The Alternative Polka

Moderator: Moderators

CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

TMBJon @ August 23, 2009 04:32 am wrote: I swear I don't remember that he performed TAP with Buddy Holly live. I saw the Bad Hair Tour and I've seen a bootleg of another show - don't remember that from either one.
Yeah, I don't remember it being performed live either. Granted I only went to two shows on that whole tour, so I guess it could have just been an occasional or one-time-only thing.

IIRC, there's at least one clip on YouTube of Al performing the song live (it led to a discussion about whether or not Al had actually said the "F" word during "Closer"), but I'm pretty sure "Buddy Holly" was absent from that as well.

As for the "Photograph" section of "Polkarama!", I was under the impression that Al couldn't find a good place for the song to fit into the polka while he was arranging it, so he merely left it out. So theoretically there shouldn't be a recording out there that includes "Photograph" because that song never made it to the recording stage.
All Things Yankovic
http://www.dohtem.com/al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Can't breathe like that, can you??"

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RyanHippFTW
Off The Deep End

Post by RyanHippFTW »

There's two videos of him playing it live, at least one audio on YouTube. I also have a video and audio bootleg, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't played at all during the tour.
Yankovic Farley
Addicted

Post by Yankovic Farley »

As for the "Photograph" section of "Polkarama!", I was under the impression that Al couldn't find a good place for the song to fit into the polka while he was arranging it, so he merely left it out.

Yeah, I wasn't sure. I don't recall the exact wording of Al talking about that. Anybody remember where that was?
'Who are you and how did you get in here?' 'I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.' Leslie Nielsen, as Lieutenant Frank Drebin, From Police Squad
AlejandraDD
Obsessed
Awards: Most Violent Reaction to Someone Losing the Al-Man of the Year Award (The Tomato Awards)

Post by AlejandraDD »

Ask Al, June 6, 2007

Nickelback was nice enough to give their permission for me to use their song "Photograph" in the latest polka medley. I typically get clearances for the songs in the medley before I actually arrange it... and when I was putting "Polkarama!" together, I just couldn't find a way to incorporate the Nickelback song into it where it didn't sound wedged in or tacked on - so unfortunately I had to leave it off. You may notice that I also mentioned T Pain in the "special thanks" - similarly, he had given his blessing for me to do a parody of one of his songs. At the last minute, I decided against recording the song for the album, but if you come to one of my live shows this summer, you may hear a snippet of it somewhere in the medley...
"Some nerds search Weird Al boards their whole lives and never meet anyone." - uwvark

2019: Fort Wayne, Kettering, Rochester Hills, Cleveland, Pittsburgh
https://www.concertarchives.org/alejand ... l-yankovic

AlFest 2009
Yankovic Farley
Addicted

Post by Yankovic Farley »

Hmmm, I'm thinking you guys are correct. Thanks for the find, Alejandra.
'Who are you and how did you get in here?' 'I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.' Leslie Nielsen, as Lieutenant Frank Drebin, From Police Squad
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

I've officially replaced The Alternative Polka in my iTunes with a new version of the song with Buddy Holly mixed in. I never plan to listen to the other version again.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Demented Dustin
Regular

Post by Demented Dustin »

I clearly remember Buddy Holly. I always wondered what it would have sounded like in the Alternative Polka. I really like it!! I was pleasantly surprised how funny it sounded done polka style! Much funnier than the Beverly Hills in Polkarama. I like the music arrangement a lot for that section of the polka. Nicely done Al!
"Everytime I talk about toasters, the subject of bread pops up"-anonymous
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Demented Dustin @ August 23, 2009 05:29 pm wrote: I clearly remember Buddy Holly.
Haha, good to know you "clearly remember" one of the top five modern rock songs of all time. :cop:
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

That was great! I just wish I were savvy enough to be able mix it back in, like TMBJon did.
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
AlejandraDD
Obsessed
Awards: Most Violent Reaction to Someone Losing the Al-Man of the Year Award (The Tomato Awards)

Post by AlejandraDD »

TMBJon @ August 23, 2009 09:35 pm wrote: Haha, good to know you "clearly remember" one of the top five modern rock songs of all time. :cop:
I don't remember ever hearing it! I speculate this is in part because I live in a different country, and in part because I live inside a mayonnaise jar. In fact, it's a bit of a 50/50 for me and the songs in TAP

"Loser" by Beck. - Yes, totally heard it a billion times.
"Sex Type Thing" by Stone Temple Pilots. - Don't think I had ever heard it
"All I Wanna Do" by Sheryl Crow. - Yes, this was played again and again over here.
"Closer" by Nine Inch Nails. - Nope. Never heard it. Just went looking for the song in YouTube. Amazing how it sounds like "Germs" :P
"Bang And Blame" by R.E.M. Probably, I'm not sure. Of course I'm very familiar with Losing my Religion, though :P
"You Oughta Know" by Alanis Morissette. DUH! I love Alanis
"Bullet With Butterfly Wings" by Smashing Pumpkins. No, I don't think I heard this one either.
"My Friends" by Red Hot Chili Peppers. I love the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I love this song so much.
"I'll Stick Around" by Foo Fighters. No, I don't think I've heard this particular song. Though I am familiar with other Foo Fighters songs, especially Learn to Fly.
"Black Hole Sun" by Soundgarden. YES. Greatest song in the universe, though the video has me traumatized for life.
"Basket Case" by Green Day. I looooove this song so much. For some reason, over here, they used it for the "Lois & Clark" TV ads, so it's forever attached to Dean Cain in spandex in my brain. I'm not complaining :D

Anyway, yeah. Never heard Buddy Holly. And now that I've heard it, I don't think it's that great, and I wouldn't care either way if it was included in the polka or not.
"Some nerds search Weird Al boards their whole lives and never meet anyone." - uwvark

2019: Fort Wayne, Kettering, Rochester Hills, Cleveland, Pittsburgh
https://www.concertarchives.org/alejand ... l-yankovic

AlFest 2009