I'm In Luv Wit Da Skipper

No file trading allowed!

Moderator: Moderators

Keir
Obsessed

Post by Keir »

Well, they did an awesome job picking scenes in that case! I actually didn't realize the show was that old. I thought it was from the 70s.
Wishing you a Twisted Christmas and a Twisted New Year!
Ambra
Obsessed

Post by Ambra »

Keir @ Aug 13 2007, 01:46 PM wrote: Well, they did an awesome job picking scenes in that case! I actually didn't realize the show was that old. I thought it was from the 70s.
"Gilligan's Island" was originally on TV from 1964 to 1967 but went into sydication not long after it was cancelled. I remember watching it every afternoon at my grandma's when I was little so seeing Al's "twist" on a TV show I grew up with really made me laugh! I'll never watch that show the same way again!
"My mailbox keeps getting vandalized! Every morning it's full of decapitated action figures and empty inhaler canisters!"
stupidsurgeon27
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by stupidsurgeon27 »

I use to watch Gilligan's Island when I was little, but not too much. I already saw this performed at Summerfest and the OC Fair shows, but I never said anything to my friends since they were attending two shows with me later. I wanted it to be a surprise.

They hate me and love me now. At Des Moines, they really just couldn't believe it. They love/hate the song. Hate it because they've heard the original and hated that song, but they love Al's parody there.

They gave me a playful punch after it at Des Moines. Then one of them was coming out of her house, singing it and I cheered.
"Mr. Kim, we're Starfleet officers. Weird is just part of the job." -Captain Janeway
DonnaNoble
Off The Deep End

Post by DonnaNoble »

I just heard this song... MAN it was funny!! IT was the only one at the concert I didn't know ALL the words too... It was kinda nice in a way... new Al material!!!
Oh snap!
weird user
Addicted

Post by weird user »

Since Al did get permission to record this parody, and then chose not to, I wonder if he'll ever include it on a future album.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

By the time a new album comes out this will be too dated. Not in Gilligans Island terms, but in the original song. Although he could have had eBay on RWS but didnt have it until PH. But the answer is most likely no.
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
weird user
Addicted

Post by weird user »

minnick27 @ Sep 16 2007, 06:20 PM wrote: By the time a new album comes out this will be too dated. Not in Gilligans Island terms, but in the original song. Although he could have had eBay on RWS but didnt have it until PH. But the answer is most likely no.

Well, some song parodies were released after the original songs weren't currently popular. Examples include Ebay, Yoda (and not just because Al couldn't get George Lucas' permission at first), Girls Just Wanna Have Lunch, Jurrassic Park, The Saga Begins, and most of the Off the Deep End parodies (though we all should know that Al waited until he had a good enough lead parody to release that album).
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Well American Pie will always be a popular song, and it had been recently covered by Madonna when RWS was released. Plus the movie became an instant classic, so Al wanted a classic song. And I wanna say the same for JP. And as far as Lunch, Al was told he had to do a parody by his label, so it wasnt entirely his fault. And 1985 saw the release of the movie based on the original. And as you mentioned OTDE was just a total mess. Not musically wise, just that music sucked so bad it messed up the timing of the album.
weird user
Addicted

Post by weird user »

minnick27 @ Sep 16 2007, 11:29 PM wrote: And as far as Lunch, Al was told he had to do a parody by his label, so it wasnt entirely his fault. And 1985 saw the release of the movie based on the original.

Wait a minute... There was a movie based on Girls Just Wanna Have Fun?
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Yes there was. Although the song that was featured in the movie was a cover version, not Cyndi Lauper's. Although her version was a cover version.