Polkas On 45

Moderator: Moderators

Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

I've always wondered if Al knew that he was going to do a polka song on every ALbum when he wrote this.
And Peggy
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

At the time, Al performed polka medleys a lot during his live shows, dating back to his college days. Most of the early polkas were variations of what eventually became Polkas on 45. So he may not have known how well known he would become for doing polka medleys, but still he did do them a good deal by the time he committed Polkas On 45 to record.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Whatinthe27
Occasional

Post by Whatinthe27 »

Barney Slayer @ Feb 9 2007, 02:31 AM wrote: I've always wondered if Al knew that he was going to do a polka song on every ALbum when he wrote this.
My guess is yes. Like TMBjon just posted he'd already had been doing polka medleys in his shows, and therefore they must have been getting a great response. It has to be a real pain getting permission and doing the legal mumbo-jumbo it takes to put a polka medley on the album, so I'd assume he was confident that it would all be worth it.
The title is just a parody of Stars on 45 and nothing more. It doesn't touch the only original part of Stars on 45, and from what i recall the majority of it was Paul McCartney songs, yet none of those songs appear in Al's polka medley. (just as Hooked on Polkas/Hooked on Classics doesn't parody classical music at all) So I think it's safe to assume that even if Stars on 45 wasn't a hit, In 3-D would have had a polka medley, it just would have a had a title like Polka Party or Polka Your Eyes out.

- Sam Hill
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Funnily enough, I just submitted that exact question to Ask Al on Tuesday! Hopefully we will get an answer.
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
TheLazenby
Addicted

Post by TheLazenby »

Well, not quite Paul McCartney songs - the original "Stars On 45" consisted of "Venus", "Sugar Sugar", and about 15 minutes of Beatles tunes.

Someone actually did a version of that a while ago with the actual songs instead of remakes - but unfortunately, they got in trouble because of the copyright and had to stop distributing it. :(
Steve's mixes, lookie!
Lousy Haircut - complete!! http://www.mediafire.com/?xyimjmdjkml
Black Gold vs Santa! http://www.mediafire.com/?zztmgltz2ym
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

TheLazenby @ Feb 9 2007, 09:05 PM wrote: Someone actually did a version of that a while ago with the actual songs instead of remakes - but unfortunately, they got in trouble because of the copyright and had to stop distributing it. :(
Actually, it's still available. It can be found here (on Al-ohilcs Anonymous)
And Peggy
TheLazenby
Addicted

Post by TheLazenby »

No no no, I was talking about "Stars On 45".
Steve's mixes, lookie!
Lousy Haircut - complete!! http://www.mediafire.com/?xyimjmdjkml
Black Gold vs Santa! http://www.mediafire.com/?zztmgltz2ym
Muldernscully
Addicted

Re: Polkas On 45

Post by Muldernscully »

I posted this on the incorrect Polkas on 45 thread. Reposting on the correct review thread:
I skip the polka medleys a lot. I have nothing against them. It depends on the mood I'm in. They are kind of meh for me. Their greatest use is to show a snapshot in time of the popular songs during those few years. 3 out of 5 stars.
YankoSwag 8888
Obsessed
Awards: All of them

Post by YankoSwag 8888 »

Always a favourite. Mainly because I like the songs he is singing
LaikaComeHome
Die-hard Fan

Post by LaikaComeHome »

Pretty good medley, I need to give it more love. I especially love the accordion riff on "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida."
Fan since 2007. Blossomed from casual fan to Algal in 2016. 9/14/16-<3 Mandatory Fun Tour at PPAC
--
Tumblr url is rock-a-noodle for those who want to hmu.