I Want a New Duck

Moderator: Moderators

Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Re: I Want a New Duck

Post by Bruce the Duck »

MandatoryFun wrote:LOL well of course you like it, look at your name, homie :onfire:
Actually, my screen name comes from Al's rendition of "Peter and the Wolf," in which the duck character was also called Bruce as a call back to this song. PatW is one of my favorite of Al's side projects. If you haven't heard it, you should seek it out.
MandatoryFun
Occasional

Post by MandatoryFun »

Who cares :peace:
Hey guys, I got this username first ha ha
avesjohn
Obsessed

Post by avesjohn »

As a birder, you think I'd have a special appreciation for this song and all its avian jokes and puns. You'd be wrong. It's not a terrible song, but as Bruce mentioned, the concept is kind of lazy. As Al songs go, it's pretty middle-of-the-road, even for a birder like me.

My two cents.
Good Enough For Now
Occasional

Post by Good Enough For Now »

As a side note, I was at a wedding yesterday and "I Want a New Drug" was playing at the reception. Some folks outside started singing "Ghostbusters" and were legitimately shocked when I pointed out that it was Huey Lewis. I bored everyone with the lawsuit story (some were already aware), but it's funny how similar they are, especially when you can only hear the rhythm/bass.

"I Want a New Duck" would get a 10/10 on some imaginary grading scale purely for the quacky sax solo. The rest of it's pretty good too. :) (All in my opinion, of course!)
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

Good Enough For Now wrote:As a side note, I was at a wedding yesterday and "I Want a New Drug" was playing at the reception. Some folks outside started singing "Ghostbusters" and were legitimately shocked when I pointed out that it was Huey Lewis.
My dad did the same thing when I showed him the Alpocalypse tour DVD and my mom pointed out it was Huey Lewis.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
FreeDeliveryFan
Occasional

Post by FreeDeliveryFan »

I enjoy this one and it's not really a track skipper for me, I just enjoy it for what it is. I love that he brought it into the medley on the last tour as well. "Dare To Be Stupid" was one of Al's older albums that I had gotten into first some years back and was trying to hunt down all his physical albums (don't know why DTBS was so hard to find), but I've always enjoyed it more than say "Girls Just Want To Have Lunch" for example.
"Near...far...I'll Jump In My Car!"
mellow weasel
Obsessed

Post by mellow weasel »

avesjohn wrote:It's not a terrible song, but as Bruce mentioned, the concept is kind of lazy.
I don't think it's lazy, I find it quite original :unsure: . I loughted quite a lot when I listened to it the first time.

And the aswering machine record, where you can basically hear the idea being born, adds to my appreciation.
Muldernscully
Addicted

Post by Muldernscully »

I think loving the original song sometimes helps you appreciate the parody even more. That's the way it is for me with this song. I love Huey Lewis & the News and I love 'I Want a New Drug'. Such a bizarre concept, wanting a new duck. Only Al, only Al. Love it! 5 out of 5!
yankochick38
Be jealous.
Location: The comfort of my own home and Weird Al's chest hair

Post by yankochick38 »

I listened to this song with fresh ears last Friday night. It was almost as if I had never heard it before. I laughed at every duck pun like it was the funniest thing I'd ever heard. Ten outta ten quacks
Weird Al Yankovic is one busy daddy
YNN: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUOwVDpf5zQrXyKPPJWxs-Q
I abused my power and learned nothing!
-Alicia
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Really was a pleasure to have them do this on the last tour! It was a quacktastic experience to say the least. Al rocking that one was great and it's funny watching Ruben do the Sax solo on the keyboard.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!