The Comedy Bang! Bang! songs

No file trading allowed!

Moderator: Moderators

CB Johnny
Addicted

The Comedy Bang! Bang! songs

Post by CB Johnny »

I am compiling all of Al's bandleader songs into one long cut. These songs are not available as an official release in any way beyond bingeing through Comedy Bang! Bang! which got me thinking.... Rather than upload this crudely frankensteined medley on Youtube where I hear Scott and company over the music..... or where I cut a millisecond of the softer more drawn out notes at the end because it's 12:27 in the morning and no one will notice.

I'd much rather see if any of us are empowered to help grease the wheels and get a clear quality upload without the other sound effects or dialog.

Do you folks think Al has a copy and that those at IFC and CBB would be alright with him putting them on Youtube?

Until then, for archival sake.... I'd love for some help naming these tracks. If Al had an official systematic organized set of names like "Commercial 1" "Bandleader Intro" but a bit more accurate then that would be easier for me to label and keep organized.

I also am feeling a Songography itch and need names for the Seasons Of Love parody and the two moments where Al harmonizes.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Re: The Comedy Bang! Bang! songs

Post by TMBJon »

The rights to all of these songs are owned by IFC (AMC Networks). You would have to get Al's permission, Scott's permission, Abso Lutely's permission, and AMC's permission in order to post these tracks anywhere. In all likelihood, that will never happen as there is still an option for Scott to release the full series on Blu-Ray some day.

I can tell you as the post supervisor on the show that Al did have an official systematic organized set of names for these tracks, but they were filenames not song titles. So they follow the formula of "CBB S05E05c1", "CBB S05E05c2", etc... Most episodes had six cues, and some of these cues were pre-recorded while others were played live. Thus, not all of the tracks exist cleanly. Some of them have "add on" tracks which were pre-recorded that go along with what Al did live on set. Usually these involved live vocals or live keyboards. The only way to get a truly clean version of those songs would be to dig into the audio split tracks which only IFC and Abso Lutely have access to.

There's no official title for the Seasons of Love parody, but we referred to it internally as "Digital Age".
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
CB Johnny
Addicted

Post by CB Johnny »

TMBJon wrote:The rights to all of these songs are owned by IFC (AMC Networks). You would have to get Al's permission, Scott's permission, Abso Lutely's permission, and AMC's permission in order to post these tracks anywhere. In all likelihood, that will never happen as there is still an option for Scott to release the full series on Blu-Ray some day.

Valid! I was hoping the content ratio compared to even one episode would constitute fair use but I'm really no expert on it. You'd abso lutely know better.
TMBJon wrote: I can tell you as the post supervisor on the show that Al did have an official systematic organized set of names for these tracks, but they were filenames not song titles. So they follow the formula of "CBB S05E05c1", "CBB S05E05c2", etc...
Great! Just as I expected. :) Would you be able and willing to get a list or provide more details on the naming patterns?
I'm interested in contributing to some fans' efforts to give The Songography new life. Those filenames sure aren't sexy to the casual reader but they look super easy to catalog alphabetically.
TMBJon wrote: Most episodes had six cues, and some of these cues were pre-recorded while others were played live. Thus, not all of the tracks exist cleanly. Some of them have "add on" tracks which were pre-recorded that go along with what Al did live on set. Usually these involved live vocals or live keyboards. The only way to get a truly clean version of those songs would be to dig into the audio split tracks which only IFC and Abso Lutely have access to.
Yeah it seemed like that but figured I might as well ask in case there was a part of production I'm not aware of that makes it easier.
TMBJon wrote: There's no official title for the Seasons of Love parody, but we referred to it internally as "Digital Age".

Perfect!

Thank you so much for your time and insight, Jon. Great work on the show, too.

to everyone else:
I should make it clear my primary interest in my recordings is for private use only so before anyone, especially newbies I never intereacted with, inch their cursor towards my inbox button: No, I'm not giving them away. Please don't ask. Thank you for your understanding!
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

CB Johnny wrote:Would you be able and willing to get a list or provide more details on the naming patterns?
I'm interested in contributing to some fans' efforts to give The Songography new life. Those filenames sure aren't sexy to the casual reader but they look super easy to catalog alphabetically.
It's not quite as straightforward as you'd hope. The files were named based on the shooting scripts, which often changed based on air order. So the episode that you'd think of as 505 is not necessarily numbered as 505 on Al's files. Also, there were not always six cues in every episode. Probably best to label them as 501 Al Intro, 501 [A-Guest] Intro, 501 Break 1, 501 [B-Guest] Intro, 501 Break 2, 501 Break 3, etc.
CB Johnny wrote:I should make it clear my primary interest in my recordings is for private use only so before anyone, especially newbies I never intereacted with, inch their cursor towards my inbox button: No, I'm not giving them away. Please don't ask. Thank you for your understanding!
Now would also be a good time for me to mention that I signed a non-disclosure agreement when I started working on Comedy Bang! Bang!, so I am unable to share the files with anybody (in case AMC's lawyers read WOWAY). :D
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
CB Johnny
Addicted

Post by CB Johnny »

Y'know, based on a line Scott said in the penultimate episode I had a feeling that air order didn't exactly correlate with production order very much. I was hoping that was just the case with the pilot.

So, yeah, Jon, this is greatly appreciated.

speaking of appreciation: I'm just in love with Al's stylings throughout the season as band leader. He has got the "it's so stupid it's smart" style to a tee. All the more when he does something with a little more.... shall we say.. structure such as when performing as "Sal" it's all the more funny.

That Emmy bait themed episode, too! His intro was comedy gold after so many episodes of him just letting the weirdness loose.

Here's to hoping all involved are able and willing to do another season in the future.

It was certainly magical for that brief time where Al was having new episodes of CBB and MML in the same week.