The Hamilton Polka

No file trading allowed!

Moderator: Moderators

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Re: The Hamilton Polka

Post by TMBJon »

drewdy9999 wrote:Miranda: It's the Radiohead album of polka medleys. It's designed to be unplayable!
Aha, so my prediction that this might finally be the Radiohead style parody I've been begging for was... sort of... close...!!
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

While I may not know much about Hamilton, I don't know much about Star Wars either. And the more I think about it, THP is very much like TSB...while I may not be overly familiar with the source material, I have to admire it's construction and Al's approach and care for this.
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
yankochick38
Be jealous.
Location: The comfort of my own home and Weird Al's chest hair

Post by yankochick38 »

Guys so like the cash register sound and the cat sound are because he was the Secretary of the Treasury and had the nickname of "Tomcat" and Martha Washington named her feral tomcat after him, that's true!

Also there's a part where he transitions from being Lafyette into Jefferson soooooo good and it's the BEST because of REASONS
Spoiler:
the reasons are because a bunch of actors from the first act play different characters in the second act
But guys please even if you've never heard Hamilton

which you SHOULD and not being able to see it shouldn't stop you because literally the entire soundtrack is basically every word of the musical pretty much like there's no real speech but if you still want to see it I may know a way :ph34r:

but ANYWAY

guys this is one of the best Weird Al songs ever just listen please it's so good I'm gonna cry for the 38th time

:accordion:
Weird Al Yankovic is one busy daddy
YNN: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUOwVDpf5zQrXyKPPJWxs-Q
I abused my power and learned nothing!
-Alicia
drewdy9999
Regular

Post by drewdy9999 »

Yeah, the quality of the source material here can't really be understated. I, too, put off listening to the soundtrack for a while for whatever reason, but finally got around to it last summer and was really, really impressed.

Also, I made this design!

bizarreblair
Occasional

Post by bizarreblair »

yankochick38 wrote:Guys so like the cash register sound and the cat sound are because he was the Secretary of the Treasury and had the nickname of "Tomcat" and Martha Washington named her feral tomcat after him, that's true!
I know Al shouldn't have corrected him because he's been so overwhelmingly supportive and enthusiastic, but Jimmy Fallon keeps calling the cat screetch a duck quack, and I just keep thinking, "the cash register sound was right before it - both are significant. It's not a duck quack, it's a cat because of the tomcat nickname!" But what can you do? #FirstWorldProblems right?
ergalthema
Occasional

Post by ergalthema »

bizarreblair wrote:
yankochick38 wrote:Guys so like the cash register sound and the cat sound are because he was the Secretary of the Treasury and had the nickname of "Tomcat" and Martha Washington named her feral tomcat after him, that's true!
I know Al shouldn't have corrected him because he's been so overwhelmingly supportive and enthusiastic, but Jimmy Fallon keeps calling the cat screetch a duck quack, and I just keep thinking, "the cash register sound was right before it - both are significant. It's not a duck quack, it's a cat because of the tomcat nickname!" But what can you do? #FirstWorldProblems right?
Technically, I'm pretty sure there is no slide whistle as well... There are three instances of a siren whistle.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

I just want to know who did the Spike Jones glug. It was perfect. I feel it was either Bermuda or Steve

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

Drewdy, that's amazing! Great job!
And Peggy
Wolfman
Occasional

Post by Wolfman »

Love the new single! And I was completely caught off guard today when I saw it pop up on Facebook. What's strange is that my enjoyment of the polkas is usually directly proportional to how well I know the originals. But I've never seen or heard any of Hamilton and this has quickly become one of if not the favorite polka medley for me. Maybe it has to do with the style of the songs being all from the same musical, and thus flowing together more seamlessly. I don't know, but I've already listened to it more than 20 time in the past two days.

I'm also very glad to have gotten a new polka medley at all. I feared that the end of Al's contract would mean the end of polka medleys since they don't make any money, and seemed like they'd only be made if part of a larger album. Grateful to Lin Manuel for making this happen.
avesjohn
Obsessed

Post by avesjohn »

A day later, and the new song has only dropped 7 spots to #15 on the iTunes bestseller list.

It's no "White & Nerdy," but I still have high hopes for this song charting decently on the Billboard Hot 100 in the next week or so.