Your pants are groovy, and your hair's okay
But, man, that car of yours is so uncool
Like wow, 'm sorry, but we towed it away!"
Stop draggin' my Stop draggin' my Stop draggin' my car around
Now I'm in home, I'm watchin' Gilligan's Island
Guess it's time to trade my old car in
For twenty dollars and my '64 Plymouth
Maybe I could get a second-hand Schwinn
Look out the window, there's tow truck in the driveway I grabbed the driver and I asked him why
He said, "I'm sorry kid, you're late with the payments
It's time to kiss your little car goodbye"
Stop draggin' my Stop draggin' my Stop draggin' my car around Stop draggin' my car around
Listen, the check's in the mail, no, really Stop draggin' my car around Oh man,
I just got the hub caps painted Stop draggin' my car aroundHey!
Hey! I left a sandwich in the backseat Stop draggin' my car around Oh

:blink: I am surprised there wasn't a topic on this song. I like the song because he is singing about a car and I am a car enthusiast. A 64 Plymouth is a beautiful car, and I have always wondered what happed to the car that Al was referencing when he wrote "Belvidere Cruising" because they are classics today. :drool: Anyway, this is a great parody of "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around." I feel that this song is reflective of the decade before hand mentioning shady discos, Gilligans Island, and the word "Groovy." I feel that I relate to the song on a personal level because I was always having problems with my 2004 Mercury Sable, and alas needed towing a bunch. I had the song stuck in my head two days ago, and that's what brought me to the forum. "Stop Draggin' My Car Around" really showcases how far Al has came in is music and parodies. I know this isn't really one of Al's popular tracks but alas its a classic. Oh and not too mention doesn't his first Album hit the big 30 year mark this year?
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Re: Stop Draggin' My Car Around

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

I believe the '64 Plymouth went to college with Al. Anybody got any better info?
weird user
Addicted

Post by weird user »

I really like this song. It is one of the best from the first album (along with Ricky, I Love Rocky Road, Another One Rides the Bus, and The Check's in the Mail).

Sadly, this is the least-popular of the parodies from his first album, with two of the other parodies being made as music videos and the other two being the first two hit songs that Al had. And I think Stop Dragging My Heart Around might be the least-popular of the songs parodied as well (though I sort of feel My Sharona isn't as popular as it used to be, could be wrong).

TV Tropes has a trope called "The Weird Al Affect", referring to parodies being more popular than the original, but while Stop Dragging My Heart Around might not be as popular as it used to be, I think it's still one of the few songs to be more popular than Al's parody (is there a thread about songs that are more popular than Al's parodies?).
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

weird user wrote: Sadly, this is the least-popular of the parodies from his first album, with two of the other parodies being made as music videos and the other two being the first two hit songs that Al had. And I think Stop Dragging My Heart Around might be the least-popular of the songs parodied as well (though I sort of feel My Sharona isn't as popular as it used to be, could be wrong).

TV Tropes has a trope called "The Weird Al Affect", referring to parodies being more popular than the original, but while Stop Dragging My Heart Around might not be as popular as it used to be, I think it's still one of the few songs to be more popular than Al's parody (is there a thread about songs that are more popular than Al's parodies?).
I would have to say My Sharona is still a very popular classic rock song. I hear it all the time.

As for the "Weird Al Affect" [sic], I don't really understand the point. Nearly every song Al has parodied is more popular than the parody version. Run down the list... Mickey more popular than Ricky, Beat It more popular than Eat It, Like A Virgin more popular than Like A Surgeon... all the way down to Born This Way more popular than Perform This Way. What am I missing?

I think the more interesting question is: are there any parodies more important to Al's career than the original was to the original artist's career? I would say "Fat" is the obvious choice for this one. While Bad was only one of a dozen top MJ hits, it resuscitated Al's career at a crucial moment.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Muldernscully
Addicted

Post by Muldernscully »

The original is a very difficult song to listen to. Al's parody is easier to listen to, simply because the lyrics are funny, of course. All in all, it's an okay song. I give it 3 out of 5 stars.
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Even with that awesome accordion solo? I think that's the best part.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
LaikaComeHome
Die-hard Fan

Post by LaikaComeHome »

Love the vocals on this one and little squeaks in between.
Fan since 2007. Blossomed from casual fan to Algal in 2016. 9/14/16-<3 Mandatory Fun Tour at PPAC
--
Tumblr url is rock-a-noodle for those who want to hmu.
Sappho
Obsessed
Location: Hiding in Al's lustrous hair (but not in a creepy way).

Post by Sappho »

TIL this song is actually a parody. :lol:
Love and peace.
Heds
Obsessed

Post by Heds »

Well, the heart— I mean, the car, is draggin’ me around. ;(
aaaa

//heds

https://twitter.com/birdhousey" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.