UHF Score

Moderator: Moderators

SmileyGirl87
Off The Deep End

Post by SmileyGirl87 »

Great idea, BTD! I'd buy a copy...

I LOVE the music for "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" but haven't been able to find a soundtrack for it...

:(

~*Cat*~
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Great idea, BTD! I'd buy a copy...

I LOVE the music for "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" but haven't been able to find a soundtrack for it...

:(

~*Cat*~

That's because you haven't looked here yet! ;)

It's a great soundtrack! I highly recommend it!
Ratbert197
Obsessed

Post by Ratbert197 »

I actually happened to see the man who did the score, John Duprez, live when he was Eric Idle's (of Monty Python fame) tour.
fred27
Obsessed

Post by fred27 »

Ratbert197 Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:45 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I actually happened to see the man who did the score, John Duprez, live when he was Eric Idle's (of Monty Python fame) tour.

does that mean he touring with eric, as of now, this very moment, if so im gonna have to get a ticket for the show here

fred
fred

total shows to date, 161
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

John Du Prez did the original score for UHF

Can someone enlighten me? I thought Al wrote the songs for UHF. How is that different from the score? And why didn't Al do it? I'm sure he could have.
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

A score is the orchestral/incidental music composed for a film. It's a very time-consuming task. With the script writing, song writing and starring in, Al probably didn't have any time left for serious composing.
fred27
Obsessed

Post by fred27 »

i checked the web pg for eric's tour, and he IS touring with him, gona go and get my dvd signed, and my jacket

fred
fred

total shows to date, 161
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

John Du Prez did the original score for UHF
Can someone enlighten me? I thought Al wrote the songs for UHF. How is that different from the score? And why didn't Al do it? I'm sure he could have.

Al wrote the songs that you hear on the soundtrack and occasionally in the film (LMBYH, UHF, MFN/BH, FZ) but that is different from the score. The score, like El said, is the orchestral music. It includes not only the main instrumental themes from the film but also the incidental (or "background") music. Writing score music is a difficult task in that the composer needs to write music that enhances each particular scene without being overpowering. It's really a job better suited to a film composer, like Du Prez, rather than a rock song writer.

There have been a few rock stars who have attempted (successfully) to write score music, including R.E.M., Tom Petty, and Danny Elfman (from Oingo Boingo), but not many more. Even Elton John, who wrote the SONGS for The Lion King, did not attempt to write the score. I'm sure with practice, Al could be a fine film composer if he wanted to, but for UHF, I think it was a better idea to go with Du Prez.
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

I'm sure with practice, Al could be a fine film composer if he wanted to, but for UHF, I think it was a better idea to go with Du Prez.

Yeah, with film-scoring lessons added to the acting lessons, he wouldn't have had time to make the movie. That would have been too many brand-new hats to wear all at once.

Wouldn't Mark Mothersbaugh also be one of the successful rock-musician scorers? Mutato Musika?
doggans
Die-hard Fan

Post by doggans »

Just a thought...

Maybe the score isn't on the soundtrack because Al couldn't get permission from Orion (or whoever) to include the score, but he already owned the songs...?
"Wow, another triple negative!"