Dare To Be Stupid

Moderator: Moderators

avesjohn
Obsessed

Post by avesjohn »

Wouldn't it have been funny if the new Transformers used this song too?
I am shocked, offended, and a little turned on.

I don't curse. Except around vampires.
JEDM
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by JEDM »

One of my favorite songs off of this album, if not one of my favorite originals ever.
jerAL
Obsessed

Post by jerAL »

CPFofAl @ Aug 7 2007, 11:51 AM wrote: The Hootie/Burger King commercials a couple years ago reminded me of the "Jim-in-a-cowboy-suit" parts of this video.
THAT'S why they looked so familiar! :blink:
...man is distinguished from all other creatures by the faculty of laughter.
-Joseph Addison
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

"Dare to Be Stupid" is my all time favorite Al original track. Hands down. It's got it all: funny, catchy, good beat, and reminds me of Devo. Good example of the video fitting the song, too.
That's what you get when you let your heart win.
HAAS
Occasional

Post by HAAS »

ArtVandelay @ Jun 19 2007, 02:00 PM wrote: I've never seen the Transformers movie before. Is it actually in the movie and if so, where and for how long?
It is in the movie, during a fight sequence, though if I remember correctly only "Dare to be Stupid" is heard, meaning the only lyrics you hear, but the music is playing during a pretty decent portion of the scene instrumentaly
HAAS
ElRoboDiablo
Occasional

Post by ElRoboDiablo »

everybody keeps saying it's their fave original weird al song. i love 'dare to be stupid'. but it isn't an 'original'. as we all know (hopefully), there are four kinds of al songs: parodies, style parodies, polka medleys and originals. and this song is a DEVO style parody. just ask anybody with the last name mothersbaugh.

i'm just sayin'... :Y
now let me tell you what you DIDN'T win!
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Yeah, but he still wrote all the word and music, so it is an original, just in the style of Devo. Its just the same as if I wrote a song like Johny Cash, it's his style, but I took it and made it my own.
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Well, Well, Well
Bob Rozga

Post by Well, Well, Well »

Anything that's not a true parody would be considered an original. Duh.
taste is only something if it is yours.
Muldernscully
Addicted

Post by Muldernscully »

ElRoboDiablo @ Aug 14 2007, 11:33 AM wrote: everybody keeps saying it's their fave original weird al song. i love 'dare to be stupid'. but it isn't an 'original'. as we all know (hopefully), there are four kinds of al songs: parodies, style parodies, polka medleys and originals. and this song is a DEVO style parody. just ask anybody with the last name mothersbaugh.

i'm just sayin'... :Y
Dude, it's still an original if he is not directly parodying a specific song.

BTW, This song has grown on me over the years, but still not one of my favorite originals.
ElRoboDiablo
Occasional

Post by ElRoboDiablo »

well i would apologize for being wrong, but al himself has made this point over and over again. it's called a 'style parody'. which is why he has started putting the bands he 'style-parodies' in the liner notes of the records. if you think i'm talking smack about the man, so sorry.

i've been a devoted fan since the second album and i think he's a genius. but i understand how he works.
now let me tell you what you DIDN'T win!