I think the B-52's should cover "Mr. Popeil"

Moderator: Moderators

TronixBot

I think the B-52's should cover "Mr. Popeil"

Post by TronixBot »

I know Mr Popeil is a style parody of the B-52's, but I think what makes the B-52's the B-52's is not their style of music, but their voices. I know Al tried to emulate them as best as possible, but I think it would be even cooler if the B-52's did it themselves. Just a wish....
SmileyGirl87
Off The Deep End

Post by SmileyGirl87 »

I love the B-52s...they are second only to Al, and you know how I love him! I've never heard "Mr. Popeil" but I'm sure I would enjoy both versions of the song...(Al's and the B's)...Oddly enough, one of my other fave artists is none other than Ben Folds, who Al did a style parody of and had him play in WDTAHTM? (I know 98% of you are going- DUH!) but it's just kinda ironic...two of my fave artists, totally unrelated, are friends..:biggrin:

ttyl all!

~*Cat*~
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

I think we have discussed having an Al tribute album where all the Targets did their song.

On a related note, sort of... Mr. Popeil is the first style parody I figured out all on my own. It was a proud moment.

:satisfied:
SmileyGirl87
Off The Deep End

Post by SmileyGirl87 »

Heyyy what ever happened to that idea?? I'd like to hear Ben and Al do a duet...:inlove: WOW that would be amazing....:biggrin:

And I'm proud of you, Scotti! It was a "yay" worthy moment...

ttyl all!

~*Cat*~
Clyde the Viking
Occasional
Location: Oh, you know where I am. Mwa- ha- ha- ha- ha- cough- sputter- gag- choke!

Post by Clyde the Viking »

Has there ever been a case of an artist covering one of Al's style parodies of their own group?

Some, like the B-52s, Oingo Boingo, Devo, and Thei Might Be Giants I could see doing Mr. Popeil, You Make Me, Dare to Be Stupid, Everything You Know is Wrong as covers.

Only thing is, they won't sound too different from the original.
Egg Land Fondue?
SmileyGirl87
Off The Deep End

Post by SmileyGirl87 »

Yes...but that's the beauty of it...

Ironically, you just named a handful of my favorite originals...:blush:

Wow...guess I'm a little jaded, huh?

;)

ttyl all!

~*Cat*~
sbaxter

Post by sbaxter »

I actually think that Al does a decent mimicry of Fred Schneider in "Mr. Popeil." It isn't quite so much the voice as it is the vocal mannerisms and cadences.

The only thing about doing a style parody of the B-52's and They Might Be Giants is that it's hard to come up with a subject so silly the original bands wouldn't have done it anyway. I mean, TMBG did a song about a nightlight, and the B-52's did one about butterbeans, for cryin' out loud.

But I agree, I'd pay good money to hear the style parodies performed by the artists being parodied.

Qapla'

SSB
SmileyGirl87
Off The Deep End

Post by SmileyGirl87 »

C'mere you little butterbean, you...Come on!!

Butterbeans!! Yeahhhh!!

I know I'm disturbed...actually I just own Whammy!...:blush:

And don't forget...Life is Unfair! ;)

ttyl all!

~*Cat*~
TronixBot

Post by TronixBot »

And a Rock Lobster! "It wasn't a rock" LOL I just love the way he says it. What about songs like "Im So Sick Of You" and "Stuck In a Closet With Vanna White"? Are they style parodies? Man I need to find the style parody topic (there HAS to be one!)
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Style Parody topic? There is one... let me see if I can locate it.

Ah, yes! Here it is.