politically correct and stopped writing songs like P@TLC and Mr. Frump. Not a lot of respect, but some. That and the aforementioned sexism/racism, of course.
Dave? Hello Dave? Is Dave there? There's a block in your t'ilet.