UHF Score

Moderator: Moderators

Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

UHF Score

Post by Bruce the Duck »

I wasn't sure where to put this topic or if another similar one existed already. Mods, feel free to lock, move, or whatever.

For a comedy movie, the score for UHF is very good. As a fan of film score music, I am familiar with many artists (John Williams being my absolute favorite, but also Alan Silvestri, Jerry Goldsmith, and Danny Elfman).

Now, I just watched "Raiders of the Lost Ark," which is new on DVD. I've seen it plenty of times before, but this time I was paying particularly close attention to the opening scene and the similarities with UHF's opening. It's uncanny how similar those two extras look! Anyway, like I said, I am a huge fan (almost as much as I am an Al fan) of John Williams and his music. But I couldn't help notice that the score music during the opening of UHF is much better than John William's music for the opening of Raiders. In fact, I started hearing the UHF music playing in my head over the Raiders of the Lost Ark scene. Of course, the rest of the music for those films is legendary, but that's beside the point.

Some other really excellent moments in the score include Rambo sequence theme, driving up to U62, end celebration theme, and the "sad" theme (the one played during emotionally low moments in the film). What other pieces of the film score do you like? Also, does anyone know if the theme from the Rambo sequence is a "parody" of the music from Rambo? I've never seen Rambo, so I wouldn't know. I know that the Gone with the Wind music and Raiders of the Lost Ark music are parodies of the original theme and score respectively.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

:angry: Okay. Fine. Everybody just ignore my thread. :mad: I'll just be over here sulking. :(
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

I agree with you. I think the score for UHF is fantastic!! It is way better than the score for Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Oh by the way, I've cracked the code.
The Sporkman
Addicted

Post by The Sporkman »

UHF was an extremely well-scored movie. I was actually disappointed when I first got my grubby little fingers on the soundtrack to discover that it didn't feature any of the aforementioned great scoring.

Uh . . . No offense to Al or the actual content of the album, of course.
sarley27
Off The Deep End

Post by sarley27 »

It is a VERY well scored movie. I agree!!!!
Work, is play. Tofutti break today.

Secrets...of...the Universe.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

I agree with you. I think the score for UHF is fantastic!! It is way better than the score for Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Hold on, now! I wouldn't go that far! The Raiders score was pretty much perfect. But the opening sequence theme in UHF was better than the opening score of Raiders.

Anyway, what about the questions I asked? Anybody?
squishsquashgirl
Obsessed

Post by squishsquashgirl »

WOW! Now I have another thing to pay attention to while watching UHF! It's amazing how many components go into a great film, and you just take the entire thing for granted when watching it.
SmileyGirl87
Off The Deep End

Post by SmileyGirl87 »

I think all of UHF is extrememly well scored. It is one of the hardest yet most vital elements to any movie, and they nailed it!

I love the Rambo sequence especially....the downward chord progressions with the trumpets are wonderful..:inlove:..sometimes I watch that part just for the music!

Very, very catchy...

~*Cat*~

^:biggrin:
Dr_Dad
Obsessed

Post by Dr_Dad »

John Du Prez did the original score for UHF, and I agree he did a marvelous job. As per IMDB, John has also scored a number of other movies, including all 3 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movies, Monty Python's The Meaning Of Life, and even A Fish Called Wanda.

The "sad tune" in the bar scene [where George orders the blueberry dacquiri] is actually an original piece written by none other than our own Steve Jay entitled "Way Blue", and it's listed in the UHF credits as such. The entire song can be heard on Steve's promo-only album Film Music.

I've often wished the score was commercially released. I especially like the "doo wop" song Al and the band sing during the movie also.

:)

Doc
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

I was really impressed with the music from the first Ninja Turtle movie as well. I never knew it was written by the same guy.

Hey, does anyone know if there's a place that we could get a petition going to have the score released on its own album. Several movies over the years (Batman, Forrest Gump, Home Alone 2, and loads of others) have released both the actual score soundtrack as well as those stupid various artists compilation soundtracks. I for one would LOVE to have the UHF score on CD.