Girls Just Wanna Have Lunch

Moderator: Moderators

Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

Cinnamon @ Oct 22 2007, 01:48 AM wrote: I enjoyed this song for years and years and didn't know of Al's resentment and the baggage attached to the song until a few years ago. That made me sad :( And it's too bad. This is one of the songs that made me lol every time I heard it and/or played it for others. I still think it's a wonderful song.
Well said. :clap: It was always one of my early favorites too!

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
CPFofAl
Die-hard Fan

Post by CPFofAl »

Gotta say a "me too" here. I've always liked it. I have always noticed a kind-of weird tone to Al's voice though... as if he's trying to sound like a muppet or something... is that Al's "tone of resentment"??
Go hang a salami, I'm a lasgna hog!

Al Team # 27°
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

I've always assumed it was.
And Peggy
Well, Well, Well
Bob Rozga

Post by Well, Well, Well »

Sort of reminds me of The Turtles' "Elenore", that was written with laughable, cliché-ridden lyrics (e.g., 'you're my pride and joy, et cetera') since a catchy, "Happy Together"-esque song was essentially required by the label. And yet it became one of their more popular songs.
taste is only something if it is yours.
Keir
Obsessed

Post by Keir »

Well, Well, Well @ Oct 22 2007, 11:20 PM wrote: Sort of reminds me of The Turtles' "Elenore", that was written with laughable, cliché-ridden lyrics (e.g., 'you're my pride and joy, et cetera') since a catchy, "Happy Together"-esque song was essentially required by the label. And yet it became one of their more popular songs.
I wasn't familiar with this song so I looked up the lyrics. He really says the words "et cetera". Wow. :lol:
Wishing you a Twisted Christmas and a Twisted New Year!
WeirdAlsBestFriend
Obsessed

Post by WeirdAlsBestFriend »

Hehehehehe, today at school we were using the spinning bikes and my teacher put 'Girls Just Wanna Have Fun' and so I started singing 'GJWHL'
Jeffrey Dahmer rules!
weird user
Addicted

Post by weird user »

HappyGilmore @ Oct 21 2007, 04:57 PM wrote: The song's eh. I just think it's funny when they make him record a song, to see the reactions he sends in. They wanted a cover, so he did George of the Jungle. They wanted a Christmas song, we got Christmas at Ground Zero. Both of those songs I liked.

Wait a minute, Al sang a cover of George of the Jungle just because the record company wanted him to perform a cover? Where'd you hear this?
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

weird user @ Oct 25 2007, 02:06 AM wrote:
Wait a minute, Al sang a cover of George of the Jungle just because the record company wanted him to perform a cover? Where'd you hear this?
I have to look for it. Don't have the time now. But I read they wanted a cover song. So he responded with George. Not sure if it's true or not, but I'd imagine it is.
That's what you get when you let your heart win.
Muldernscully
Addicted

Post by Muldernscully »

Bruce the Duck @ Jan 11 2004, 06:32 PM wrote: We know the story about GJWHL. Al didn't want to do a Cyndi Lauper parody, but the record company demanded it because of her enormous popularity, so Al did it.

But when you listen to the song, it's noticably inferior to his other parodies of that time, in several ways.

1) Lyrically and comedy-wise, it's just not as clever, funny, or imaginative as most of his stuff.

2) Musically, it sounded more like something that would have been on his debut album, with the musical hands and so on.

3) Vocally, not only did he not attempt to duplicate Lauper's singing (which, granted, is very unique and difficult to imitate), but he sang in that really obnoxious, annoying voice.

So here's my question: Did Al intentionally make the song so weak as a way of sticking it to the record company? Was the song done poorly out of spite? What do you guys think? Perhaps Bermuda knows the full story.
Bruce, I think you are spot on about this song. Everything you said makes sense. It was Al's way of stickin' it to THE MAN.
Cinnamon
Obsessed

Post by Cinnamon »

Muldernscully Posted on Nov 9 2007, 03:42 PM
It was Al's way of stickin' it to THE MAN.

My opinion only since I like the song, is that Al's way of "stickin' it to THE MAN" was by refusing to perform / promote the song, not by creating an inferior song *shrugs shoulders*